Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

John Cleese and Andrew Graham Dixon

(359 Posts)
Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 11-Nov-21 18:58:47

Andrew Graham Dixon got into trouble at Cambridge University for impersonating Hitler during a talk he gave on art etc. The head of the Student Union said he would let other unions know that they shouldn’t let Graham Dixon speak at their unis. Then, John Cleese, who was also due to speak at Cambridge decided to withdraw before they did it for him. He has also impersonated Hitler. Don’t students like confrontation these days? I didn’t think students were delicate flowers who don’t like their equilibrium unsettled.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 12:57:27

Bless usual suspects. How pleasant.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 12:47:08

No, you're right. I realised that after posting. There are so many current threads connected by the authoritarian desire to stop free speech that I lost track of which it was. My mistake.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 12:36:18

Doodledog

She is important - but anyone who is victimised for having an opinion is important. The fact that she is well-known makes her a target, and the fact that she is a woman who has made a lot of money makes misogynists dislike her. She crops up in discussions about trans issues because she has been misquoted by so many people who are unable to point to what she has said that is transphobic.

All death threats are shameful, as are all attempts to cancel free speech; but on a thread about trans issues threats against people who are being targeted by TRAs are more important to the topic than others.

This isn't a thread about trans issues although I realise the usual suspects are trying to make it such.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 11:18:23

Who should be talking about women MPs?

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 11:16:17

She is important - but anyone who is victimised for having an opinion is important. The fact that she is well-known makes her a target, and the fact that she is a woman who has made a lot of money makes misogynists dislike her. She crops up in discussions about trans issues because she has been misquoted by so many people who are unable to point to what she has said that is transphobic.

All death threats are shameful, as are all attempts to cancel free speech; but on a thread about trans issues threats against people who are being targeted by TRAs are more important to the topic than others.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 11:11:48

Galaxy

I know this is hard but people can talk about any subject they like. I very very rarely talk about my work on here for example this doesnt mean it isnt very important to me. I think JKR in a sense is a special case as she is part of a picture that involves silencing of women in relation to their own rights, it includes julie bindel Kathleen stock maya forstater endless legal cases and on and on. Also weird masked men turning up anytime women gather on this issue. Women are talking about this across the country. They are not going to stop.

But perhaps what they should really be talking about is the women MPs.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 11:10:18

And sorry I think there are positions which are more important for women to fill and one of those is that of an MP. And the fact that they of necessity must meet the general public and appear at public events means that they need to overcome their fears and ignore the abuse. Something JKR isn't obligated to do. Yet it is always abuse against her that is referred to.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 11:08:41

I know this is hard but people can talk about any subject they like. I very very rarely talk about my work on here for example this doesnt mean it isnt very important to me. I think JKR in a sense is a special case as she is part of a picture that involves silencing of women in relation to their own rights, it includes julie bindel Kathleen stock maya forstater endless legal cases and on and on. Also weird masked men turning up anytime women gather on this issue. Women are talking about this across the country. They are not going to stop.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 11:03:16

Doodledog

Glorianny

Galaxy

What does her wealth have to do with it? How bizarre.

Her wealth provides her with degrees of protection other women don't have.

That's a very different stance from the one saying that abuse and threats to her are less important than those made to other groups, though.

But if you constantly go on about her and the threats as if she is an exceptional case and ignore the abuse and death threats made to other women what else are you doing except making her special and therefore more important? You don't have to say she's more important to make her appear so.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 10:47:30

Her wealth is one of the reason for the threats in my view. Its beyond irritating to them that her wealth means that cancellation doesnt have quite the same affect as it would on an author just starting out.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 10:45:48

Doodledog

Have you read the news lately, Glorianny? Julie Bindel was prevented from speaking about MVAWG in Nottingham because of her views on trans issues, and is suing Notts council.

Perhaps check your facts before posting?

Julie Bindel has said she will sue Notts council she hasn't yet started any action, so please check your facts before posting.
I really don't see what this has to do with death threats to JKR and women MPs.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 10:37:37

Glorianny

Galaxy

That's a very different stance from the one saying that abuse and threats to her are less important than those made to other groups, though.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 10:35:16

It protects in some ways and makes her more vulnerable in others. She is absolutely more vulnerable to assault for her opinions than I am for example.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 10:31:03

Galaxy

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 09:44:44

Have you read the news lately, Glorianny? Julie Bindel was prevented from speaking about MVAWG in Nottingham because of her views on trans issues, and is suing Notts council.

Perhaps check your facts before posting?

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 09:31:48

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 09:27:56

No one is "preventing" you simply pointing out that your views are not only obsessive but that you have no evidence to support them. That the people who pretend to be TRAs and threaten JKR may well be the same people who threaten other women in other guises. And that the same problems you post for JKR actually exist for other women and in particular MPs. Jess Phillips for example received over 800 rape threats. And forgive me but I find the abuse and threats made to women MP"s who are our elected representatives far more important than those made to a millionaire writer.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 08:56:57

Galaxy

There is an issue to be explored when women are threatened for expressing an opinion. In the way I would be flagging it up if/when women were being targeted for expressing views on abortion or views on the royal family.

Yes, and when we are prevented from talking about one subject because of our opinions on another.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 07:47:41

There is an issue to be explored when women are threatened for expressing an opinion. In the way I would be flagging it up if/when women were being targeted for expressing views on abortion or views on the royal family.

Iam64 Tue 28-Jun-22 07:35:33

No one is denying we have a problem with violence in our society. Particularly an issue of violence towards women, committed by men.
To try and dismiss concerns about the behaviour of some trans activists because of the general threats towards women is sinking low. Trans women who threaten to rape women to death with their ‘lady penis’ is definitely a trans issue.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 07:08:52

Chewbacca

^By the way JKR's address has always been widely available from the mansion she sold in Edinburgh to her present address which I found in one google^

So what??? confused I don't care if JKR's home address is written in flashing neon lights, with a huge arrow pointing down at it; the fact that TRA's and their allies feel it's perfectly acceptable to stand outside her home, shout obscenities and send her death threats through the post isn't an acceptable way for anyone to voice their disagreements with her or anyone else. But that's the same tactics that the same TRA's and their allies use to intimidate, silence and threaten the women leaving their peaceful discussion groups in Bristol and Manchester isn't it? Threats, violence and thuggery is their default reaction towards women. Not exactly the way to persuade any woman to stand beside and support them. angry

The article said her address had been maliciously leaked to the public, but it hadn't. It's fine to complain about people's actions but a little truth always helps things.

I see that raising the fact of death threats to other women has to be ignored for the chance of another trans rant. Death threats are always wrong but ignoring those made against some women because they just don't fit in with your perceptions of what is happening is totally wrong. You have no evidence of who has threatened JKR or if any of the same people are threatening women MPs. You simply assume you know because of personal prejudices. It is perfectly possible that unstable people use any excuse to justify the threats they are making and tailor those threats to each individual. So the problem is not a trans problem it's a problem for all society.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Jun-22 01:04:06

Well the crime stats for women are already being skewed Doodledog. Odd that innit?

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 00:02:10

No, and anyone believing that they 'just know' they're a woman is very wide of the ark if they think that thuggery like that is typical female behaviour - it really isn't.

That is maybe something else to worry about. If the notion of what is usual behaviour for women comes to include that sort of violence and threats, will that seep into expectations and normality for all of us?

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jun-22 23:41:24

By the way JKR's address has always been widely available from the mansion she sold in Edinburgh to her present address which I found in one google

So what??? confused I don't care if JKR's home address is written in flashing neon lights, with a huge arrow pointing down at it; the fact that TRA's and their allies feel it's perfectly acceptable to stand outside her home, shout obscenities and send her death threats through the post isn't an acceptable way for anyone to voice their disagreements with her or anyone else. But that's the same tactics that the same TRA's and their allies use to intimidate, silence and threaten the women leaving their peaceful discussion groups in Bristol and Manchester isn't it? Threats, violence and thuggery is their default reaction towards women. Not exactly the way to persuade any woman to stand beside and support them. angry

Glorianny Mon 27-Jun-22 22:24:11

Chewbacca

^I was commenting on the article posted which doesn't I think mention death threats^

Eh??? See post @ 18.11

*Such is the intensity of the debate, Rowling revealed earlier this year that she's had so many death threats she could wallpaper her house with them after trans activists doxxed her (meaning they published her address and personal information on the internet with malicious intent).*

By the way JKR's address has always been widely available from the mansion she sold in Edinburgh to her present address which I found in one google. Not published by any activist.