Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual art group Producing art using the Paint program

(72 Posts)
StarDreamer Sat 18-Jun-22 16:16:51

The Paint program is bundled with the Windows operating system. Thus although Paint is a fairly basic computer art program, it is widely accessible without neding to buy any additional software package.

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 19:51:08

Certainly way above fridge door standard!

StarDreamer Sat 16-Jul-22 08:33:50

Another journey through the Active discussions pop chart.

baubles Sat 16-Jul-22 09:00:29

Thanks for this thread SD, I hadn’t heard of Paint. I may look at it with a view to making cards.

StarDreamer Sat 16-Jul-22 09:18:12

Are you aware that there are websites where one can upload one's own art and it gets printed on a one-off greetings card with one's own choice of wording on the inside?

The card can be sent direct to the recipient or to one self. They say to send on to the recipient oneself, after adding a handwritten greeting, but I have sent them to myself anf framed them, each in a frame from the supermarket.

The websites are marketed as for adding a photograph to a card, but they do not actually print a photograph as such, they print the image that is encoded in an electronic file.

So if the electronic file, of the same image file format as a photograph, actually contains the encoding of an image produced as computer art, the system will print that image.

I use that method because I don't have a printer, but apart from that the prints are produced on industrial equipment on thick card and folded, so much better quality than I could produce at home with a typical home printer.

There is also a website for producing larger quantities, yet only a £5 minimum charge, but postage is extra to that minimum, but I think postage or courier delivery is free for orders over £40.

Saxifrage Sat 16-Jul-22 09:38:10

When my nephew was around 4 (nearly 40 years ago) I introduced him to the paint program and he drew a rather impressive tractor on it. He became friends with another little boy who lived over the field in rural Wales. They both became hooked on exploring computers. They both went on to do computer related degrees, they later formed their own company and now work for theatres, art galleries and companies all over the world on computer related video and design projects. So Paint has a lot to answer for.

ixion Sun 17-Jul-22 09:02:24

Bump.

ixion Mon 18-Jul-22 09:06:05

Bump.

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Jul-22 09:20:52

Like this?

StarDreamer Mon 18-Jul-22 10:28:40

Hi MawtheMerrier

Do you have a computer running Windows and thus has the Paint program available on it?

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Jul-22 10:54:10

No - like most people in the “creative” world, a Mac

StarDreamer Mon 18-Jul-22 11:23:08

Thank you.

twinnytwin Mon 18-Jul-22 11:37:08

StarDreamer, thank you so much for starting this thread. I have only just found it on Trending. I have been wanting to learn to paint on my iPad or pc (Windows) for years and this has really spurred me on to try. I am generally a watercolour painter (very amateur) but due to lockdown, I haven't picked up my brushes for almost three years. I've been sat behind my sewing machine instead, as I love to be creative. When I bought my iPad, several years ago, I included the Apple pen, so will give it a go later. If it's good enough for David Hockney to use, it's good enough for me. Thank you again.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 22-Dec-22 23:56:15

I’ve used the Brushes App on my iPad (because Hockney used it)and there have been others. One I have on there is Hue Paint and Memo which allows painting and drawing. I use an ordinary stylus I bought for about £9 in Rymans. All different brushes and pencils etc. Quite fun and of course there is no mess. I much prefer to paint as it transports me to,a calm that is not so evident on the iPad.

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Dec-22 07:23:45

Blast from the past?

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Dec-22 07:29:21

What a strange time that was!

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Dec-22 07:30:48

He was definitely taking the mickey wasn’t he

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Dec-22 08:34:36

Much trouble was caused

MrsKen33 Sat 24-Dec-22 05:31:42

I always thought the whole thing odd.

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Dec-22 05:34:11

It was a bit of a nightmare tbh Ken