Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main

(338 Posts)
StarDreamer Fri 01-Jul-22 22:04:27

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed in moderation, any food mentioned is vegan. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Jul-22 20:21:23

I'll have the apple thingy. smile

eGJ Thu 28-Jul-22 20:22:33

Just before we leave the areaStarDreamer a must is a visit here! www.gwf-frankenwein.de/node/10992# looking forward to the next stop?

MawtheMerrier Thu 28-Jul-22 20:27:53

Prosit! Zum Wohl!

StarDreamer Thu 28-Jul-22 20:28:51

eGJ

The most important item is the Rosenkranz Madonna which is beautiful and hanging from the chancel arch. ( carved in 1520s)

Thank you.

Here is a link to a video.

The video is in German but there are pictures.

LINK > Review of the robbery of the Madonna in Volkach 50 years ago (5 minutes 17 seconds)

Here is translation, using Google translate, of the notes supplied with the video.

> Review of the robbery of the Madonna in Volkach 50 years ago

> The most spectacular art theft of the post-war period in Germany took place in August 1962 in the Diocese of Würzburg. The Madonna figure from the pilgrimage chapel "Maria im Rosengarten" above the town of Volkach was stolen. The act happened from August 6th to 7th. The Madonna was released through a ransom payment of 100,000 Deutschmarks by the magazine "Stern", initiated by the editor-in-chief at the time, Henri Nannen. Ten years ago, when the crime was 40 years old, the ecumenical church magazine broadcast a film about the robbery and the happy return of the Riemenschneider Madonna. Among others, the well-known Würzburg press photographer and cameraman Hans Heer, who reported in 1962 for the regional daily newspaper Main Post in Würzburg, has his say. A look at our archive.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Jul-22 20:31:54

Cheers, Maw (I think!)

eGJ Thu 28-Jul-22 21:04:59

wine Maw in a Roemer glass!

StarDreamer Thu 28-Jul-22 21:05:49

MissAdventure

Are you up to something? smile
Are the lyrics funny?
You do make me smile.

Yes, the lyrics are funny, I was surprised, because Auf der Vogelwiese means On the bird meadow, so I thought - assumed smile that this was going to be some sort of homeland song about birds in the country air, that sort of thing.

However grin it appears that in the bird meadow an event was being held and there was a beer tent, and someone named Franz drank lots of beer. The somg relates that in the morning he was fit and well, but later, as the singing ends, he was "unter Tisch" - under (the) table!

grin

LINK > musikguru.de/ernst-mosch/songtext-auf-der-vogelwiese-474787.html

Auf die Vogelwiese ging der Franz,
Weil er gern einen hebt,
Und bei Blasmusik und Tanz,
Hat er so viel erlebt.

Das Bier im Zelt war gut und herrlich kühl,
Darum trank der Franz viel zu viel,
Früh am Tag war er so frisch,
Doch Abends lag er unterm Tisch.

Das Bier im Zelt war gut und herrlich kühl,
Darum trank der Franz viel zu viel,
Früh am Tag war er so frisch,
Doch Abends lag er unterm Tisch.

Google translate gives the following.

Franz went to the Vogelwiese,
Because he likes to raise one
And with brass band music and dancing,
Has he experienced so much?

The beer in the tent was good and wonderfully cool,
That's why Franz drank far too much
Early in the day he was so fresh
But in the evening he lay under the table.

The beer in the tent was good and wonderfully cool,
That's why Franz drank far too much
Early in the day he was so fresh
But in the evening he lay under the table.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Jul-22 21:31:25

grin
Very good!

StarDreamer Fri 29-Jul-22 08:39:39

Der Goldene Delfin has now moved to Volkach early this morning and is now moored.

Upon enquiry it was found that Der weiße Schwan, the coach that we travelled on for our overland trips from Würzburg is not available as it is on overland trip for another group.

However, a coach of the same type, Der weiße Pelikan, is on its way from Würzburg so as to take us on an overland shore excursion.

LINK > The route of Der weiße Pelikan

StarDreamer Fri 29-Jul-22 08:51:12

Yet first some music.

LINK > Adelheid (2 minutes 47 seconds)

silverlining48 Fri 29-Jul-22 09:00:33

That set my one good toe tapping. Thanks for starting my day off with a ?

eGJ Fri 29-Jul-22 09:44:15

It’s a little early for www.fraenkischer-weinfestkalender.de/weinfeste/frankens-groesstes-weinfest-in-volkach-2021;art18,1613185, but there are many places where we can all taste the vegan food and raise a glass or two before our outing. Why not visit this wonderful viewing platform?de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherndorfer_Lump

MawtheMerrier Fri 29-Jul-22 12:22:53

Aber ohne Würstchen mit Kartoffelsalat geht es nicht !

eGJ Fri 29-Jul-22 12:34:13

You’re right Maw, but there should be an alternative!

MissAdventure Fri 29-Jul-22 12:37:10

I'm not vegan, but I never eat sausages and haven't for years, unless they're meat free. smile
I think they're a great 'invention'.

eGJ Fri 29-Jul-22 12:50:28

We could stop at

[https://www.hinterhoefle.de/?cookie_button_check=true

Vegan menu and ambience under the wine leaves and it looks as though they would be able to accommodate all of us

StarDreamer Fri 29-Jul-22 13:28:31

MawtheMerrier

Aber ohne Würstchen mit Kartoffelsalat geht es nicht !

My German is ofnadwy.

StarDreamer Fri 29-Jul-22 13:35:48

eGJ

We could stop at

Vegan menu and ambience under the wine leaves and it looks as though they would be able to accommodate all of us

I looked at that website and at the right it has

Tisch reservieren

and I realised that Tisch means table as I learned that from that song about Franz being unter Tisch. grin

StarDreamer Fri 29-Jul-22 13:42:58

eGJ

We could stop at

I have tried to find the vegan menu without success.

Can you advise me please?

eGJ Fri 29-Jul-22 13:56:36

StarDreamer The Hinterhofle review as vegan is at Happy Cow www.happycow.net/reviews/hinterhoefle-volkach-72249

StarDreamer Fri 29-Jul-22 14:04:35

Thank you.

MawtheMerrier Fri 29-Jul-22 17:41:16

2 vegane Gerichte im Hinterhöfle Volkach

Hmm.könnte schmecken aber nur zwei vegane Gerichte? - das ist ja kein veganes Restaurant.
Ich hätte lieber eine größere Auswahl.

MawtheMerrier Fri 29-Jul-22 17:54:18

@eGJ - you’re the expert on Frankenwein . Is it is fact vegan?
I have recently read the following
The reason that all wines are not vegan or even vegetarian-friendly has to do with how the wine is clarified and a process called ‘fining’. All young wines are hazy and contain tiny molecules such as proteins, tartrates, tannins and phenolics. These are all natural, and in no way harmful. However, we wine-drinkers like our wines to be clear and bright.
Most wines, if left long enough, will self-stabilize and self-fine. However, traditionally producers have used a variety of aids called ‘fining agents’ to help the process along. Fining agents help precipitate out these haze-inducing molecules. Essentially, the fining agent acts like a magnet – attracting the molecules around it. They coagulate around the fining agent, creating fewer but larger particles, which can then be more easily removed

Hiraeth Fri 29-Jul-22 18:54:00

Sorry, I’ve been searching on the web but can’t find any vegan restaurants in Volkach if we travel on the coach to Würzburg 25 Kilometers there’s more choice . We could go to the Krautheimer beer garden and have a lovely Franken beer ?

eGJ Fri 29-Jul-22 20:11:52

MawtheMerrier There are a few vegan Franken wines www.alko.fi/en/products/white-wine/vegan/franconia/germany?SkipToId=product-tile-927063&SkipNextSeed=true the atmosphere in Hinterhoefle is splendid and you can just drink the wine? I’ll join you all on the trip from Volkach to drink more Franken wine!