Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

A discussion of the possibility of an enhanced virtual cruise

(99 Posts)
StarDreamer Thu 04-Aug-22 16:00:07

The concept of virtual cruise threads seems to be working well.

The Virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main Click here to view is going well and has several active participants and maybe there are also other people reading, watching the linked videos, and enjoying the virtual cruise.

I have various ideas for future virtual cruises, such as the Valley of the Loire in France, first gathering in Paris and then travelling to the cruise ship by TGV train.

I have an idea that I put forward in this thread for consideration please, wondering if it might appeal to readers, yet wondering if it might be a virtual event too far.

So here is the idea.

Could we have a virtual cruise in a place where participants do not know the language, but we simultaneously try to learn some of the language using the free Duolingo course?

Proceeding slowly, at the pace of the slowest, starting to use the language bit by bit aboard the virtual cruise as we learn from the Duolingo course and explore the country.

For example, if we are taught how to say Good morning in the language in the course then we sometimes use it in the virtual cruise thread.

One needs to register, free, to continue after the first lesson in
Duolingo. Duolingo by default sets your profile to public, but it can be made private.

So can we discuss whether people like the idea of a cruise with language learning please?

If interested, please suggest ideas for where to go and which language.

I have thought of two possibilities thus far, but I will not mention them yet.

There can be an ocean going cruise ship as well as a river cruise ship if that is what is needed.

Here is a link to the languages available on Duolingo.

LINK > Doulingo courses

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:32:59

I’m tempted to open up a new Argy bar……..grin

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 16:36:42

A summer jamboree, maybe? smile
All those bikinis will be going to waste otherwise.

Chewbacca Sun 07-Aug-22 16:37:44

Shirley48 @ 16.19, exactly so, thank you. If you do decide to open a new Argy Bar, I'll pop in if you can guarantee that Big Jim will be there; he was always popular!

Fabulous Turner painting Joseanne thanks for sharing.

Joseanne Sun 07-Aug-22 16:38:24

MissAdventure

Oh, I know Tone.
Tony carpet - used to have a shop selling offcuts years ago.
That Tone? smile

Antonius surely!

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 16:39:17

Toni’s Taverna? grin ??grin
Go to maintain the Tone.

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:39:40

Have you been looking in my wardrobe, MissAdventure?! I have dozens of itsy bitsy teeny tiny polka dot bikinis (ha! In my dreams!)

Yes, maybe some refreshing cocktails, with exotic names……

MawtheMerrier Sun 07-Aug-22 16:42:23

MissAdventure

A summer jamboree, maybe? smile
All those bikinis will be going to waste otherwise.

Brilliant idea! Pina coladas at the ready? ??????

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 16:42:26

Joseanne

How about an Italian lake crawl starting with a trip on the Bernina Express to get to know each other first? Any one who derails the thread or causes trouble can be removed at St. Moritz to do a bit of free fall. We might see narmuts and ibex.
Now where have I put Gino d'Acampo's number? ? ? ?

I now have visions of GN members flailing down a snowy mountain, that will teach them a lesson indeed.
I like to read the comments on any foreign virtual holiday tour.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 16:44:42

The cocktail names are half the fun of ordering them.

My friend, on holiday asked a barman if he could give her a "screaming orgasm".

Then said "Oh, if I'd known you were going to take so long, I'd have done it myself!" grin

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:48:30

MissAdventure

The cocktail names are half the fun of ordering them.

My friend, on holiday asked a barman if he could give her a "screaming orgasm".

Then said "Oh, if I'd known you were going to take so long, I'd have done it myself!" grin

grin

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:48:40

Bar now open…….

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 16:50:16

Shirley48

I thought Argy style referred to a more casual, chatty, friendly, humorous style of communication as previously exemplified on Gransnet on the threads centred on a virtual pub, The Argy. It’s a style of humour that some people here do not like / understand? A bit risqué, a bit letting yourself go, having actual fun……

I was thinking it may be like Gangnam Style and was prepared to do a happy dance.
I do enjoy a drink and friendly chat though so may we have a bar on the this next cruise?

Prentice Sun 07-Aug-22 16:52:37

sorry Shirley48 I did not see your comment.
are we all in the bar now? I would enjoy a cocktail right now.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 16:53:37

Have fun! smile

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:54:38

Prentice

sorry Shirley48 I did not see your comment.
are we all in the bar now? I would enjoy a cocktail right now.

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1313991-Welcome-to-the-all-new-summer-special-Argy-Bar-buy-one-cocktail-get-two-free

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 16:55:37

Come and have a cocktail, MissAdventure?

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 17:21:03

I may pop on for a slow comfortable screw against the wall.
Just a quicky, though. wink

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 17:24:25

I’ll alert the waiters to your requirements…

MissAdventure Sun 07-Aug-22 17:26:53

A bit of a mouthful.
And also a quick, slow, comfortable screw against the wall.

Shirley48 Sun 07-Aug-22 17:29:18

I’m sure someone in The Argy will be able to fulfil your needs

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 19:25:56

Lucca

StarDreamer

I have now started a thread for the non-Argy virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/culture_arts/1313983-Virtual-cruise-from-Venice-along-the-river-Po-with-the-option-to-learn-some-Italian

The reason for the delayed start is so that the virtual cruise from Mainz along the river Main can continue uninterrupted towards and then at its destination of Bamberg and any side trips both from Bamberg and during the transit from Bamberg to Venice can take place unhurriedly.

LINK > www.rome2rio.com/map/Bamberg/Venice#r/Train

Ok. Just checking that by non Argy you mean no banter/joking? I’m not attacking you… (although I do feel I shouldn’t have to specify that..just dont fancy being deleted) just asking.

If you’re planning Italian learning this you may need to tone down the not mentioning non vegan food…they aren’t big on that in Italy !

Hello Lucca.

You wrote Ok. Just checking that by non Argy you mean no banter/joking?

That is correct.

I think there is scope for there being a number of separate threads, each thread having its own style, then readers can choose to prticipate in one, some, all, or none, as they wish, and if everybody respects the style of the thread that they happen to be in, then that could be good.

> If you’re planning Italian learning this you may need to tone down the not mentioning non vegan food…they aren’t big on that in Italy !

Well, I didn't put it in the heading post of the new thread, so as to, as one might say, meet half-way, but if there are multiple threads where food is mentioned that if meeting half-way in the thread that I have started were to happen, well, then that would be good.

Lucca Sun 07-Aug-22 19:30:10

*You wrote Ok. Just checking that by non Argy you mean no banter/joking?

That is correct.*

Ok so that’s pretty proscriptive isn’t it ?

Enjoy your cruise though,

eGJ Sun 07-Aug-22 19:44:23

Aperol spritz anyone?