Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

(269 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 14:54:23

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed, together with the option of synchronised learning of some of the Italian language using the free Duolingo language course. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

LINK > www.duolingo.com/courses

Participants using Duolingo will need to register, free, with Duolingo.

Registering with Duolingo does, by default, make one's profile public. On a computer, one can make it private by clicking on the blue disc at top right, choosing Settings, scrolling down and then choosing Privacy Settings, then unchecking the checkbox that is labelled Make my profile public.

Chewbacca Fri 12-Aug-22 18:01:16

I've seen the Astronomical Clock many times but didn't know that!

StarDreamer Fri 12-Aug-22 17:43:10

Joseanne

Yep, maybe. Thanks.
I'm thinking posters are now less interested in the on board cruise bit, but more in the culture etc. So putting the location first gives it more prominence.

A new thread has now started.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/culture_arts/1314201-Venice-and-the-river-Po-a-virtual-cruise

All are welcome to participate please.

Marydoll Thu 11-Aug-22 14:18:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 14:15:59

Good.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Aug-22 14:15:16

Hi all, and thanks for the reports, we'll take another look at this thread now.

We're fine for this type of thread to run for those who find it fun and interesting. However, if the thread isn't to your taste then it might be best to ignore it rather than post as this tends to derail the thread into a series of arguments. We certainly don't want anyone to feel driven off the site - that's not really in the spirit of what Gransnet's all about.

Please do report anything that breaks our guidelines or continues to take things off-topic.

Hopefully things can get back on track now.

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:09:49

MissAdventure

MichaelGransnet

Hi all. We've removed a number of posts that were derailing the thread, hopefully things can get back on track now.

Please would you take another look at this thread.
The behaviour is carrying on, as it always does.

Thank you.

I have reported this thread - probably for different reasons.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 14:06:03

MichaelGransnet

Hi all. We've removed a number of posts that were derailing the thread, hopefully things can get back on track now.

Please would you take another look at this thread.
The behaviour is carrying on, as it always does.

Thank you.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 13:54:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

Sundaze Thu 11-Aug-22 13:53:06

What a surprise...another pile on.

ixion Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:59

Why don't you popover to the Argy Bar and ask them yourself?
I'm sure you will be made most welcome- and they do a very presentable alcohol-free Mint Julep.?
Here they are -

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1313991-Welcome-to-the-all-new-summer-special-Argy-Bar-buy-one-cocktail-get-two-free?msgid=29558342

Kate1949 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:52

What a very strange thread this is.

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:38

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 13:42:28

I think that this thread should be put out of its misery.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 13:38:19

pincers wrote Otherwise it's just a long string of links to places to see and daily lessons in very basic Italian.

Well, generally speaking, yes. Hopefully together with some discussion of the places and including bits of Italian as they are learned, even if at first it is me writing "Io sono un uomo." and some of the ladies each writing "Io sono una donna."

I know that might seem trivial to do and it may well be.

However, I look at it from a pure mathematics viewpoint. start with the very trivial then add a little, then a little more and so on.

I appreciate that it may be "two cultures" stuff, and that that way of thinking is different from the way that those who chose to do "arts" think.

I suppose that one could regard the river Mainz virual cruise as "a long string of links to places to see" and some discussion about them and a little creative writing about the names of the cruise ships (plural) and the names of the coaches used for the overland trips, and some music.

But I certainly enjoyed it and some others also enjoyed it.

If you want an Argy cruise, you can have one. I can have one on my own offlist. I enjoyed the company on the river Mainz virtual cruise, but if Argy is decided upon I can proceed alone offlist. Please decide among yourselves what you want.

Casdon Thu 11-Aug-22 13:37:32

Here’s my explanation. I’d say from the outside that the Argy is a virtual bar where Gransnetters who don’t have a poker up their arse let their hair down and have a laugh. It’s not for me, but it’s open to all, there’s no compulsion to participate, and no rules, the same as all threads on Gransnet should be.

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:25:58

kittylester

This is all ridiculous! The thread should be allowed to wander as do conversations in the real world.

Gransnet has become far to rigid.

Hear hear!

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 13:14:20

ixion

Quotes deleted post

Well, some time ago on another thread, someone mentioned Argy and I asked what it meant and nobody would say.

Today, someone asked what it meant so I replied as I now understand the term to mean. If you can provide a better explanation then that would be helpful. The definition needs to convey the meaning clearly.

kittylester Thu 11-Aug-22 13:11:58

This is all ridiculous! The thread should be allowed to wander as do conversations in the real world.

Gransnet has become far to rigid.

Joseanne Thu 11-Aug-22 12:35:17

Hen do?
That's good, I can pick up some ideas for my future wedding. Did you know there's is a lace museum on the island of Burano, near Venice which used to be the seat of the famous Burano Lace School from 1872 to 1970. Stunning pieces!

pincers Thu 11-Aug-22 12:33:27

It seems very harsh to me, and, by implication, not a nice thing to say about the many posters who enjoy a bit of Argy humour. I haven't noticed anybody else on the cruise objecting to it, please correct me if I'm wrong. It would inject some fun along the way wouldn't it? Otherwise it's just a long string of links to places to see and daily lessons in very basic Italian. Even what we can eat seems to be in doubt, though only a tiny proportion of the UK population are vegans. I don't think this is for me.

ixion Thu 11-Aug-22 12:07:35

Basically, rowdy hen party smut

Ooh, a little harsh there, StarDreamer, don't you think?

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 12:05:13

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 12:02:03

dragonfly46

The problem arises Stardreamer is that when you start a thread you try to own it and direct it the way you want. All threads on here go off on tangents that is the nature of the forum surely.

I am going to leave it here, however, as I am in danger of being suspended for simply interacting with you.

Well, the Mainz river cruise went off on a tangent for a while, a very enjoyable tangent of a short cruise on another river and a visit to a city not on the planned route.

But it was all very polite company. So no problem.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 11:59:03

Baggytrazzas

ok, thanks for clarifying. I am not usually rowdy hen party, but do sometimes have a " toilet" sense of humour, so maybe it would be best if I didn't join this time around because I don't want to get anyone into trouble or in fact detract from your efforts. But I hope you all enjoy your sail!

Well, it is not a matter of whether people ever do it, it is a matter of whether they do it in the thread.

Whether you choose to participate is for you to decide.

I cannot guarantee that the thread will not "go Argy" at some stage. However, if it does, I will leave and try to find something else to do instead.

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Aug-22 11:56:07

The problem arises Stardreamer is that when you start a thread you try to own it and direct it the way you want. All threads on here go off on tangents that is the nature of the forum surely.

I am going to leave it here, however, as I am in danger of being suspended for simply interacting with you.