Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

(269 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 14:54:23

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed, together with the option of synchronised learning of some of the Italian language using the free Duolingo language course. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

LINK > www.duolingo.com/courses

Participants using Duolingo will need to register, free, with Duolingo.

Registering with Duolingo does, by default, make one's profile public. On a computer, one can make it private by clicking on the blue disc at top right, choosing Settings, scrolling down and then choosing Privacy Settings, then unchecking the checkbox that is labelled Make my profile public.

StarDreamer Wed 10-Aug-22 22:33:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

MissAdventure Wed 10-Aug-22 22:41:17

I'm sure it's fine for threads to meander, rule wise.
I find it strange that people would want to constantly come into a thread to talk about their own preferences and complain that others aren't keen on it being taken over.
Particularly when it is always to a thread that one particular person has started.

MawtheMerrier Wed 10-Aug-22 22:43:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

StarDreamer Wed 10-Aug-22 22:48:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

Lucca Thu 11-Aug-22 04:59:17

MissAdventure

I'm sure it's fine for threads to meander, rule wise.
I find it strange that people would want to constantly come into a thread to talk about their own preferences and complain that others aren't keen on it being taken over.
Particularly when it is always to a thread that one particular person has started.

Not this again.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 05:01:06

Oh you naughty woman! flowers

Lucca Thu 11-Aug-22 05:08:51

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 05:11:53

Lucca Thu 11-Aug-22 05:35:32

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 05:39:59

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 07:15:24

Well, cruising looks fun. I’ve never fancied it in real life, and this thread’s confirmed that!

Baggytrazzas Thu 11-Aug-22 08:11:45

Shirley48, cruising is brilliant, but largely depending upon your co sailors all wanting to share similar experiences or cordially agreeing on trying new adventures. Lol

Chewbacca Thu 11-Aug-22 08:52:26

Quite so Baggy and I'm hoping that StarDreamer will be back shortly to start guiding us to the beginning of the cruise; the last one he conducted was excellent. Such a shame when petty squabbling spoils things for everyone.

Joseanne Thu 11-Aug-22 09:07:02

Andiamo.
Or there's no point my racing across France today to meet up tomorrow.
I want Maw and Lucca to stay for their in depth knowledge of the language, and the Arts, I'm happy for Stardreamer to navigate and to research places, someone to take on the meteorology might be helpful too. I have a reputation for good dining and would be more than happy to offer choices and research restaurants, but not exclusively vegan, to accommodate all the voyagers. Hoping someone will also enjoy designer shopping with me too. Is Milan on the route? ? ? ? ?

Joseanne Thu 11-Aug-22 09:09:25

Il punto è chesiamo tutti diversi.

And to think I didn't know one word last week. ??

Joseanne Thu 11-Aug-22 09:10:05

che siamo

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Aug-22 09:26:30

Hi all. We've removed a number of posts that were derailing the thread, hopefully things can get back on track now.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 09:52:36

Joseanne asks Is Milan on the route?

The river Po does not go to Milan. However, the journey can include Milan as an overland side trip using a coach, provided locally.

LINK > Map

The cruise is likely to be characterised by overland side trips as a number of interesting places are not next to the river Po.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 09:52:37

I caught up with this thread in the early hours.
I must say that I’m shocked at the amount of deletions.
Some of the posts were a bit over the top, maybe a bit daft, but hardly worthy of deletion.
I didn’t realise that posts could be deleted for ‘derailment’.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 09:53:28

I’d better be quiet, I suppose ?

Joseanne Thu 11-Aug-22 09:53:32

Ma che diamine

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 10:11:26

Does one Duolingo learning lesson each day meet general approval?

If so, should it begin on Saturday in Venice, or should it begin on Monday as the cruise ship begins its journey from Venice towards the mouth of the river Po, or something else?

After the first Duolingo "circle" (what is the correct parlance?) of learning lessons is complete then revision exercises lessons will become available, which can optionally be done, and if done can be done either all at once or bit by bit later, returning to reinforce earlier learning after the learning lessons of other "circles" have been completed.

Participation in learning some Italian using Duolingo is entirely optional, however I hope that people will try at least the first lesson if they feel they can please as that does not need registration.

Can we have tacit agreement that the ambience is non-Argy please, as it is mixed company, and anyway not everyone wants Argy humour. The river Main virtual cruise was non-Argy.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 10:15:08

Excuse the pun, StarDreamer, but I think that that ship may have sailed

Chewbacca Thu 11-Aug-22 10:15:54

If we could have a bit of a wander around over the weekend, before starting the cruise on Monday, that would be great. I'm happy with the non Argy ambience too! smile

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 10:16:08

FannyCornforth

I’d better be quiet, I suppose ?

Your participation is welcome Fanny as you are always delightful and kind.

I hope you will try to join in the language learning too please.