Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Venice and the river Po, a virtual cruise

(149 Posts)
StarDreamer Fri 12-Aug-22 16:10:55

Venice and the river Po, a virtual cruise

MissAdventure Sun 14-Aug-22 23:53:17

That was interesting.

There is a Murano island, where you can see the glass being made.

It can be slippery, (and I'm a terrible coward about those kinds of things!) so be careful not to slip into the water.

Some places refuse entry to people who are dressed in skimpy clothes.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 00:19:51

LINK > Murano Walking Tour AND Glass Demonstration (48 minutes 24 seconds)

LINK > Go straight to the Glass Demonstration

LINK > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldstone_(glass)

Joseanne Mon 15-Aug-22 09:09:09

Kate1949

I'll come Chew. I've also been to Verona. I stood on Juliet's balcony and shouted down to my husband 'oi Romeo take my photo.'

It's simply impossible to visit Verona without watching this film, Letters to Juliet. The views of the city on camera are beautiful and the story isn't at all slushy.
An old lady in search touchingly of a lost live in Tuscany. I can identify.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 09:48:24

Il delfino gentile is now beginning the journey across the Adriatic sea towards the mouth of the river Po and then upstream to Polesella.

As we journey across the sea, the optional group learning of some Italian using the Duolingo course begins.

At a pace of one learning lesson each day as far as possible.

Participants may, but need not, each day post a sentence in Italian of what they have learned in the course thus far - it is no matter if someone else has already posted the same sentence.

A link for those readers who choose to consider the possibility of participating in this optional thread activity of learning some Italian.

LINK > www.duolingo.com/courses

I tried two lessons the other day, yet I have now reset the Italian course so that I can now participate in the course from the start.

There is no minimum number of participants needed for the optional activity to continue day by day.

I am not a linguist. If anyone gets stuck, I will try my best to help if I know the answer. However, maybe someone with a good knowledge of Italian might participate and be pleased to help. Participants are encouraged to discuss the course.

After the first lesson participants will need to register with Duolingo. This is free, but, alas, by default the profile is public, but this can be switched to Private straightforwardly.

This is by clicking on the blue circle at top right, then clicking on Settings, then clicking on Privacy Settings, then unchecking the box next to Make my profile public.

Kate1949 Mon 15-Aug-22 09:52:05

Thanks Joseanne. I'll look for that film. Our visit to Verona was fleeting.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 10:16:45

It is entirely optional, but as I follow the Italian course I am intending to make notes in a notebook of words and sentences as they arise in the course.

I have been learning some Welsh from the Duolingo course for a few weeks now and I have been making notes of words and sentences as they arise in an A5 notebook. I am finding that very helpful. Doing that means that it takes me longer to complete each lesson, but I find that doing that is very helpful to me.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 13:00:22

LINK > Adriatic cruise (1 minute 15 seconds)

Not I^l delfino gentile^ and I don't know where, but this thread is a simulation and I hope that this video helps set the ambience.

In the simulation we have now entered the river Po and are travelling upstream to Polesella.

I am about to start the Duolingo Italian course.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 13:11:59

I have now completed the first lesson of the Duolingo Italian course.

Io sono un uomo.

That translates into English as

I am a man.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 13:34:49

LINK > Polesella

LINK > Salita al campanile di Polesella (10 minutes 5 seconds)
Climb to the bell tower of Polesella

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 14:41:48

Participants who would like to visit Ferrara, can board the tour's own fully-equipped custom luxury coach L'aquila cortese which is leaving soon to travel to Ferrara.

LINK > FERRARA walking tour (41 minutes 13 seconds)

I have not watched all of this video at the time of writing this note, but what I have watched is hot-rolled, that is there is no editing, so that means that a continuous walk is displayed. I like continuous walks.

There are subtitles available. The subtitles from time to time display information text that has not been spoken.

StarDreamer Mon 15-Aug-22 22:11:31

L'aquila cortese has now returned to Polesella, where Il delfino gentile is moored.

Tomorrow there is due to be an overland trip on L'aquila cortese to Vicenza.

Vicenza is famous for buildings designed by Andrea Palladio.

LINK > Andrea Palladio

StarDreamer Tue 16-Aug-22 09:32:59

Buongiorno.

Today we are visiting Vicenza, famous for the architectural works of Andrea Palladio.

From this video I have learned of how he produced those white columns.

I had not known of that method until this morning.

LINK > Vicenza and Palladio: a sightseeing tour | Italia Slow Tour (5 minutes 47 seconds)

StarDreamer Tue 16-Aug-22 16:22:54

I have now completed lesson 2 of the optional cruise activity of learning some Italian using the Duolingo Italian course.

Un ragazzo mangia una mela.

A boy eats an apple.

The apple in Italian is 'la mela' and is grammatically feminine, hence una rather than un.

StarDreamer Tue 16-Aug-22 17:04:34

LINK > The Palladio-designed buildings of Vicenza (1 hour 24 minutes 45 seconds)

StarDreamer Tue 16-Aug-22 17:14:00

LINK > Palladio Villas 2016 (34 minutes 11 seconds)

A video consisting of a sequence of still images.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Aug-22 18:59:41

Hello stardreamer.
I havent forgotten the cruise, but well, the usual problems, and have had some issues to try a.d sort out, too. smile
I shall spend this evening catching up with all the new places.

I have my two grandsons here now smile

FarNorth Tue 16-Aug-22 23:04:47

Io Sono una donna smile

FarNorth Tue 16-Aug-22 23:05:24

Oops re capital S.

StarDreamer Tue 16-Aug-22 23:50:11

Grazie, FarNorth.

Thank you, FarNorth.

StarDreamer Wed 17-Aug-22 09:38:15

The start of a two-day shore excursion today as the tour's own fully-equipped custom luxury coach L'aquila cortese takes those who want to go to Bologna today and to Modena tomorrow.

Also, for those who wish to participate, the third lesson of the Duolingo Italian course.

LINK > The route from Polesella to Bologna and Modena

StarDreamer Wed 17-Aug-22 09:48:16

LINK > Walking in BOLOGNA (1 hour 11 minutes 59 seconds)

Joseanne Wed 17-Aug-22 10:19:26

Anyone fancy a visit to the ice cream museum in Bologna? I'd like to try my hand at making a gelato mango. ? ?
It's the bambino in me, or is that bambina? ?

StarDreamer Wed 17-Aug-22 11:24:33

I have now completed the third day of the optional virtual cruise activity of trying to complete one lesson each day of the Duolingo Italian course.

This means that I have now completed Basic 1 and now two more "circles" of lessons are available for me.

Also, a TIPS section for Basic 1 is now available for me.

So, here is a sentence that I have devised from what I have learned in the course so far.

L'uomo beve l'acqua.

The man drinks the water.

The Duolingo method of teaching is, in my opinion, excellent. I hope that some more participants in the virtual cruise will consider trying the Duolingo Italian course please.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Aug-22 15:50:17

The glass making is very good - I'm surprised at how little fuss is made.
I'd be worried with the flames and hot glass! smile

StarDreamer Wed 17-Aug-22 17:32:50

I appreciate that some participants in this virtual cruise have no interest in participating in the optional activity of synchronised learning of some Italian using the free Duolingo course.

However, if there is anybody who would like to participate yet does not feel confident to try, please know that if you do try but get stuck I will try to help you as best I can. I am not a linguist but I will do my best.