Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Joe Lycett

(200 Posts)
SusieBQ Sun 20-Nov-22 18:00:36

Joe Lycett has apparently shredded £10,000 of his own money as an objection to David Beckham’s involvement with the Qatar World Cup. Makes me sad to think what good could have been done with this money.

Callistemon21 Sun 20-Nov-22 19:53:16

FannyCornforth

What if he’d spent 10 grand on a holiday? Or 100 grand on a car?
Would you be saying that under those circumstances he should have given his money to less well off people?

No, sorry.
Spending like that keeps people in work.
The more rich people spend the better for jobs and the economy.

Shredding money is just pointless.

FannyCornforth Sun 20-Nov-22 19:59:31

I totally understand where everyone was is coming from. I’m not an expert on these things.

But.
What is an acceptable way to protest?
Anyone??

grannydarkhair Sun 20-Nov-22 20:02:28

Fanny, I don’t have an answer to that. The bottom line for me is that the tournament shouldn’t be held in Qatar in the first place.

Callistemon21 Sun 20-Nov-22 20:03:00

Publicity - shame DB into donating his £10 million to worthy causes?

SusieBQ Sun 20-Nov-22 20:10:32

Quite agree - how he spends his money privately is his business, this just seems a tasteless publicity stunt which will have no effect on the situation in Qatar. £10,000 would go a long way in helping smaller charities in UK or Qatar.

lixy Sun 20-Nov-22 20:12:51

FannyCornforth

Would you be saying that under those circumstances he should have given his money to less well off people?

No, I wouldn't.
Spending money benefits other people, destroying it as a gesture is horrifying, especially after the last few days of high-publicity fundraising for Children in Need.

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 20:14:27

I agree with Fanny and Elegran.

If JL had said 'I'll give £10k to gay charities if you don't go, and give the same amount to the Trussel Trust if you do, Beckham could easily have taken credit for the TT's receipt of the money.

It had to be all or nothing or it wouldn't work. Also, if he is found to have cheated, he will have ruined his point.

I'm not saying it was the wisest move, and he's probably kicking himself; but he has succeeded in making DB look bad. Whether he'll care enough about his damaged reputation as a gay icon is another matter, as he was paid £150million to be an ambassador; but it's not great PR, is it? And Beckham's PR is what brings in the money these days.

rafichagran Sun 20-Nov-22 20:16:52

I find his gesture pointless, that money could have helped someone.

multicolourswapshop Sun 20-Nov-22 20:29:03

I’ve just watched a documentary about quatar . How can anyone support that country David Beckham should be ashamed and removed from all his sponsors he would soon change his mind about his support of quatar once it hit his pocket.

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 20:29:23

rafichagran

I find his gesture pointless, that money could have helped someone.

It is unlikely that it would have been given to someone, though. And as I said, if he had given it to charity anyway, the gesture would have been pointless. As it stands, gay icon Beckham appears to have done gay charities out of the donation, as well as acting against their interests by acting as ambassador. Plus, we are talking about it on Gransnet, so as a publicity stunt it worked.

Elegran Sun 20-Nov-22 20:37:30

nanaK54

FannyCornforth

No I wouldn't
Doesn't it feel completely different to you that he shredded the money?

As far as poor people are concerned, there is no difference between shredding the money and blowing it on a luxury cruise that they don't even get a packet of crisps from. Or spaffing it up against a wall, as a very different celebrity would say.

What would it have cost him to take out a full-page ad in every newspaper and have people talking on social media about David Beckham and Qatar? A quick online search brings up prices like £56,000 for a full-colour ad in the Sunday Times. That could have been how he nailed his colours to the mast and demonstrated how strongly he felt about Beckham and Qatar. If he had done that, you wouldn't even have known how much he'd paid, and it wouldn't have made a splash. (With Campaignlive he could have had the best ad in every UK national newspaper in one go for £375,000. All it takes is money)

But he is a flamboyant celebrity, so he made a flamboyant gesture - and carried it through to the end, without wimping out when he was going to lose out on it. Good for him!!

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 20:46:20

But he is a flamboyant celebrity, so he made a flamboyant gesture - and carried it through to the end, without wimping out when he was going to lose out on it. Good for him!!

Yes, his PR has done well out of this, and Beckham's has gone downhill. It remains to be seen how it all plays out though - DB's PR team is second to none, so my guess is they'll pull something out of the bag before long.

henetha Sun 20-Nov-22 23:35:23

I do hope he didn't. I really like Joe Lycette and can't believe he would be that stupid. Would he?

Callistemon21 Mon 21-Nov-22 00:00:03

If he went to the bank and tried to take out £10,000 would they let him? They might think it was a scam.

Kim19 Mon 21-Nov-22 03:55:07

His PR hasn't done well everywhere. I've moved him from affable to idiot.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Nov-22 05:01:30

Pictured: Gransnet approved protest 😃

Elegran that is a really interesting point about paid advertising.

However we agree or don’t agree on these things (I was also ‘out of step’ with the thoughts on the soup flinging), it’s a really, really fascinating topic.
And one which will become even more relevant and hotly debated in the coming months.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Nov-22 05:58:51

👀 he says it better than I can.

Darryl Morris 🇺🇦

@darrylmorris
If you feel uncomfortable about Joe Lycett shredding £10,000, that’s exactly the point.

It’s a statement on discomfort and money: at Qatar’s oppression of gay people and David Beckham profiting from them.

It’s performance art. It’s supposed to make you feel.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Nov-22 06:09:44

Harry Kane and Christian Bale will be wearing rainbow armbands at their opening games today

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Nov-22 06:18:46

WhiteWave re performance art. Dare we mention what The KLF did?
It makes Lycett’s £££ look like a drop in the ocean

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Nov-22 06:34:10

This sort of thing has history.

Performing arts have always been used to make political comment.

It hopes to provoke reaction.

rafichagran Mon 21-Nov-22 07:34:12

FannyCornforth

Harry Kane and Christian Bale will be wearing rainbow armbands at their opening games today

Yes, there is talk that Harry Kane might be yellow carded for wearing the rainbow armband. Its shocking if they do that.

MerylStreep Mon 21-Nov-22 08:12:21

Am I the only one who watched Got your Back
Here is just one of Joes success stories.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=joe+lycett+%2B+catch+the+scammers&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:dca59e1a,vid:gSHxFrDraEw

Lucca Mon 21-Nov-22 08:19:00

JaneJudge

It is David Beckham that is problematic. He thinks he will get a Knighthood for queuing up to see the Queen's coffin but is also supporting competition in a country that that is set up to control women and sexuality. The Fa have years to change their mind too. The amount of people who have died building the stadium/s in poor working conditions from other countries is concerning. Exploitative. David Beckham supports this. It's far worse than a publicity stunt from anyone

Absolutely agree JJ

Parsley3 Mon 21-Nov-22 08:54:06

Joe's £10000 is small change compared to the millions that Beckham is being paid. That's what I take from it.
Also wearing rainbow armbands but taking the money? Big deal.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Nov-22 09:22:58

He could have given the money to Samantha Peterson