Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Sinead O’Connor has died.

(53 Posts)
grannydarkhair Wed 26-Jul-23 19:22:40

She was only 56. Not one of my favourite singers but I do think she had a great voice.
RIP Sinead

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66318626

MayBee70 Thu 27-Jul-23 12:36:57

Morrisey has written a great tribute for her which, unfortunately likens himself to her and she was nothing like the horrible person that Morrissey has become (or probably always was).

HousePlantQueen Thu 27-Jul-23 12:37:01

A troubled soul with a beautiful voice and a great songwriting talent. She fought all her life it seemed. I don't know how she died, but I do suspect it was my her own hand as the fight seemed to go out of her when her adored son died. I was truly saddened when I heard the news.

icanhandthemback Thu 27-Jul-23 12:41:14

MayBee70

Morrisey has written a great tribute for her which, unfortunately likens himself to her and she was nothing like the horrible person that Morrissey has become (or probably always was).

I am not a fan of Morrisey in any shape or form but I read what he had to say about the tributes from the industry and I agree with him there. Where were they when she was struggling? They weren't calling her an icon or legend then, she was just a thorn in their side who wouldn't conform. RIP Sinead O'Conner, I hope you find the peace you never found in life.

shamene Thu 27-Jul-23 12:45:48

Rip..
lovely lady
May she be blessed in heaven..
Ameen..
🤲🏻💐

shamene Thu 27-Jul-23 12:46:27

Rip
Lovely lady
May she be blessed in Heaven
Ameen
🤲🏻💐🤲🏻

Kate1949 Thu 27-Jul-23 12:48:11

I believe Sinead said her mother was violent and abusive towards her. I think Sinead was a lost soul.

icanhandthemback Thu 27-Jul-23 13:20:26

Kate1949

I believe Sinead said her mother was violent and abusive towards her. I think Sinead was a lost soul.

Indeed and some people never get over that.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 27-Jul-23 13:43:10

The recent long interview with her has been widely announced on the radio but I’d decided not to listen. I always found her awful life very depressing and expected this kind of news anytime in the last twenty or so years.
She’d also lost her son in the last eighteen months. RIP troubled lady

Ilovedragonflies Thu 27-Jul-23 14:08:52

I'm gutted. May she R.I.P.
A beautiful soul with a beautiful voice who, I hope, is now reunited with the son she lost 18 months ago.

Kate1949 Thu 27-Jul-23 15:37:10

That's what I was thinking icanhandthemback as some of us know only too well. My heart goes out to Sinead.

Farmor15 Thu 27-Jul-23 16:01:33

www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0727/1396805-sinead-oconnors-teacher-recalls-fateful-gig-and-demo/
Interesting interview with one of her former teachers - he seems to have had some role in launching her career though she would have made it anyway.

hollysteers Thu 27-Jul-23 19:24:10

Farmor15

www.rte.ie/entertainment/2023/0727/1396805-sinead-oconnors-teacher-recalls-fateful-gig-and-demo/
Interesting interview with one of her former teachers - he seems to have had some role in launching her career though she would have made it anyway.

For all her (justified) criticism of the Catholic church, it was a nun who first set her on the road to fame. Finding her musical, she started guitar lessons then. She was already playing the guitar when the teacher above came across her.

The same can be said for convent educated soprano Kiri te Kanawa. The nuns were her first teachers and set her on her path to international stardom.
I sometimes wish I had known such a nun as a pupil!

3nanny6 Thu 27-Jul-23 19:40:26

Sad news to hear of the passing of Sinead O'Connor , she was a beautiful person with a lovely voice.
I do hope she is now reunited with her beloved son Shane whose death last year left her devastated.
Condolences to all the family she has left grieving.

R.I.P and rest peacefully you will remain a legend in Ireland,

Kandinsky Thu 27-Jul-23 19:41:09

Even though she was my era, musically I only know her for ‘nothing compares to you’ - & that was written by Prince.
I honestly couldn’t name any other song she sang?
I know her more for her activism & converting to Islam.
She always seemed extremely troubled so I hope she can now rest in peace.

Oreo Thu 27-Jul-23 20:53:39

HousePlantQueen

A troubled soul with a beautiful voice and a great songwriting talent. She fought all her life it seemed. I don't know how she died, but I do suspect it was my her own hand as the fight seemed to go out of her when her adored son died. I was truly saddened when I heard the news.

I agree, and also a beautiful woman.

Ethelwashere1 Fri 28-Jul-23 06:59:33

So sad to hear this . RIP. A lovely brave lady

Granmarderby10 Sat 29-Jul-23 07:54:12

FannyCornforth

Grandmaderby I was often mistaken for her in the very early nineties.
Someone once ran after me, down Normanton Road!

Also the actor David Rintoul (Dr Finlay).
He was very unpleasant when he realised that I wasn’t Sinead.

Sorry FannyCornforth if I’ve read your post wrong, but do you mean that people mistook you for David Rintoul, or *David Rintoul ran after you ?
And if so what was he doing down Normanton Road! Just wondered 🤔

NanKate Sat 29-Jul-23 08:22:49

I don’t know a lot about S O’C but have read an interesting article today about how she exposed how children were being sexually exploited by some in the Catholic Church and how she caused an outcry by ripping up a picture of the Pope. A very brave woman in my opinion. RIP. 💐

MayBee70 Sat 29-Jul-23 21:03:24

Documentary about her starting on Sky Arts now. Channel 11

rubysong Sat 29-Jul-23 21:19:51

I've been listening to S O'C sing 'Peggy Gordon'. Beautifully sung with great emotion. "A troubled mind can know no rest." Hopefully she has found rest.

MayBee70 Sat 29-Jul-23 22:00:31

I really knew so little about her. It happens a lot, people that are so much part of your life but you don’t really find out about them till they die. Usually in tragic circumstances. It’s only dawned on me recently how difficult it is being famous. I guess I always thought that famous people wanted to be celebrities. Not that they had a creativity inside them that pushed them into a limelight that they didn’t really want to be in, like a moth in a flame.

eddiecat78 Sun 30-Jul-23 08:37:06

The documentary was very good. I hadn't been aware of the backlash she experienced after criticizing the pope - in an interview from that time a female journalist actually said Sinead was so horrible that she deserved to have been abused as a child!
I also hadn't previously registered how beautiful she was - especially her eyes

MayBee70 Sun 30-Jul-23 11:25:34

No. I was ashamed to realise how brave she was. And confused as to why her mothers death upset her so much when she had been so vile to her. How can anyone treat their own child ( or any child) that way. She hated Prince because of his attitude towards women ( I didn’t like his film Purple Rain although I suppose it was of his time) and his trust wouldn’t let them use the song in the documentary. Then, afterwards, Sky Arts showed one of my favourite concerts, PJ Harvey performing Let England Shake, an album I never tire of.

Grannynannywanny Sun 30-Jul-23 11:37:08

I read this yesterday. I vaguely remember it back in 2013. It’s an open letter Sinead sent to Miley Cyrus when she claimed her controversial Wrecking Ball video was inspired by Sinead’s music.

amp.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/03/sinead-o-connor-open-letter-miley-cyrus

MayBee70 Sun 30-Jul-23 11:47:46

Wow.