Dieting & exercise

Monday 7th Nov weigh in.

(32 Posts)
glassortwo Sun 06-Nov-11 23:07:14

Good luck everyone!!

But I must warn you I am expecting 9lb 5oz from each of you this week grin
it can be done, ask sba grin grin

crimson Wed 09-Nov-11 16:08:19

Sounds like an incredibly healthy diet tp me, Greatnan.

Greatnan Wed 09-Nov-11 19:56:24

Thanks you, Crimson, it is also very enjoyable!
I definitely feel the endorphin rush when I am walking and some of my more adventurous climbs bring on the adrenaline too! My motto is 'I will be very secure in the grave - now I want adventure'.

One of my grandsons became addicted to exercise and body building when he was about 18. He started to attend the gym nearly every night and put up a bar in his bedroom to do pull-ups. He was spending a lot of money on dietary supplements which seemed to be just whey powder. He does kick-boxing and also surf boarding (in the North Sea.....brrrrr!). Fortunately, he is now taking an NVQ in Public Services - I am not too clear about it but I think it is preparation for entry into the emergency services. It includes a lot of physical exercise - he is the least academic of all the children, so he is delighted to have found a course that is not solely classroom based. He is about 6' 3" and although he has developed his upper body muscles he remains about 12 stone.

I began my new walking regime today, as it was beautifully warm and sunny in this part of Switzerland. I found a path through a forest beside a river that tumbled over rocks in a series of waterfalls. The path was quite steep, but not the 'pulling myself up by tree roots' that I often tackle. I wanted to walk on and on, but I just did a circular trip of 90 minutes. This seems such a bizarre obsession, but it seems it is not that unusual.
I have not mentioned this to anyone else - you are a great bunch and I have listened to all your advice.
By the way, my arthritic knee has improved enormously since I started walking - I think I have strengthened the surrounding muscles and tendons.

crimson Wed 09-Nov-11 20:37:38

In my youth I lived in Cornwall and just walked for miles [had no car]. Would think nothing of walking to the coast and sleeping on the cliffs. In answer to what Butternut asked, it's the knee that causes my lack of confidence. If my driving and map reading was better I'd think nothing of driving to the peaks and walking for the day on my own. One of my jobs also involves walking so I'm too tired to walk for pleasure when I've finished; the work makes me think of walking as not pleasurable and a bit of a chore. It's all in the mind, methinks confused.

crimson Wed 09-Nov-11 20:38:17

...were better....

glassortwo Wed 09-Nov-11 21:41:09

Lost the 1lb I gained last week.

Notsogrand Wed 09-Nov-11 22:32:59

Well done glass, it's always harder to get off what you've put on!
I'm sure these extra pounds we're all losing will help to sweeten our voices for the Gransnet Singalong!