Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

No milk ( or eggs) allowed diet?

(41 Posts)
AlieOxon Wed 06-Jun-12 13:45:08

This one not for losing weight, but for colitis...anyone else here?

AlieOxon Mon 18-Jun-12 09:03:03

Sorry, Ella!

Ella46 Mon 18-Jun-12 08:45:24

It's ok I just googled it! I thought it might be another alternative milk for me to try. hmm

Ella46 Mon 18-Jun-12 08:43:33

Alie What's Vitalite?

AlieOxon Mon 18-Jun-12 08:39:47

Now trying goat milk, semi-skimmed - tastes great (I had it years ago)...so far no bad reaction. Actual nice tea! Also Vitalite, the only one I can find without some sort of milk product in it...I don't like olive oil either (sorry Olive).

I have still to experiment with the goat milk, and don't know if I can cook with the other.

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 19:48:08

well done allie.
the alpro goop worth a try - there is a choc one too.

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 19:43:45

I've just made some perfectly edible custard with the rice milk. Could be a little thicker and sweeter next time, maybe. I ate it with some mango that I stewed so as not to waste it

Thing is, I haven't yet liked anything with soya.............

Ha! Can I make semolina too with rice milk?
I think this is comfort food, you know....

jeni Wed 13-Jun-12 19:13:47

I've just found a nondairy custard at waitrose made I think by alpro.

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 18:43:46

Blooming spellchecker corrects my typing. Thinks it knows best.
There is a kind of soy vanilla dessert called alpro that is a bit like custard.

flowerfriend Wed 13-Jun-12 18:27:13

Anyone can live without milk products or substitutes. I do and have done for more than fifty years.

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 10:25:55

No. - I check what's in everything now!
Cornflour, salt, colour and flavouring.

I will retry the experiment with the rice milk...but it may not work....

absentgrana Wed 13-Jun-12 10:17:52

AlieOxon Doesn't that have dried egg in it? (Perhaps you're okay with that.)

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 09:59:06

Custard powder!

absentgrana Wed 13-Jun-12 09:35:39

AlieOxon I don't see how you can make custard without using eggs, never mind changing the type of "milk".

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 09:28:51

Love the typos.

Psyllium sounds like (cheerful) gloopy fibre - and less expensive than some. Everything that's purified is bloody expensive.

Manuka apparently hits bad flora and doesn't affect the right ones...I hope.

I am proceeding by trial and error.......and exclusion

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 09:08:24

Sorry I am confusing things probably here.
Was certainly not recommending fybogel - a distraction!

I think the trick might be to find a form of gloomy fibre (cellulose type) that gently smooths things along, and not a kind of fibrous fibre that can irritate sore gut. One is abrasive and the other is not.

As far as gut bacteria are concerned - does manuka help them? I had not heard this specifically.

2 possible ways that I know to settle gut bacteria - yoghurt bacteria (same as they have in yakult etc) but they tend to be milk based. So the purified versions may help to restore the inner ecosystem. This is just a theory as far as I know. They can help reduced the duration of infectious diarrh. and prevent but not treat antibiotic related diary.

the other way is prebiotics - that feed up your gut bacteria. these are naturally found in lots of veg foods BUT many of them may be too fibrous-fibery for your tender innards. Again you can get purified versions. And again, early days, theoretical and evidence is thin on the ground.
May be worth asking your doctor next time you are in hospital as they might prescribe, possibly.

But the priority is to find the diet that gives you the most comfort and calm!

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 08:44:43

Jess - Jacey said about fat molecules in milk. Re probiotics, I had three courses of antibiotics before the eventual diagnosis......messes up the flora, but then I am taking manuka honey now and that is supposed to help

I have just looked up fybogel (psyllium), as I didn't know what it was, and found this
"In one study of people with ulcerative colitis, psyllium was as effective as the prescription drug mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, Asacol) in maintaining remission. (However, for some people with IBD, too much psyllium can make symptoms worse.)"
Yes I'm taking Pentasa now along with the prednisolone.

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 08:42:11

no probs ella smile

Ella46 Wed 13-Jun-12 07:58:31

Jess sorry smile

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 07:29:26

I was just checking cos she said it was the fat molecules in milk were the problem.

Ella46 Wed 13-Jun-12 06:41:23

Jess Alie can't have milk, so no yoghourt.

JessM Tue 12-Jun-12 22:18:31

yes you can get probiotics in pills - but do you need them? If its the fat - then does v. low fat yoghurt work for you? That's probiotic.

basically 3 types of fibre
1. rough stuff like bran, woody fibery stuff,
2. cellulose (like fybogel) - smooth goop that retains water and helps to soften stools. Melon would be a good source. Or other soft non seedy fruit, without the skin. Or lettuce.
3. other complex carbohydrates that are known as prebiotics or soluble fibre - oligosaccarides etc. These are the ones that feed your gut bacteria. Found in various vegetation. You can buy them in purified form.
It is a nuisance that the way they classify fibre is so unclear. ANd then you have the probiotic/prebiotic confusion as well!

nanaej Tue 12-Jun-12 20:13:50

I take 2x probiotics tablets a day which have helped

Ella46 Mon 11-Jun-12 21:02:03

Alie You can buy probiotic tablets at health food shops I think.

AlieOxon Mon 11-Jun-12 20:17:31

Hi Jess. Sorry about delay in answering....I've had a bit of a heavy time this last week.
I've just gone back to your piece about fibre and realised that my problem is that it's the opposite emphasis to what I am doing - it's pro-eat-more-fibre when I am having to cut it down, which is why I wasn't taking it in when I read it before.

Bran I understand. It's rough.
Cellulose...I guess I am eating that in cooked vegetables? (Not eating raw veg.)
I don't understand about soluble fibre found in oats, fruit and veg, I think.

So - I am avoiding milk, eggs, rough fibre - beans, peas - also a lot of preservatives, and sodium glutamate. I'm cooking my veg well. I can't stand soya!

All the 'probiotics' seem to be milk!

Jacey Mon 11-Jun-12 19:03:20

Yes JessM ...that's what I had to do ...remove all dairy products from diet ... then tried non-dairy substitutes to find ones that didn't bring back the intolerance issues.

I was told that my body was reacting against the size of the fat molecules in dairy products hmm