Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

5:2 Fasting Diet

(381 Posts)
GrandmaH Tue 29-Jan-13 15:41:08

Has anyone else tried this or is trying it now?
I started today & it looks too easy to be true.
I missed all the hype last summer & only heard about it in Rado Times last week so i would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.
First day of fasting & to be honest I feel quite normal but then I often forget lunch anyway if I'm busy.
I cannot believe how much weight I have managed to put on in a year following some family problems- typical comfort eater! Now I need to get myself in hand quickly.

Aka Tue 17-Dec-13 08:14:26

Actually think it's a great time to start.

Icyalittle Tue 17-Dec-13 07:19:58

Right, that's it. I can't stand it any longer. I am starting TODAY with a Fast Day. Wish me luck and I'll be back for some support if you don't mind.
(I know just before Christmas is probably a daft time to begin really).

mrsbennet Sat 14-Dec-13 08:07:59

I started the 5.2 diet at the beginning of the year after seeing some great results for a few friends who are a little bit older than me. when I stick to it it works well! I have loads more energy and have lost weight. I notice that I need some inspiration and another friend recommended a new ebook which is completely inspired me.

I notice that it is free today on amazon.

I'm particularly interested in good health so the green smoothie part is really useful, it has made a huge difference to my levels of hunger, and reading the book makes me understand why the diet works. It's chatty, informative and I recommend you have a look. It's called The 5.2 diet meets the green smoothie, a perfect match!

If I can work out how to put the link in I'll do it now!!
www.amazon.co.uk/The-Meets-Green-Smoothie-Perfect-ebook/dp/B00H6C4U74

NanaKath3 Mon 25-Nov-13 22:46:35

Hi Maggie
Hope you have a great time in Dubai. 5:2 will be waiting for you as we'll as all of us when you get back! grin

MaggieP Mon 25-Nov-13 19:38:25

Wow, NanaKath3 that is impressive and you deserve to feel pleased with yourself!
I am enjoy my two fasting days and it certainly seems to work, however am just about to fly off to see Family in Dubai so fear it will be a hard slog on return !!

NanaKath3 Mon 25-Nov-13 19:18:21

This is my first week on 5:2 diet and am delighted to say I have lost 5lbs. For me this is a miracle......don't usually do diets, but I have found this simple enough for even me to cope with! smile

kalexie Sun 17-Nov-13 11:41:18

Nelliemoser it may be that as the diet progresses your stomach possibly shrinks a bit and so you feel fuller on smaller portions.

I think that there's quite a large psychological element as well to having smaller portions on the non-fast days as I'm finding that I don't want to undo the good work that I've done the day before. Also having to reduce to 500 calories twice a week makes you more aware of just how calorific some things actually are.

henetha yes, it is indeed a wonderful feeling when your clothes start getting too big. Big motivation to carry on to target weight and then the perfect excuse to indulge in some retail therapy, lol!

henetha Sun 17-Nov-13 10:56:58

The 5.2 diet is the only one which has ever really worked for me.
I've lost about 12 lbs and finding it relatively easy to maintain.
On non diet days I don't eat as much as I used to, the diet days seem to
diminish my overall apetite.
One side effect, - my clothes are now too big, and that's a great feeling!

I'm going to stick to this diet (with a break for Christmas), but in time when I reach my target weight I shall reduce it to one day per week.
6.1 instead of 5.2.... smile

Nelliemoser Sun 17-Nov-13 10:46:00

Kalexie I found the slight light headedness goes as you get used to the diet.
Has anyone else found that they seem to need smaller portions than they used to?

kalexie Sun 17-Nov-13 10:09:28

Hi again.

Had my second fast day yesterday. I had scrambled egg with just a touch of semi-skimmed milk and a cup of mint tea for breakfast. I decided to have fish & mixed veggies again but instead of having it all at once at tea time and skipping lunch, I had the fish at lunch time and the mixed veggies later to avoid the light-headedness that I experienced on the first fast day. This worked really well and I felt much better.

Also having smaller portions of my normal meals on non-fast days. Because it doesn't actually feel like I'm 'on a diet' I think that this is going to be really easy to stick to.

How is everyone else doing?

J52 Thu 14-Nov-13 19:08:25

Kalexie. I sometime experienced light headed ness at first, but it soon went away. I think it was due to low sugar. Harley's do 10 cal jellies, they may help. Recently had the same feeling when I woke, after a very low cal day. I felt I had eaten too much in the previous day. I now know moderation is a better way! X

kalexie Thu 14-Nov-13 10:42:03

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Good luck to all you Gransnetters out there who are doing the same.

Well, I got to 5.30 pm last evening when I decided to make my fish and veggies and felt so light headed when I stood up that I was afraid I was going to pass out but that obviously passed when I'd had something to eat.
Did anyone else experience this at first? Does it improve as you get used to having the fast days?

I too, like others, thought I would be absolutely ravenous by this morning but I wasn't hungry at all. Just going to have what I normally have now until next fast day but I will half the portion size.

Keep up the good work everyone xxxx

J52 Wed 13-Nov-13 18:59:09

Well done kalexie. Keep going! You will get there. I keep pair of my larger size trousers as a reminder. It took me a year to lose 3 stones. But during that time my who attitude,due to food changed. Alternate day 500 cals suited me best. Now, a year and 3 months later, I do 5:2 to maintain my weight. Good luck! X

MaggieP Wed 13-Nov-13 15:27:55

Well done kalexie for making a start and good luck to you. This week I am finding it impossible to have two free diet days, as so busy out and meeting friends, but next week I will definitely try harder. My nephew who has done this for a few months and looks much slimmer says he doesn't weigh himself anymore but judges how his clothes fit and he is back into trousers that fitted him two yrs ago! I am hopeful toogrin

kalexie Wed 13-Nov-13 14:31:07

I need to lose a serious amount of weight, probably 3 stones would be really good.

I piled on the pounds after moving to France nearly 6 years ago. There's a reason why France is well known for it's baguettes, croissants, pastries, etc. because they are to die for. As I don't have any scales I'm not sure what I weigh exactly so I am going to judge weight loss by dress size. Am currently in size 16/18. After reading through this I feel really motivated to shift the weight and get back into clothes I thought would never fit again.

So, today is my first fast day. I had half the amount of my normal breakfast cereal this morning and have skipped lunch, as this is where I consume the majority of my daily calories, and just had a cup of mint tea instead. The time is now 3.30 pm and I don't actually feel hungry, which I am quite surprised about! I plan to have plain fish and mixed veggies for dinner.

I have just gone through my trousers that I can no longer fit into and have arranged them in order of size from biggest to smallest. I am going to keep the biggest pair out on view until I can fit into them again and so on until I can get into the smallest pair. I am thinking that will hopefully keep me motivated when or if hunger pangs strike.

I'm feeling really optimistic about doing this. Will keep posting on progress.

shysal Wed 06-Nov-13 15:22:52

I only ever weigh myself the morning after a fast day, otherwise it seems rather up and down.

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Nov-13 10:14:34

maggiep This seems to happen to me. I put weight on on holiday because I am not "good" but it seems to go pretty quickly when back on the 5:2.

MaggieP Wed 06-Nov-13 10:09:12

I am just reaching the third week of 5:2 diet, after years of WW and always struggling to be something slim, ( never have been but there is always hope!!) I am enjoying this diet. I can manage the fasting day and enjoy the freedom the other days without going mad.
However I have lost 4-5 lbs, part of that was extra weight after a two week summer French holiday.
I then put back 2 pounds and felt really peeved! Today after a fast day yesterday the 2 lbs are off again.
Is this how it goes? Please let me know if its similar for some of you. smile

wombat22 Tue 08-Oct-13 16:42:33

Having read through loads of forums, I am going to be starting 5:2 tomorrow. Good luck all smile

Reddevil3 Tue 08-Oct-13 12:06:01

I think this 5:2 is fabulous. It's really just a different way of eating without feeling deprived. When on Weight Watchers or Slimming World there are things you aren't allowed which to me was so boring. I have lost 12 pounds in the last 11 weeks.
I am one pound off my goal weight and once achieved, will continue fasting just once a week so that I maintain the weight loss.
Best thing (for me, anyway) ever invented!

janthea Tue 08-Oct-13 11:34:12

Thanks wombat22 I will.

wombat22 Mon 07-Oct-13 22:08:31

The Harcombe diet is low carb. It is very restrictive for the first 5 days (phase 1) but having done it before, i can confirm that it eliminates cravings for sweet things and carbs. I lost 8lbs in 5 days before. You then move onto phase 2 which means you can introduce carbs but you cant mix carbs and fats at the same time. That's where I came unstuck but I'm determined this time. Google Harcombe diet. Zoe Harcombe debunks loads of dieting myths and explains why most diets fail. Here goes. I ll be posting my losses in the weekly weigh in (hopefully) grin

janthea Mon 07-Oct-13 15:32:05

What's the Harcombe diet?

wombat22 Mon 07-Oct-13 13:39:22

It's good to see some are still having good results. I fell completely off the diet wagon. I'm thinking of starting the Harcombe diet tomorrow. Tried it before and had a good result but couldn't fathom phase 2. Will try again and hope this will be my last diet?grin

J52 Thu 26-Sep-13 16:23:27

Janthea, we all seem to react differently to the 5:2. I found it easier to do alternate days. Have you tried that? It probably allows for the biscuits because in fact you are cutting down to 3 days of 500 cals. Hope it works. X