Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

The Gransnet 10,000 steps a day club

(659 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:23:39

So, the NHS says: "Research shows that walking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve your health. Putting one foot in front of the other can build stamina, burn excess calories and give you a healthier heart."

It's not the easiest thing to get started with, but - having been doing it since January - my own experience is that it definitely gets easier (indeed addictive. At the start it was "agh, 10,000 steps". Now I'm more "only 12,000 steps today?!")

One thing I have also found is that - as with dieting and our weigh in threads - having somewhere to talk to other people doing (or trying) the same thing, to encourage each other or to have a good old moan when it's all getting a bit much is a very good thing indeed.

So here inspired by this thread from TerriBull and for all those who are doing it, trying it, would like to give it a go, is the great Gransnet 10,000 steps club.

(I'm at 6,451 so far today btw!)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 31-Dec-14 23:08:12

I have done 12,132 steps today. My new Fitbit says I am a champ. tchsmile

shysal Wed 24-Dec-14 12:15:10

You are welcome appygran. I look forward to hearing how you are getting on.

appygran Wed 24-Dec-14 11:31:54

Can I join the club? I enjoy walking and getting out in the fresh air but am finding it difficult to manage to achieve my 10,000 steps per day during these winter months. I manage it only by doing a last minute walk in the dark before bed. I must follow your example shysal and do it early in the morning. I do walk my dog every morning and evening but she is getting cantankerous and old and will only follow her own route and decides when she has had enough and wants to go home.

shysal Wed 24-Dec-14 06:43:08

I hope to keep up the regime over the holidays. I have been doing the full whack early in the mornings to get it out of the way. How are you all doing? Season's greetings to everyone in the' club'.tchsmile

chloe1984 Sun 07-Dec-14 10:35:01

Well the housework hasn't been done in a while I just manage to crawl from the chair into bed but apart from that am enjoying it. However think this will definitely be the last time as didn't realise how used I am to doing my own thing grin

shysal Sun 07-Dec-14 10:19:22

I was wondering how work was going for you chloe, glad you are enjoying it. You must be very fit now, with that daily total!

chloe1984 Sun 07-Dec-14 08:08:58

I too am still here as I have a few weeks work over Christmas in retail I have been averaging around 25000 steps per day most days . Needless to say am not as fit as I thought am enjoying it but will not be unhappy when it's over.tchsmile

shysal Sun 07-Dec-14 07:15:42

Hope you enjoy it onmyown. I am definitely motivated to go out every day, whereas before I wouldn't always bother. (I am also 'on my own')

onmyown Sun 07-Dec-14 01:47:15

Thanks for this - must get a pedometer. I walk quite a lot but some days I don't go out. This 10,000 steps target will help motivate me. Good stuff tchgrin.

shysal Sat 06-Dec-14 20:36:25

My pedometer is working again, it has even retained it's memory. Considering water was sloshing around inside the display, I am amazed!
I am still managing to achieve at least 12,000 steps most days, usually finishing after dark.

yogagran Sat 06-Dec-14 20:23:11

Hope you manage to get it working again shysal, you're right when you say that it almost gets obsessive. I wear a FitBit and it's always a feeling of achievement when the notification flashes up on my phone saying that I have met my step goal for the day grin

shysal Sat 06-Dec-14 17:16:39

I am feeling stressed! My pedometer is in pieces drying out after going through a washing machine cycle. I was puzzled by a beeping from within, and on opening the washer, found that it was the personal alarm going off. I had not realized quite how obsessive I had become with planning and counting my 10,000 steps. I feel bereft without the pedometer! It shouldn't be a problem really, as I know exactly how long it takes to do the required distance. It has already survived a dunking in the cats' water bowl, so I am hoping for a full recovery.tchsmile

TerriBull Wed 26-Nov-14 11:17:22

Hi fellow 10,000 a day steppers, this thread seemed to disappear for a while, I'm still sticking at it, I do my best to hit that mark most days, some days I exceed it by a couple of thousand and very occasionally like last Sunday when the weather was foul I was about 8,000 short shock That's quite rare though I'm glad to say.

shysal Wed 26-Nov-14 09:53:51

When I retired 8 years ago I planned to start a dog walking/sitting business or even litter picking in the village, to keep me active. So far I haven't found time to do either! I hope your job is enjoyable chloe.

chloe1984 Wed 26-Nov-14 09:26:49

I too am sticking to it but have managed at my advanced age to find a Christmas job for a few hours a week so hoping that helps with my exercise and my need to drop a few pounds before Christmas. Totally different from the job I retired from after thirty years but a lot of fun just hope I can stand the pace with all the usual Chrismas rush coming up. Have already written my cards and wrapped my presents just in case I have to spend my days off laying on the sofa grin

shysal Wed 26-Nov-14 08:22:29

I am still sticking to the regime, but rather reluctantly at times.
DGS1 is going on a school trip to the Westfield Centre tomorrow, he hasn't inherited my loathing of shopping. I did all my Christmas shopping a few days ago without leaving the house, but of course no exercise was involved!

chloe1984 Mon 17-Nov-14 19:30:41

Only 8733 for me yesterday but managed 13753 today as have been walking around the Westfield shopping centre in London as my DH wanted to revisit his childhood home unfortunately they pulled it down and put the Olympic Park on it!

chloe1984 Sun 16-Nov-14 14:38:02

No managed to stay dry but got a little distracted by detouring into Boots and Marks and Spencers smile

Nanabelle Sun 16-Nov-14 09:52:36

Was just about to go out after early church today and down came the rain - it's now bucketing down, so I'm off to read my book with a lovely cup of coffee! Hope you didn't get wet chloe.

chloe1984 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:45:50

Have had a couple of days when I haven't been as active as I should due to
visiting the cinema instead of going for a walk and finishing reading a book which I always prefer to any sort of exercise. However am back in the zone so off for a walk this morning.

Versavisa Sun 16-Nov-14 09:35:30

After a couple of weeks of being pleased to get to 5k a day (and sometimes much less!) I took myself into London yesterday. After I'd finished what I'd gone for I decided to wander wherever I felt like.

Very interesting just strolling down roads and paths to see where it would lead me, knowing I had an Oyster Card in my bag of course.

Managed to do just over 20,000 steps and really enjoyed it. Will do it again some time.

Now to try and keep it up!

shysal Sun 16-Nov-14 06:57:05

I have managed around 11-12,000 for the last 3 days, and hoping for my usual Sunday double amount today. This area seems to have avoided the severe weather which had been forecast, thank goodness, so no excuses.

Nanabelle Sat 15-Nov-14 23:35:12

Somehow I managed 10906 today, mostly walking around lots of shops (our Tesco is huge) and also walking to put up posters! Must have gone up and down our stairs a lot too I think! My Fitbit says this is 4.85 miles so similar to shysal's steps per mile. I am tall and have long legs; obviously everyone is a bit different!
Let's hope for some drier weather this coming week so we can get out and about again.

whitewave Fri 14-Nov-14 08:51:08

Yes I realize it can only be an average but thanks anyway.

shysal Thu 13-Nov-14 22:31:53

whitewave, for my stride length 10,000 steps cover about 5 miles and takes about 1.5 hours.

Back on track today with 11,529.