Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

The Gransnet 10,000 steps a day club

(658 Posts)
Pittcity Wed 30-Jul-14 17:22:54

I will start tomorrow because it's nearly tea time now!! brew

MrsPickle Wed 30-Jul-14 17:21:46

I keep my Fitbit tucked into my bra! It would be extra incentive to join this club, please.

chloe1984 Wed 30-Jul-14 15:15:40

My phone app is called Accupedo was free on the Apple App Store. It counts the steps,converts it to miles also my speed and calories used. Keeps a daily chart for me not sure how accurate it is as I never had to input a stride measurement in but does at least give me an idea of how far I have walked that day

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 15:06:58

I have a pedometer (there are lots of fancy ones out there but you can get a basic step counter - which is all you need - pretty cheaply online)

Also lots of smart phones have apps that can do it for you (much prettier but I like the convenience of something small enough to keep in my pocket all day long - make every step count and all) A lot of people I know use the phone one and are very happy with it. It also keeps a log (I do too but manually)

Or counting is an option - but not one I recommend (I may have tried this)

Grannyknot Wed 30-Jul-14 15:03:08

phoenix I think there is an app for it ...

I remember this from a couple of years ago, and whoever was promoting it then gave out free pedometers. I did it then so I know roughly e.g. how many steps it is to the rail station from where I live etc. So I kind of do it "more or less".

Anyway gonna look for an app now smile will let you know if I find one.

henetha Wed 30-Jul-14 15:01:10

I've been to keep-fit this morning so can manage hardly another step!
But I will give it a go tomorrow. How do I keep count?

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 14:33:32

How on earth do you keep count, or have you got a pedometer?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Jul-14 14:23:39

So, the NHS says: "Research shows that walking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve your health. Putting one foot in front of the other can build stamina, burn excess calories and give you a healthier heart."

It's not the easiest thing to get started with, but - having been doing it since January - my own experience is that it definitely gets easier (indeed addictive. At the start it was "agh, 10,000 steps". Now I'm more "only 12,000 steps today?!")

One thing I have also found is that - as with dieting and our weigh in threads - having somewhere to talk to other people doing (or trying) the same thing, to encourage each other or to have a good old moan when it's all getting a bit much is a very good thing indeed.

So here inspired by this thread from TerriBull and for all those who are doing it, trying it, would like to give it a go, is the great Gransnet 10,000 steps club.

(I'm at 6,451 so far today btw!)