Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Support and ideas for those on low-carb diet

(884 Posts)
Mamie Sat 21-Mar-15 16:52:33

This is a thread to provide support for those who are on LCHF diets and in maintenance mode.
We can exchange recipes and ideas and encourage each other when the going gets tough!

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 13:46:47

Thanks- sorry, I had no intention of derailing thread- just cannot get my head around it.

Mamie Sun 22-Mar-15 13:57:31

Actually that doesn't answer your question, does it? Sorry! I think the very high fat bit is to do with ketosis at the beginning of the diet, which I don't really understand and we didn't try to do. Perhaps others can explain it?
As I said on the other thread, we kept fruit (though not tropical fruit) in all the way through as well as moderate amounts of dry wine, while we did the diet slowly over a year. Our doctor had been trying to get us to give up cheese and even eat low-fat spread (no chance!) and we ignored that advice. She has had to stop saying it now. grin

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 14:01:27

I think the simple answer is that you normally get your energy from carbs so if you eat fat you store it as fat. If you cut out carbs you have to get your energy from somewhere so you burn off fat. That's why it's important not to cheat or you will burn off the carbs first and not the fat.

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 14:14:22

I think that's right too Merlot I'm not eating huge amounts of fat per se. I'm actually eating more protein. Yes, some of that protein does contain saturated fats, such as the eggs, cheese and nests, but I'm not eating huge amounts.

And having no bread in the house there's nothing to put my butter on either!!! hmm

I has double cream with my blueberries this morning for breakfast. But it wasn't a huge amount and because it filled me up I've only just felt hungry enough for lunch (3 boiled quails eggs in smoked salmon, not a huge amount but it will last me till tea time).

Dinner tonight is stuffed peppers (mushroom, sundried tomato, toasted hazelnuts and a smidgen of breadcrumbs to hold it all together, and feta cheese).

I still aim to get my 5-a-day at least.

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 14:15:09

No I don't eat nests that should read meat !

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 14:22:22

Merlot- your explanation has got me more confused than ever- sorry.
Will post on other thread, in order not to derail this one any longer.

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 14:41:37

Sorry, granjura. I'm sure the scientists on here will have a better explanation.

The reason low fat diets have not always been successful is because of the high sugar content in low fat products and because carbohydrates will convert to glucose.

As Anya says, you are unlikely to eat too much fat because there are no puds to put your cream on, no bread for your butter and you can still cut the fat off meat if you want to.

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 14:53:49

Also, if you've not got loads of pasta, rice, potatoes, etc to pile on your plate you are more likely to turn to extra vegetables.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 14:54:05

I understand that- but your post contradicts this- hence confusion.

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 14:55:58

Merlot I've a recipe I'd like you to run through your nutrition checker sometime, no rush. Shall I put it on here, PM you, or go to GN menus and put it on there?

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 14:58:17

You'll have to explain the contradiction Jura so I can see where the confusion arises.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 15:00:29

This:

so if you eat fat you store it as fat. (from Merlot)

I totally get how carbs and sugar turn into fat if unsused- but the diet is about, no carb and no sugar (makes sense) and unlimited full fats ... so?!?

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 15:12:16

OK I see where you are confused. If you eat too much of anything it will turn eventually into fat, unless you are burning it off through exercise.

Your body prefers to digest and burn carbs for energy as they are easier to break down (into monosaccharides, simple sugars), we learned that in biology at school. It's very simple to eat too many carbs, as they are quite addictive and found in things like cakes, biscuits, chocolate and all those yummy things that are so morning. This produces too much sugar in the blood stream with all the risks that implies.

Now if you limit the carbs the body will have to use fats and proteins as its primary energy source. Firstly, these take much longer to break down into energy, and the body has to work harder to do this. Also these foods can make you feel full for longer so you have less urge to snack or over indulge.

That's probably over simplified but my undetstanding of how it works.

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 15:13:19

morning moreish. I keep making the mistake of thinking my iPad works for me!

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 15:13:59

If you base your meals on carbohydrates these will provide the energy you need. If you also eat fat you will not burn it off because your body will turn to the carbs first for energy so you will put on weight from the fat you have not burned.

Cutting out carbs means your body must turn to any fat you have consumed for energy so you burn that off instead.

So therefore you are not storing fat

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 15:15:21

Snap Merlot

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 22-Mar-15 15:16:02

Who actually is Zoe Harcombe? And where does she get her information from? That article is a bit random. (Mamie's article)

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 15:17:46

Anya, You can put the recipe on here if you like.

I will need the weights of any meat, cheese, cream etc. and the number of portions you will serve.

The programme gives approx weight for things like a medium onion, red pepper etc.

I thought it might be a good idea to upload the nutritional analysis labels on the 'pictures' forum. We could have a separate thread for them with posters' names but it's playing up at the moment. I think GNHQ are trying to fix it.

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 15:19:35

The Truth About Sugar is being repeated on BBC1 at the moment.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 15:21:34

Again, I quote Merlot's post:

so if you eat fat you store it as fat. (from Merlot)

No need to repeat about carbs and sugar, I TOTALLY GET THAT -

but this diet is about no sugar, no carb and AS MUCH FAT AS YOU WANT

so ...

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 15:26:15

You store the fat as fat if you still eat carbs, granjura because you are not burning it off.....you're burning off the carbs instead.

If you don't eat carbs you will burn off the fat which you will need for energy especially in colder weather.

I can't think of any other way to put it. Maybe someone else has a better explanation?

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 15:27:08

Does the diet say as much fat as you want confused?

Anya Sun 22-Mar-15 15:36:56

Here goes Merlot

Leek and Cheese Tart serves 4

200g shortcrust pastry
300g leeks
25g butter
150g cheese (any kind I use a Caerphilly, Cheddar or Lancashire)
150g whipping cream
I whole egg
1 egg yolk

Thanks

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 22-Mar-15 15:37:01

What about clogging up the arteries?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 22-Mar-15 15:38:51

What happened to a balanced diet? Just smaller portions.