Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Support and ideas for those on low-carb diet

(884 Posts)
Mamie Sat 21-Mar-15 16:52:33

This is a thread to provide support for those who are on LCHF diets and in maintenance mode.
We can exchange recipes and ideas and encourage each other when the going gets tough!

petalmoore Sun 22-Oct-17 21:55:44

Just checking in for the first time - I’ve been low carbing for a yeager and a half after developing Type 2 diabetes, and have so far managed to keep blood glucose levels low enough to stay off medication.

I use psyllium husk powder in Diet Doctor recipes - I particularly like their Oopsie bread - with no ill effects whatsoever. It does keep a sloppy mixture together very successfully, and gives it some ‘body’, plus it’s a useful source of fibre which isn’t digested, so adds no usable carbs of its own. Unfortunately it is pretty tasteless so I can’t persuade myself that it works as porridge!
www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/oopsie-bread

petalmoore Sun 22-Oct-17 22:01:57

I was pleased to be offered some ‘crustless quiche’ from Waitrose, but was mystified to find that although it has no pastry edge, it comes on a pastry base. I have checked out several other brands of supermarket crustless quiches, and they all have the pastry bases. I have made many similar bakes myself - like tortillas or frittatas but with typical quiche fillings, and they hold together fine. So why can supermarkets not leave it outconfused?

grannyactivist Sun 22-Oct-17 22:18:12

When I went to New Zealand at the beginning of the year I came off my low carb eating plan and it's been a disaster - I've put on tons of weight and recently I've had very little exercise because I've got viral fatigue. Tomorrow I'm back on the low carb diet and I'm going to take three very short walks each day and make sure I get my 10000 steps done. Might need some hand holding. wink

annodomini Sun 22-Oct-17 23:12:33

I have, over the last year, lost almost 3 stone on low carbs. The last stone is the most difficult to lose. This morning there was the very welcome number 10 on my scales - the first time in years I've registered under 11 stone. After the Italian meal I've had tonight, however, I'll be sure not to weigh myself tomorrow!

Mamie Mon 23-Oct-17 05:47:20

Hello everyone. This is the thread before last and the current one is getting a bit long so think it might be a good idea to start a new one.

BBbevan Mon 23-Oct-17 18:02:02

O.K. Mamie

Mamie Mon 23-Oct-17 18:04:17

Here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1241649-Low-carb-support-thread-number-three-2017

Florabunda60 Sun 30-Dec-18 23:08:59

There was the book; "The Saccharine Disease" written several decades ago on the perils of sugar and refined carbs. Also Doris Grant wrote a book which was available around same time encouraging the eating of wholefoods particularly wholemeal bread as against white. She devised the Grant Loaf recipe named after her for a quick wholemeal one rise only loaf of which I made many, many. It produces a heavy loaf but over a period of time one gets used to and enjoys that and finds eating it much more satisfying than light, cottonwool textured bread so much so that you won't want to go anywhere near the latter quite soon. Grant gave many reasons for eating a wholefood diet including it being better for the human digestive system AND when white bread was replaced by wholemeal "delinquency rates" as they were known at the time dropped when the offenders followed wholefood diets.