Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 2016 Part 2

(827 Posts)
Mamie Mon 08-Aug-16 11:31:57

The thread is intended to support people who are already on the diet or want to start losing weight / gaining health benefits by low-carbing.
Here is a simple explanation of this way of eating and how it works.
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
You do not have to count calories, weigh anything, exercise furiously or feel hungry.
You do have to cut out sugar and sugar-substitutes and avoid starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice and pasta.
You need to eat lots of vegetables (especially those grown above ground) and protein which can be cheese, eggs, meat, fish etc. You can eat olive oil, butter and other natural fats. You can eat limited amounts of fruit, dark chocolate and some alcoholic drinks in moderation.
You need to avoid anything labelled low-fat and most processed food and drink.
Link to previous thread here
www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1222065-A-new-low-carb-support-thread-for-2016
Welcome aboard!

tiredoldwoman Thu 11-Aug-16 15:57:13

BB , I've just been shopping , having the Polish salad at the weekend ! All my favourite flavours , gosh , I'm slobbering at the thought of it !

BBbevan Thu 11-Aug-16 18:38:03

Hope you enjoy it tow. You deserve it after all that peeing. grin

Ftisbest Sat 13-Aug-16 11:48:45

Hi I started the very low calorie diet lasting 8 weeks. Lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Now on holiday but will return to it at the end of the month.Based on Michael Moseleys blood sugar diet.Has very little carbs and small amounts of fat in it.Adds up to 800 calories a day.Recommended to go to 5:2 after 8 weeks. See how we go.

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 13:42:30

Day 4 - finding it sooo hard and lost zilch- despite lots of swimming too. Musn't get discouraged - onwards and forwards.

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 14:29:21

What are you missing most GJ? Are you eating enough fat / protein and drinking enough water?
Welcome Ftisbest. I think most people on here are doing low-carb, healthy fat and not counting calories, but I think someone was doing the MM 8 week diet. Can anyone remember who it was?
Tuna and egg salad for lunch here and tonight is barbecued veal chops with courgette dauphinoise (baked courgettes, cream and grated cheese).

Anya Sat 13-Aug-16 15:21:45

I'm on a can't eat without it hurting diet. Broke both arms on Wednesday, the distal radius on the left and the radial head on the right. Left is in a cast (just had it changed at A&E as it was so tight my fingers had swollen)

But can't rotate right arm, which I've now discovered is essential in getting food from fork into mouth. Drinking is ok as that's a straight up and down movement. So lots of milk I think.

hmm

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 15:23:36

Nooooo Anya
How on earth did you do that? More cream than milk needed I think.
flowers

BBbevan Sat 13-Aug-16 15:26:54

Oh Anya you poor thing. Is there anyone who can feed you, make your meals and generally give you some TLC ?
Do let us know how you are doing flowers

Anya Sat 13-Aug-16 15:48:10

DH is doing his humble best BB and I fell just walking the granddog - wasn't the dog's fault Mamie

I tried some V8 yesterday but it gave me heartburn so probably full of sugars (albeit natural ones) .

Have to fess up and tell that on Wednesday evening on return trom A&E I demanded CHOCOLATE
[hangs head in shame emoticon]

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 16:14:46

Chocolate is fine - better very dark and over 80% but needs must.
grin

ffinnochio Sat 13-Aug-16 16:15:10

Oh gosh, Anya, how miserable for you. Hope you heal well and quickly. flowers

Riverwalk Sat 13-Aug-16 16:16:53

Good grief Anya both arms!

I think chocolate would be medicinal in the circumstances. flowers

ffinnochio Sat 13-Aug-16 16:18:58

I ate fried plantain for lunch today at a fund raising event for an orphanage in Burkina Faso. I've no idea of it's carb. content, but was delicious. smile

Riverwalk Sat 13-Aug-16 16:20:43

80% stuff is all very well but I think the girl deserves some comforting Galaxy, or Cadbury's Dairy Milk ... with nuts!

ffinnochio Sat 13-Aug-16 16:21:59

Double chocolate chip milkshake even ...

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 16:34:16

Lidl's pannacotta choc-ice. I've got a box in the freezer sorely tempted

Anya Sat 13-Aug-16 16:37:47

Mamie have one on me!

Have a craving for marmite, in hot water as a drink confused ....what's all that about?

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 16:42:51

I will!
Marmite is a) comfort food b) salt

Tizliz Sat 13-Aug-16 17:24:29

Anya I can't see a problem here if you can drink. You can have wine and chocolate milk shake. You stick with that and only that three times a day and if you don't lose weight you won't care ??

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 17:27:34

Missing bread (never white) bulgur, basmati rice - healthy carbs!

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 18:01:58

Cauliflower to the rescue?
Not the bread, maybe. grin

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 18:06:10

loads of veg to roast- and yes, will get cauliflower next week... Visitors arriving tonight- that will be hard ... especially as they are very hungry young fit men ...

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 18:15:32

I just do something like garlic bread for hungry visitors and don't eat it myself. I think part of the solution is to construct the meal so carbs are not needed. The courgette dauphinoise is so rich and filling that you really don't need another veg. Cauliflower mash with butter and saffron is delicious and gives the texture you need without the carbs.
Roast veg don't need potatoes etc. Beans are not very low carb but pretty good as a filler.
And cheese to fill any hungry gaps..,.

granjura Sat 13-Aug-16 18:30:42

How do you make garlic bread and NOT eat it ??? I know, I know.

Green beans are not low carb- really !?! Just had a plateful of green beans with a little sausage chopped up, and a bit of chopped up Comté and goat's cheese- and was feeling virtuous.

We do indeed have fabulous cheeses around here - Gruyères on my side of border, Comté on the other, and Morbier too.

Mamie Sat 13-Aug-16 18:36:46

Green beans are - talking about borlotti, kidney beans etc
We like Comté, roquefort, fourme d'ambert etc grin