Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Healthy snacks

(34 Posts)
SussexGirl60 Mon 12-Jun-17 14:54:33

Hi, I'm a bit overweight and my downfall isn't the main meals but the snacks I eat between them when I feel peckish. I know I can eat fruit and veg but to be honest I get sick of the texture...I just need something smooth and comforting, and that usually means fattening. Does anyone have any good ideas for quick snacks, preferably a kind of grab and go thing because all I seem to go to is biscuits or cake...or chocolate of course!?Thanks in advance.

Teetime Mon 12-Jun-17 15:57:43

Yogurt- all kinds (Sainsbury has a nice low fat plain Greek one in a large pot for £1 to put on fruit)
Low fat, low sugar cappuccino/drinking chocolate in sachets
Pitta bread/crackers
Smoothie made with fresh strawberries and skimmed milk with ice

I tend to just have fruit in between meals but it does get boring doesn't it?

Nanabilly Mon 12-Jun-17 16:28:00

Make or buy a healthier dip and have some chopped up veggie sticks in the fridge. Or Philli cheese to slap on sticks.
I avoid the low fat anything as they do not give any amount of fulfilment so I buy full fat Greek yogurt to chop a bit of fruit in and it fills me for at least a couple of hours whereas low fat only sustain me for half hour or so .
Make sure you don't eat too much fruit especially dried fruit , it's more fattening than you might think ..limit grapes and bananas especially.
If you do fancy chocolate as a treat... And who doesn't ? Get some Cadbury Freddy frogs in or curly wurly bars.not many calories in them IF you can just eat the one.

M0nica Mon 12-Jun-17 16:30:58

Marmite rice cakes, unlike most rice cakes they have taste and flavour. I spread mine with quark (a low fat soft cheese like cream cheese) and put slices of cucumber on top.

Ideally, grafually wean yourself off snacks. Eat enough at each meal to carry you through to the next. It is the permanent changes like that that ensure, once you have lost the weigh, it doesn't come back.

Lillie Mon 12-Jun-17 19:44:29

Laughing Cow Light cheese triangles come in several tasty flavours.

Anya Mon 12-Jun-17 19:48:39

Cheese and nuts.

Anya Mon 12-Jun-17 19:49:05

Not processed cheese though, just the real stuff.

Anya Mon 12-Jun-17 19:50:20

And none of these honey coated nuts, just the natural ones, though Tesco do a little pack of peppered nuts for £1. Couldn't eat a whole one but half is very satisfying.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Jun-17 22:19:05

I am trying not to eat snacks, although I do enjoy a few almonds or walnuts.
Last week I bought some Quark for the first time but haven't inspected it yet - I keep looking at the tub dubiously. Perhaps tomorrow.

I like to eat a banana in the evenings, apparently they help you to sleep.

vampirequeen Tue 13-Jun-17 07:06:33

Make non pastry quiche. Cook any veg you like. Mix 5 eggs and 250ml milk. I make individual ones in meat pie containers. 5 eggs make 8 or 9. Put the veg in the container. Pour egg and milk over the veg until just covered. Sprinkle with a little mature cheddar. Cook for about 20 mins.

Calories depend on the veg used and how much cheese you use.

They can be kept in the fridge or frozen.

grannylyn65 Tue 13-Jun-17 08:33:21

Right to be cautious re quark. ?

grannylyn65 Tue 13-Jun-17 08:33:39

!!!

LadyGracie Tue 13-Jun-17 08:44:50

Quark just the word puts me off, I bought some for a SlimmingWorld recipe, it sat in the fridge till passed it's sell by date then I disposed of it!

Lillie Tue 13-Jun-17 08:48:20

Quark doesn't have any taste to me, it's pointless.

Lillie Tue 13-Jun-17 08:49:56

vampirequeen that quiche sounds nice, is it a bit like omelette then?

Cathy21 Tue 13-Jun-17 10:36:20

Make some hommous. Lovely on its own or with carrot or celery sticks. Keeps for a few days in the fridge. Another favourite snack is ALDI's full fat GREEK STYLYE plain yoghurt. ( much creamier than the low fat and only 1 calorie more per portion and keeps you fuller for longer. I love it on sliced banana)

Christalbee Tue 13-Jun-17 10:43:04

Quark is one of the most revolting food fads that I have come across. I've tried it in soups and so forth and also on fruit, but it is quite revolting. I don't know how anybody can eat it. Not for me. Natural full fat yoghurt for me every time. Lovely with the black cherries that are out at the moment. What a treat to stick a warm sweet pancake on top of it all!

M0nica Tue 13-Jun-17 11:05:29

You see Christalbee that is how people differ. I use and enjoy quark as a spread on bread, biscuits etc.

I loathe yoghourt with a visceral loathing. The taste of it makes me want to throw up and leaves me feeling nauseous for hours afterwards. I link this to my similar reaction to fresh milk, an aversion that has been with me since it was first introduced into my diet as an infant. I assume this is a food intolerance and is probably genetic because my family divide in two, DS is like me and has refused to drink fresh milk from day one, DD can not get enough of it. DS shares my aversion to yoghourt, and limited tolerance of cream. Both of us are entirely happy with cheeses, including soft cheeses like quark.

As I said, we all differ.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 13-Jun-17 11:42:17

You lot are too healthy for me - hummous? Quark? Yuk! Give me a Jaffa cake - only about 45 calories each.grin

Blinko Tue 13-Jun-17 12:47:19

Jaffa cakes, yeah!

Flossieturner Tue 13-Jun-17 12:58:16

Would it help if you took a different approach? Instead of thinking about healthy snacks could you consider not snacking at all or limiting them? Have you considered that, maybe, you are not eating enough at your main meals and this is why you have the urge to snac?. Are you really hungry when you snack, just bored or is it just a habit.

I would try eating more protein at your main meals so that you feel fuller. Try to get a new mind set of thinking that snacks are nice but not necessary. So plan to have one really enjoyable snack morning or afternoon. I think that one daily indulgence of cake or biscuits, is more sustainable than snacking on things you don't like.

I would also try to be more conscious of what is leading to snacks and try some distraction techniques. Clean your teeth, read a book, do a puzzle and you may find the urge has passed. Do you like drinking water? This can also be a good distraction. You could also try substituting half of your hot drinks for cold ones. Sitting down with a tea or coffee is so much more satisfying if there is something to nibble with it. Less tea and coffee lmeans less opportunity.

I would be really interested on your thoughts on this.

Sleepyamber Tue 13-Jun-17 13:39:45

I always keep a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge, very filling and healthy snack

Thirdinline Tue 13-Jun-17 15:34:30

For smooth and comforting snacks, I suggest Alpro desserts, they do 2 new ones in round tubs: 1) chocolate & hazelnut
2) coconut
The original Alpro soya desserts come in 4 flavours: dark chocolate, milk choc, caramel & vanilla. They are low in fat as made from soya & therefore plant-based. I think they taste nice.

Kisathecat Tue 13-Jun-17 15:56:02

Have you tried making your own chocolate? Cos that is very smooth and creamy and you can make it as healthy as you like. It is so simple you wouldn't believe. Cocoa butter, raw cacao, honey is the simple base but you can add nuts, fruit, seeds, superfoods, whatever you like. Delish.

dogsmother Tue 13-Jun-17 16:53:40

Flossie, so very wise!
This works and so does planning a few meals in advance. It always works out financially much more efficiently too.
If only we could be so disciplined all the while, I do try, as I was/am prediabetic and had to be very much more concscious of what I was doing. Trouble is I too enjoy snacking/grazing through the day and know how difficult it is. You have prompted me to ge back at it .?