Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

16:8 diet

(396 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 05-Nov-17 22:17:33

Tell us how you are getting on

Jane10 Sun 18-Feb-18 20:54:19

You might need to change your pastry inspired name Janet! Good luck! You'll soon get used to it.

Marelli Sun 18-Feb-18 23:59:53

It's still working for me, as well. I think one if the reasons might be because when I ate chocolate (my passion....), I ate it in the evenings, while I was watching TV. It wasn't just a bit of a bar, either - it was a whole BIG bar! So, because I do 11-7 or 12-8, I'm not thinking about wanting the chocolate. I still have the odd chocolate biscuit - Penguin, etc during that time, but don't seem to 'fixate' on it now. Portion sizes at mealtimes have reduced, too.

Seaside22 Mon 19-Feb-18 06:47:33

Hi, been on the diet 10 days now and lost two pounds, not as much as I had hoped, but I am only doing it mon to Fri so can't expect anymore, I find it too difficult at weekends.Oh well onwards and downwards hopefully.

Jane10 Mon 19-Feb-18 07:01:29

Not a diet! The whole point is changing how you eat not what you want. No point in measuring in pounds. Just stick with it and see what happens to your clothes!

NfkDumpling Mon 19-Feb-18 07:15:02

Wot ho All

I stopped doing the 16:8 as after a few days it upset my hiatus hernia which I control by having small snacks in between main meals. But inevitably the few pounds I lost have crept back on, so I thought I'd try just three days to shift some of it. So this week I've done a mix of the 16:8 and the 5:2! I can do three days 16:8 and then a couple of days off with a light breakfast. I've lost a couple of pounds this week and no ill effects on my tum! Fingers crossed!

OldMeg Mon 19-Feb-18 07:51:02

I’m incorporating the 16:8 into Frugal February i.e. being quite careful what I eat in the ‘eating hours’. I find I don’t lose weight on the 16:8 - perhaps because I’m only about 7lbs overweight so I have to try harder to shift those last few pounds.

But I do find it great for maintenance, which is for many the hard part after weight loss.

As Jane says it’s simply about changing when you eat.

justrolljanet Mon 19-Feb-18 18:46:53

Well have managed day 1, must admit I found it ok [happy] Jane10 hopefully I will be able to take the roll out of my gransnet name [laughing]

Lupin Wed 21-Feb-18 13:44:11

I'm still going with this way of eating. It's working for me with weight loss and I notice that my shape is changing in a different way with 16:8. My midriff is the main area of loss, and a waist is appearing. Yay! My legs and arms are slimmer too.

Jane10 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:56:24

Ooh am having a bad month. I seem to have had to attend so many events featuring lots of lovely grub! I do stick to the hours of 16:8 but the sorts of things I've been eating have been exceptionally high in calories. Eg we used my afternoon tea voucher (birthday gift) at a 5* hotel yesterday. The food and service were absolutely top notch. Only snag was the sheer quantity! So good and so much of it.
If they gave Michelin stars for posh ladies' teas that hotel would have 3*!

hildajenniJ Thu 22-Feb-18 18:58:17

It's not working! I'm going to have to go back to the 5:2 diet if I want to lose weight. It was working well until I gave it a break before Christmas.

Jane10 Sun 01-Apr-18 11:27:55

Well! Just put on my 'good' trousers for Easter lunch out and eureka! They fit. DH spontaneously commented on how slim I was looking. I've been backsliding a bit and having the odd breakfast and all round naughty treats but somehow the 16:8 magics still working. I haven't worn those trousers in 3 years. Still marvelling!

Lupin Mon 02-Apr-18 09:25:13

So glad you posted Jane 10. I though everyone had given up.
Isn't it great when clothes begin to fit you again. Congratulations.
I am still persevering with 16:8 and people are beginning to notice that I'm slimmer. I can now bend down and do up my shoe laces with ease.
I shall think of you and your trousers to encourage me onwards for however long it takes until I can get back into my jeans.

J52 Mon 02-Apr-18 10:12:01

Doing a mixture of 16.8 and 5.2.
The 5.2 really worked for me and I’ve kept most of it off. A few lbs have crept back over 6 years.
My eating habits have changed with both regimes. I now don’t want to eat too much and rarely between meals.
DH and I shared a little bag of mini eggs, as our Easter chocolate.

Jane10 Mon 02-Apr-18 11:23:39

Ooh you are good J52 - I had a whole Lindt bunny!

paddyann Tue 17-Apr-18 17:20:38

I'm struggling with this ...not the diet thats easy .I'm not losing weight though ,maybe because I've a herniated disc and cant exercise as much as I need to? Is everyone who is losing weight doing a reasonable amount of exercise and if yes...what type .I've been told not to walk for more than 5 minutes and no weights

hulahoop Tue 17-Apr-18 18:37:03

I am stuck at the moment will have to buckle down again going away for a few days which is when I will find it hard because breakfast provided and I won't always be able to have lunch !!!

Jane10 Tue 17-Apr-18 19:19:22

I'm not losing much I don't think but mainly I suspect because I can't exercise as much as usual. I'll be pretty held up by new knee replacement op over the summer. Lots of post op icing and elevating rather than walking very much. Just hope I'll somehow be able to get back to some form of fitness in the late autumn. Will stick with 16:8 though except on holiday of course!

Marelli Tue 17-Apr-18 19:56:25

I’ve been following this way of eating since February and I so wish I’d known about it before. I feel much more energetic and less sluggish. I haven’t weighed myself at all, but my clothes are much more comfortable and waistbands on jeans are much looser. I’d had a really painful knee for the past year or so, but now - no pain! I stick rigidly to eating within the 8 hours, and I don’t calorie count - ever! Thanks for telling us about 16.8, Jane10. ☺️

Lupin Thu 19-Apr-18 11:55:54

Paddyann - I have to add in exercise to get things shifting so to speak, and am a fan of Lesley Sansone's Walk At Home, or Jessica Smith - have a look on YouTube.
What do your medical advisors say about swimming?
A friend suggested to me that I get up and walk about during the adverts when watching TV. Have found that helps with stiffness. Please take care though. A herniated disc sounds rather painful. All the best.
Even doing the exercise I've found the weight comes off at a very gentle rate but I have such a lot of it to lose. However I shall keep on with it.

paddyann Thu 19-Apr-18 14:52:14

thanks Lupin I've been told to walk about the house too,not sit longer than 20 minutes and then no more than 5 minutes on my feet ,Its very restrictive but if I dont get some more exercise soon I'll really be struggling with the weight.I'm doing Pilates daily and the exercises the physio gave me 3 or 4 times a day .Nothing seems to keep the pain at bay though .I'm thinking of doing a very low calorie diet for a few weeks while on the 16-8 to see if that kick starts it .I could do with losing a couple of stone

blusmart Thu 26-Jul-18 08:07:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Marmight Thu 26-Jul-18 08:51:01

Advertising?
confused

EthelJ Wed 08-Aug-18 09:50:05

I've started trying this but having weighed myself today I seem to have put weight on! I wonder if I am eating more in the 8 hours because I am so hungry. I will take more care about what I am eating and carry on trying a little longer. I have about 2 stone to loose. It will take a very long time if I carry on as I have begun shock

Marelli Wed 03-Oct-18 07:25:00

Have been becoming rather beefy since not following the 16.8 for a good few months ?. I was doing so well, but fell by the wayside somehow. Met up with Jane 10 at the Edinburgh lunch last week and she's looking great.... (I'm back on the 16.8 as from 10am today) ?

Jane10 Wed 03-Oct-18 08:43:04

Oh Marelli! Thanks for kind words but I fell off the 16:8 wagon! I'm having another go but I do miss my nice breakfasts. I went back to them as I had to take meds in the mornings after my knee replacement op. No excuse now. Sigh.
PS I never thought Marelli had to lose weight in the first place. I'm not just being 'nice'. I'm just not nice. grin