Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

16:8 diet

(396 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 05-Nov-17 22:17:33

Tell us how you are getting on

Menopaws Tue 07-Nov-17 18:56:18

Banana blueberries porridge oats flaxseed half almond milk half coconut water and I think I flung in some sad grapes that needed a home and as you can see no commas!!

hulahoop Tue 07-Nov-17 19:09:00

We have been doing 12-8pm not really missing breakfast portion sizes next to be tackled .

oldgoat Tue 07-Nov-17 23:02:18

I was doing really well today until I went to WI where there was delicious cake and I had a second piece so as not to offend the person who made it. Honest! Then my team won boxes of Cadbury's Roses in the quiz and the rest I can leave to your imagination. Start again tomorrow.

whitewave Wed 08-Nov-17 07:58:14

Day 3. Haven’t lost anything, but neither have I put on anything, so ever onwards. 1 hour to breakfast. If I don’t begin to lose weight after a week or two I will reassess what I’m eating. Exercise must count I think, which I’m not brilliant at. I tend to get up about 7 but not really sit down until lunch, then potter throughout the afternoon depending on the weather. Yesterday brisk walk for 3/4 of an hour.

Porridge with blueberries
Ministrone soup
One tray roast chicken
Nectarine and raspberry jelly

Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 08:09:30

Whitewave have you thought about devising an exercise programme for yourself when you get up, perhaps after your morning shower?

I decided to do this when I hit 70 and it’s rarely a morning I miss it. I started off with a few exercises to strengthen my broken arms, and gradually built up a 20 minute routine that targets every part of the body. If something aches a bit (eg I had an achy hip earlier this year) I added an exercise to help that and, bingo!, that ache vanished after a week or so but I kept doing that exercise.

Then your walks are an added bonus.

Good luck ??

Menopaws Wed 08-Nov-17 08:10:33

I guess it's like any diet, you can focus on the good bits I.e eat what you like for a limited time and once you get to grips with the routine you realise you still have to be reasonably careful when you do eat. I've already realised I don't have to eat continuously for 8 hours and I won't starve if I'm actually full an hour before I have to stop. It soons settles down and that's when the loss begins, I hope!

Menopaws Wed 08-Nov-17 08:15:16

I notice a difference if I don't walk the dog every day, my husband insists on taking him very early as he has an unbelievable determination to carry on however he feels so that is good, but I'd be a bit mean to take him again an hour later just for my own benefit. Good job he's a young dog! I do walk a lot at work but I miss the solitude of walking the fields every day and no I don't want to go without the dog.

whitewave Wed 08-Nov-17 08:19:25

I’m following a weightwatchers diet at 30 points -so that gives you a clue how much i need to lose blush , but to be honest it does seem quite a lot of food, but I will keep at it.

Yes must start introducing exercise.

Where did you get the ideas anya? Probably on the internet.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Nov-17 08:21:21

It’s going to be difficult today. As we were out last evening for a meal with friends we didn’t eat until 7.30 and finish until around 9.00! Which means nothing for me now until 1.00pm!! Today is going to be hard!

However yesterday I had lost a pound which was encouraging - but probably a blip - I think I’ll avoid the scales today!

I remember in my youth when a mere slip of a gal at nine stone, I didn’t eat anything before late morning. So hopefully ....!

Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 08:25:10

Not the internet. I used to go to classes eg yoga, Body Pump.

So I have a fair idea of exercises I choose from.. If you don’t have this background then try the internet and put together your own routine from there. I also incorporate a few for balance and stretching too.

And anything that aches, make sure you introduce a gentle exercise that targets that ache.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Nov-17 08:29:49

I did the Weightwatchers points system WW and did loose steadily. I found it more difficult as the weight came off and so did the number of points I could eat! Of course, I’ve put it all back on plus a bit, but that’s mostly down to greed and not being able to work it off. I do hate the way it’s assumed that we can all exercise to tone and loose weight.

Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 08:36:00

basic exercises with resistance bands
WW* you might like to look at this video as a starting point.

whitewave Wed 08-Nov-17 08:38:47

Thanks everyone! Will carry on with gusto.

Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 08:44:40

Nfk not all people are able to exercise and not all people want to bother. I was responding to WW’s mention of exercising. In fact exercising at our age is not mainly about losing weight or toning, but more functional inasmuch as it’s about maintaining (and perhaps improving) our fitness for day to day activities, such as putting on socks, getting up and down stairs, not falling over, getting in and out of cars, etc.

Use it or lose it!

Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 08:45:20

Who’s Gusto? ???

Jane10 Wed 08-Nov-17 09:38:19

oldgoat you're missing the point. If you've eaten a bit later then all you have to do is wait that much longer till you eat again.
I like the flexibility and lack of prescriptiveness of this lifestyle.

Blinko Wed 08-Nov-17 11:12:58

I'm finding I can do 18:6 fairly easily. Started about three days ago, not weighing yet though. Need to incorporate a daily walking routine. We're eating out with friends this lunchtime, so it'll be just a light meal later then finish at 6pm. All good so far. Thanks everyone for the ideas and encouragement.

J52 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:50:05

Ate out last night, but was able to finish eating by 7.30, so I’m just having a bowl of muesli now.
I’m not finding it difficult and do feel less bloated.
Hope it’s going well for everyone else.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Nov-17 13:43:52

Sorry Anya I didn’t read your post properly and thought you were meaning excercising to loose weight. I think it was the mention of body pump!

I do Tai-chi stretching excercises as I can no longer do the full routine. It does help stay marginally more supple.

I lasted out until 12.30 before having lunch, only half an hour early. Will have dinner earlier this evening.

oldgoat Wed 08-Nov-17 14:06:08

It's OK Jane I do get it, even though I appear to be a brain-dead old pensioner.
Waited til 13.00 today for my first meal. Not at all hungry so it seems quite easy to fast this long.

GillT57 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:38:04

I am finding 11 to 7 works quite well. Just ☕coffee in the morning and then light breakfast before lunch at 2 ish.

Jane10 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:48:59

I know someone who's doing 22:2. Hard core! Actually it's a bit worrying. He enjoys the feeling of being hungry. That doesn't sound great to meconfused

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Nov-17 19:14:18

Sounds a bit anorexic to me Jane.

Menopaws Wed 08-Nov-17 19:24:18

I'm def finding I'm less hungry at lunchtime by not having breakfast then I eat less frantically as I feel I have plenty of time ahead and I've still got ten mins to go but I really don't want anything, I'm not thinking about food at all, the only thing I have to do is watch the time I start my 8 hours,I'm liking this so far

Jane10 Wed 08-Nov-17 20:30:21

I'm the same Menopaws. I started off counting the minutes till 12 but now don't even notice and have gone in till 2pm without noticing (busy chatting!).
Problem tomorrow though, DH just announced his birthday treat for me - bacon rolls for breakfast. I wasn't bothering but he was so pleased with his kind idea that I'll just have to go along with it wink