Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Frugal February

(570 Posts)
OldMeg Fri 26-Jan-18 08:09:59

Anyone like to join me in this?

You can set your own ‘frugal’ guidelines but the aim is to eat and drink in a more restrained (and healthy) manner that usual just for 28 days.

I did this last year and lost those few extra pounds that nobody wants. For those who have more than a few pounds to shift it can kick start a real weight loss plan for 2018.

It can be combined with 16:8 and any other ‘diets’ you are following.

So, anyone out there want to join in for 28 days and we’ll share ideas and support each other? ?

OldMeg Tue 27-Feb-18 13:38:09

Waist Management?

Cherrytree59 Tue 27-Feb-18 16:25:30

Hi OldMeg and Frugaleers

Lost my lovely cat (hit by a car) last week , So I'm afraid upsets cause me to eat.
I have not lost an ounce but thankfully not put any weight or inches on either.

Would be definitely be up for waist watcher thread smile

Tegan2 Tue 27-Feb-18 18:35:37

So sorry to hear about your cat. I had to stop having cats because I got so worried whenever they were outside; tried having house cats but it didn't seem right cats not having freedom. I've just had tomatoes and cheese on toast because I planned to have an omelette and found I had no eggs. Feel bad about eating bread; the S.O. left some here at the weekend even though he knows I'm trying to avoid eating it [he does that sort of thing]...

OldMeg Tue 27-Feb-18 20:01:15

Oh Cherrytree that’s why I don’t have cats anymore. So, so sorry. I do understand. I’ve just been to pick up my beloved dog’s ashes today?

tassiegran Tue 27-Feb-18 23:32:09

Yes please, a new thread. It's very helpful reading other comments. First Forum I check every day!

Tegan2 Wed 28-Feb-18 00:17:37

I've realised why I've put so much weight on recently; with it being so cold today, all I've wanted to do is eat and sleep, and I've been like this for months.

OldMeg Wed 28-Feb-18 07:30:17

OK new thread tomorrow.

My summary:
lost 5.5lbs
Followed 15:9 (suited me better than 16:8)
Cut down on carbs
Ate more veg
Made own biscuits which were the only snacks I allowed myself.
Can I keep this up in the main? Yes.

How about others?

PS Tegan we should be like the bears and crawl into a cave and hibernate during winter months.

Niobe Wed 28-Feb-18 08:53:07

Started the month at 68.2kg ,dropped down to 66.8 kg but this morning was 67 kg. I blame hubby coming home with hot cross buns! And Lurpak! Will try harder in March.

cavewoman Wed 28-Feb-18 11:45:35

Lost 2kg. Thrilled! Managed this by cutting carbs which I think I can continue.

But what pleased me more was that as a result of also being frugal with spending, my bank balance is in excess of £100 healthier than it was in January. Considering February is not a good month normally (car tax,m.o.t) I,m chuffed.

I must also mention that swapping back to butter from olive oil spread has not harmed weight loss plus everything tastes better.
So all in all a good month.

Tegan2 Wed 28-Feb-18 12:38:13

Yes, part of my good eating plan is to not waste food and eat healthily but on a budget; now I'm retired one of the few things I can cut back on is food purchasing, but it still doesn't mean eating unhealthily. I'm not sure how much weight I've lost because I did start to cut back in January, but I'm certainly 7lb less than when I started, however that must have been early January as I'd eaten camembert and that must have been left over from Christmas/New Year. I was keeping a list of what I ate then, and it was all sandwiches; one day said tuna sandwiches twice and then honey sandwiches. And I wondered why I wasn't losing weight [duuuh]. Still stuck at 10st but have definitely lost inches. Will try to go to the gym today but it's difficult to leave the house when the weather is so horrible.

Millbrook Wed 28-Feb-18 12:44:11

Not really able to give weight loss with any accuracy as my weighing scales moved house and are no longer consistent! (Bit irritating because it was helpful to have a weekly weigh in - I started trying to lose weight in January).
I've stuck to 1200 calories a day and, on the whole, have been pretty good. If I have an off day I try to make it up over the week, so that it averages out.
I've definitely lost quite a bit of weight - those smart work clothes are all feeling a lot looser, which was the point of this. And it's also an incentive to carry on, so yes please to a new thread OldMeg !
Thanks for all the helpful tips and comments from others. Sorry to hear about the loss of much loved pets.
We battle on......

Tegan2 Wed 28-Feb-18 12:53:40

It's so important to ignore an off day and carry on as normal the next; that's always been my downfall. Oops; ate too much so better eat all the things I'm not supposed to have just for the sake of doing it...#madness

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 11:14:33

Well, I’ve been without a WiFi connection until 5 minutes ago. So well done everyone.

Consider this thread redundant and I’ll start a new one ASAP.

Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits ???

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 11:26:58

New thread Moderate March

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 11:27:34

PS words of wisdom there Tegan

Grandmama Fri 02-Mar-18 19:39:57

Only lost 2 lbs sad so now starting Moderate March. Would be great to lose a few more lbs before the significant birthday at the end of this month [smile}.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 19:56:16

Oh heck.

It is so cold and we can't get out - I have been in a baking mood

Grandmama Tue 06-Mar-18 15:03:11

Do we have a new thread for Moderate March?

OldMeg Tue 06-Mar-18 16:15:27

Yes Grandmama. This thread is now past its sell by date!