Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Biscuits

(46 Posts)
NanKate Sat 27-Jan-18 08:27:39

I usually have oatcakes, cheese and a banana for lunch but having looked on the side of the biscuit packet and I think the oatcakes contain too much sugar. Can anyone recommend low sugar savoury biscuits ?

NannyC2 Sun 28-Jan-18 14:47:49

Scottish oatcakes are low in sugar. Oats are also good for cholesterol. I love bananas but not too good for digestion apparently. As a Type 2 diabetic I am always looking at sugar levels on packets before buying!

Sheilasue Sun 28-Jan-18 15:17:36

Waitrose do a soughdough crispbread very crispy but nice with cheese. Rice cakes with smoked salmon yum.

starbird Sun 28-Jan-18 15:55:25

I have Ryvita with melted cheese, or humous,guacamole or sometimes a couple of boiled eggs. In case of the latter I admit to a thin layer of butter. All of which are very tasty snacks.

quizqueen Sun 28-Jan-18 16:04:13

Replace the biscuit altogether with chunks of apple or pieces of beetroot; much more nutritious to go with the cheese and a nice balance of tastes so yummy too.

W11girl Sun 28-Jan-18 16:48:52

Personally I would go for dark ryvita or water biscuits as they at least have flavour/texture.

NanKate Sun 28-Jan-18 16:57:10

I'm glad so many of you give oat cakes the thumbs up :-)

Camelotclub Sun 28-Jan-18 17:44:28

I wonder why they're called cream crackers when there's no cream in them.

Camelotclub Sun 28-Jan-18 17:44:56

Rice cakes are the food of the devil, BTW.

Legs55 Sun 28-Jan-18 18:04:07

Quizqueen beetroot is high in sugarhmm

I use Rakusen's 99% crackers, only 1% fat, I get them in Home Bargains but other Supermarkets stock them. More like a water biscuit than a cream cracker.

My Diabetic Nurse has suggested Rice Cakes, non of my local shops stock themgrin

Nelliemoser Sun 28-Jan-18 18:58:51

I dont think sugar is the only thing you need to worry about.
All carbohydrates in your diet get turned into sugars by enzymes in your saliva.
There really is not any such thing as low sugar biscuits savoury or sweet.

Are rice cakes a healthy snack for people with diabetes?

Sharecare
www.sharecare.com/health/diabetes/are-rice-cakes-healthy-diabetes
Are rice cakes a healthy snack for people with diabetes? Some rice cakes are really not a good choice at all. Rice is a high glycemic index grain, even when it's whole grain (brown), so it can spike blood sugar levels. What's more, some brands add sugar or corn syrup to their rice cakes.

hollie57 Sun 28-Jan-18 19:42:34

Totally agree rice cakes oat cakes ,like eating polystyrene and cardboard ,how anyone can it them I will never know.

M0nica Sun 28-Jan-18 20:19:26

Ah, but have you tried marmite rice cakes? I never touched the things before for the reasons you gave, but find marmite ones very tasty. Sugar count is almost too small to measure 0.1 of a gram (28g to the oz).

To be honest I do not give * for nutritional values. marnite rice cakes, quark and cucumber give a nice mix of flavours and textures and make a very pleasant breakfast.

Heckter Sun 28-Jan-18 20:29:10

Aldi's cracked black pepper oatcakes have NO sugar, which is why I buy them, and delicious for snacking on. Health-wise, as well as no sugar, consist of whole oats, high in fibre, apparently good for the heart, and have a lower glycaemic index than any of the other carbohydrates, which is useful for those who have blood sugar issues.

travelsafar Mon 29-Jan-18 09:09:52

This post just show the variety of the same thing available to us now, once it was just good old Jacobs cream crackers. It also shows how aware we all are becoming regarding the content of our food and how a bit obsessive we can be myself included about sugar salt etc content. I didnt realise the info give by Nellimoser i will check the package of the brand that i buy. I will still eat rice cakes as i enjoy them.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Jan-18 09:16:18

Nairns - as pp said - are very low (1.1g per 100g or 0.1g per oatcake. Otherwise Ryvita crackerbread are lovely but not as substantial. Finn crisp have a lovely flavour and are 0.2g per cracker (tho they are not very big)

Meriel Mon 29-Jan-18 10:26:58

Rice cakes? Like trying to eat polystyrene!

henetha Mon 29-Jan-18 10:34:00

It's easily done, isn't it Jaycee5. We just have to forgive ourselves and move on. I promised myself no biscuits in February, - but it's still January.... so.... Biscuits galore for two more days!

Margs Mon 29-Jan-18 10:46:25

You could try breadsticks - ideal for dipping into Marmite or fromage frais!

humptydumpty Mon 29-Jan-18 11:08:22

Meriel superb description!

NanKate Mon 29-Jan-18 11:49:43

I could tell you where I would like to put those breadsticks Margs but might cause offence ? to me they taste like dry cardboard. I think I will return to my trusted old oat cakes now I find they are not so bad as I thought.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.