Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Snowdon training

(57 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 29-Apr-18 21:40:26

And so it begins.. I know it's five months away and not exactly Mount Everest but it's a personal challenge for me and him so I've upped my usual dog walking to a two hour walk including hills at the weekend and I have to be honest, I'm liking it. Poly myalgia a bit of an issue but with diet change and care I can get over that and with the back up of some very generous people I will achieve this.
Anyone else doing a personal challenge at the moment?

lemongrove Sun 29-Apr-18 21:43:55

No, but I wish you well Meno and furthermore take my hat off to you for doing this Snowdon challenge!
Stay off the Argy poteen and dodgy grub until you have achieved it.?

Anniebach Sun 29-Apr-18 21:51:58

Please post updates

Menopaws Sun 29-Apr-18 21:52:04

But that's part of my fitness regime?!

Menopaws Sun 29-Apr-18 21:57:18

Updates will help me but I'm a bit conscious of attention seeking so please tell me to p..s off at any time. I was twittering on about it to my son earlier and I said 'you will get fed up with me going on about my latest project' and he said 'don't mind you having a project Mum but just have a quiet project'.
All or nothing that's me!

lemongrove Sun 29-Apr-18 21:59:48

I get vertigo just going upstairs to bed, and that’s quite a feat, as I live in a bungalow.?

Anniebach Sun 29-Apr-18 22:19:47

Post as often as you wish, what you are doing is brave and such a good cause , I would need encouragement if I were doing it and I am sure I am not the only one X

Menopaws Sun 29-Apr-18 22:25:55

Thank you Annie very kind of you

Greyduster Mon 30-Apr-18 08:50:51

Get the train up - it’s quicker! grin. No, not exactly Mount Everest, but I know from friends who are seasoned mountain walkers that it is no cake walk either, so I really admire you for undertaking it. I have never walked up Snowden but we took the Pony Path (for cissies) up Cader Idris years ago and that was enough for me. You will be fine. Embrace it, enjoy it, and tell us all about it!

PoshGran Mon 30-Apr-18 10:03:21

Hello Meno - my virtual hat is most certainly tipped to you in "taking on" Snowdon. wink

I have a couple of months before a Race for Life 5k (walk) in flat East Anglia, and, to be honest I haven't really needed to train - I regularly walk greater distances in the same country park where the RfL is taking place - the challenge for me is of a different, more personal, nature.
I do have experience of more challenging walking; a couple of weeks going uphill & down various Yorkshire Dales each year, stretches the tendons & raises the heart rate somewhat!
Have you got your basics sorted - footwear & clothing?
Will the dog be with you on the Snowdon walk too?

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
smile

Anniebach Mon 30-Apr-18 10:21:06

Let me show off please? One of my climbs of Snowdon , many years ago, one of our group was Chris Bonington.

We'll sort of! My husband, then boyfriend, was a keen mountaineer . One of our GP's had 'done ' Everest . Chris Bonington was visiting him.

Our group had planned a Snowdon climb, the GP was one of the group. Bonington joined us. Our group did split for the climb, I was with the Miners Track group, and husband joined the Watkin Path group . We did leave from the same hotel , so I did climb Snowdon with Chris Bonington, just different paths ?

Nannyconnie Mon 30-Apr-18 18:16:39

Hi Menopaws.......no it’s not a walk in the park,but it is certainly doable, and a fabulous mountain to climb. You will feel such a sense of achievement at the top, and I just hope, when you get there, that it’s clear enough for you to enjoy the fantastic views. Enjoy your training, and enjoy your challenge.......

Menopaws Wed 02-May-18 17:58:53

Thank you so much ladies, as my husband does a lot of walking and did the 24 peaks in 24 hours challenge the last two years he is well versed on necessary equipment and supplies and training methods, so I'm in good hands.
I won't take the dog as I don't think it's fair on him or others, esp as going in the dark, he's staying at the pet carer.
Yes I do hope it's clear so when dawn comes up we can see the view. It's 50 people max so should be good fun.

Menopaws Wed 02-May-18 18:02:36

Should explain it is a night walk with guides and headlights etc, so we climb through the night and dawn comes on the way down, that's what appealed to me as different and a limited group all climbing for the Marsden so like minded souls.

Menopaws Sun 06-May-18 21:10:22

Ok tomorrow I'm under instructions to be up at 5 for eight mile hill walking training to avoid the crowds and the sun, hence I'm off to bed now! Whose idea was this?.?

Anniebach Sun 06-May-18 21:12:18

5? Ouch, good luck x

Menopaws Mon 07-May-18 19:29:06

5.45 Box Hill, where they did the Olympic cycling, four miles not eight but did steep hills. Phew I did big slow hill, thought that would do but husband then said let's just do this other one and as we are here let's just do 214 steps down the hill and back up.
In car, legs like jelly, eyeballs running with sweat, next decision..lets go to outdoor store and get you proper coat, trousers and boots. Yes darling you are so kind I say with happy grin.
Three bloody miles walking round big town because first shop shut but guess what there is another one on the other side of town.
Coat boots trousers and leggings done , back to cafe for a fry up as starving!
Actually lovely day but no clubbing tonight

Anniebach Mon 07-May-18 20:14:44

Wish I could say I envy you but it would be a porkie ?

Well done you X

midgey Mon 07-May-18 21:29:27

Golly! Brilliant work, but I don’t expect you to be awake nowgrin

Menopaws Mon 07-May-18 21:42:19

In five mins I won't be!

NanKate Mon 07-May-18 22:36:44

How exciting Menopaws best of luck.

I see we both have the dreaded Polymyalgia which makes your venture even more impressive.

You mention diet and care to help with the PMR can you share with me what that is please ?

OldMeg Mon 07-May-18 22:53:33

Are you doing the Pig Track menopaws ?

I did that as part of my 70th birthday challenge. It was indeed a pig of a climb. Good luck ☘️

Menopaws Tue 08-May-18 05:46:53

Impressive Oldmeg! We are doing the easiest path, I think Llenberis path, as it is at night it's prob safest and also for cancer charity so can include everyone, takes about 6-7 hours up.

Greyduster Tue 08-May-18 08:55:56

Respect, OldMeg and Menopaws! Any track up Snowden, or any other very step hill, earns my respect. We did a six mile round walk on one of our local gritstone edges on Saturday, with all the climbing involved on the return leg when I was tired, and I realised then how unfit I have become. There were small children rushing past me to get to the top!

Anniebach Tue 08-May-18 09:12:11

Good for you OldMeg, the last part of the Pyg is tough.