Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Snowdon training

(58 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 29-Apr-18 21:40:26

And so it begins.. I know it's five months away and not exactly Mount Everest but it's a personal challenge for me and him so I've upped my usual dog walking to a two hour walk including hills at the weekend and I have to be honest, I'm liking it. Poly myalgia a bit of an issue but with diet change and care I can get over that and with the back up of some very generous people I will achieve this.
Anyone else doing a personal challenge at the moment?

Menopaws Sun 16-Sep-18 17:08:27

Yes in Royal Victoria and no won't do it again, it's actually been a sweet experience with plenty of tears and laughs and enjoying time with him however we spend it so don't care we didn't complete, honestly Edmund Hillary would have had a job last night let alone simpletons like us

midgey Sun 16-Sep-18 13:11:11

Sounds like you made a wise choice, congratulations for all your hard work. Perhaps you can risk it again in the spring hopefully exhurricane Helene won’t be around then!

BBbevan Sun 16-Sep-18 12:38:49

Well done Menopaws and your DH. At least you gave it a go.
Are you in The Royal Victoria hotel ?

Anniebach Sun 16-Sep-18 11:24:23

It is beautiful isn’t it, I long to see it again, wouldn’t attempt climbing though , you were both so brave

Menopaws Sun 16-Sep-18 11:20:55

Thanks Annie it really was a beautiful day yesterday so we saw the mountains in all their glory and it is a lovely place indeed

Anniebach Sun 16-Sep-18 11:14:52

Menopaws, , so sorry the weather stopped you from reaching the summit, but no way is it possible to beat off the wind and rain up there. You should both be so proud of yourselves

Llongyfarchion (Congratulations) x

Menopaws Sun 16-Sep-18 10:59:32

Right last night it was and unfortunately Wales threw it's worst at the mountain. Our guides were magnificent and tried their best to get us to the summit and a few did make the top train station but many turned back, me being one of them. My husband made it to the station and arrived back at the hotel at 3am absolutely soaked even though well kitted out, pockets full of water etc. The wind was vicious and the guides turned them back. Consider he had treatment last Thursday he did brilliantly and is having a very quiet day now as we look ont at Snowdon from our hotel bed or at least at the fog surrounding the mountain!
I was concerned about holding him back, being last, needing loo etc etc and felt quite sick and didn't eat or drink enough during day so felt lightheaded quite early on and decided not to go on while I could still return to the hotel on my own without taking a guide away from the group, which would have been done if I was further on. I hated the restrictions of so much kit and knew the wind and rain was coming so never regretted my decision, fully supported by my husband and when I saw his headlight in the filthy weather all alone at 3am at the end of the mountain road from hotel room I shed a tear of pure pride and love.
Cancer may be a complete bastard but it has taught us so much about life and others and given us opportunities together like this we would never have had. Thank you to those of you who supported us, you know who you are, and apparently the whole group raised over £20,000 for the Marsden but the way it organises these events raises awareness that is priceless.
Next event for us is Tuesday zip lining in Snowdonia but that was a gift for husbands birthday from our children but we should be able to do that together which will be fun! Even the forecast is still rain, thanks Wales, you are beautiful albeit a little damp!!

Menopaws Thu 31-May-18 21:05:29

Yep an hour and half, four miles but what a long day now, anyway have to walk again, half hour will do so will do another early tomorrow as out on the raz in the evening so long day for dog but son will be in to walk and feed, lie in sat methinks!

Anniebach Thu 31-May-18 15:40:15

Five in the morning ? I am in awe x

Doodle Thu 31-May-18 15:08:19

Wow meno you are certainly on track. I have started exercising recently (nothing in your league) and admire your commitment. Keep going.

P.S. Sorry, but I'm not getting up before 6 to see you off grin will still be in my bed ?

MawBroon Thu 31-May-18 10:24:23

Respect! ✊

Menopaws Thu 31-May-18 05:10:42

Ok I need witnesses, time 05.06, my mission that I have chosen to accept is early morning walks from now on, my OH has been doing the dog first thing and me in the evening but albeit slightly tinged with sadness he has come to the conclusion it is just too painful for him to do it at the mo but I'm not going to see it like that, I'm seeing it as an opportunity to get out of my cocoon while it is so light in the mornings and get moving. I've now got to that lovely stage when I really want to walk more not just for the dog but for me so I'm cashing in...off I go.
Please note however, when it rains I will not be so bright about it!!

Menopaws Sun 27-May-18 14:00:05

Yes I have them but forgot them but will do next time thanks

Greyduster Sun 27-May-18 09:02:42

I hate those sort of steps too, Meno. There are a lot on the steeper sections of the coastal paths and they are a trial. Are you using poles? They do take a lot of pressure off your knees.

Menopaws Sun 27-May-18 00:47:08

Llenberis? The easiest path apparently!

Nelliemoser Sat 26-May-18 23:18:10

Where are you starting from? Pen y pass?
I loved that walk but my painful back joints are too worn to do much now.
Enjoy if you can.

Menopaws Sat 26-May-18 23:01:19

Thank you my trusted ladies, means a lot x

lemongrove Sat 26-May-18 21:53:53

Well done Meno we are with you in spirit ( as we sit on our comfy sofas eating popcorn) keep it up! ???‍♀️

MawBroon Sat 26-May-18 19:34:08

Menopaws I am totally in awe of what you are doing!
Bear in mind that muscle weighs more than fat so you may well be toning up as you gain muscle strength without actually losing lbs.
Your metabolism will benefit however and you may well find the lbs melting away in due course.
Magnificent thing to do! Respect.

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 19:16:29

Aw, there will times like this, but you were proud when you finished those damn steps, think how proud you will be when you CONQUER SNOWDON ?

Menopaws Sat 26-May-18 18:29:38

Another session today of hill training with husband, mixed emotions funnily. Proud to do it, feel good and getting fitter I think but fed up cos hauling round extra weight which isn't budging but I know it would feel easier if lighter. Did first long hill nice and steady felt good, puffed but ok then we did long steep steps down a hill all 276 of the sods! and back up. You know those wide steps built into hillsides so they are all uneven and different widths making it tricky to do one a stride so it's all hopping and jumping and I found it really hard which made me sulky and annoyed. Slopes are much better than steps.
I know this is all part of training and seeing the range of people doing the steps it is not too hard but I felt rubbish until I finished of course then I was all proud!
This whole process I'm prepared for and it will do me so much good to get fitter and focussed and share this with my man as I'm not sure he will do another challenge. Off to have hot bath!!

Anniebach Thu 10-May-18 19:22:24

OldMeg, Pyg means Pitch ?, it is a lovely route but the last bit is quite tough isn’t it

Menopaws Thu 10-May-18 19:04:09

Thank you Oldmeg because we are climbing at night it will be different so hopefully not hot and we see dawn on way down so a bit different perspective and two days after that we are doing the big zip line, given to my husband by the kids for his 60th last year so we sound like mr and mrs adventure!

OldMeg Thu 10-May-18 07:25:47

Is that how it’s spelled Anniebach (Pyg not Pig)? I must have been putting my feelings into the climb! It’s certainly a more interesting climb as you can see all the history of the mountain in evetything you pass.

I’ve walked up the Llanberis path many a time. Just take it slow and steady and don’t go on a very hot day if you can manage it.

Menopaws Thu 10-May-18 00:51:11

You are all very kind and supportive but , without sounding crass, we all have mountains to climb