Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(887 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size 😲

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

Teetime Tue 08-May-18 16:21:03

I'm joining you NanKate after several months of stress eating waiting for my foot up and then the last five weeks loafing about with my foot up I find in total I have a stone to lose so I started today. I'm doing the NHS Choices Diet Plan, using MyFitnessPal and I have ordered a tracker. I too am a pear. Good luck to us both - at least its salad time. smile

Eglantine21 Tue 08-May-18 16:29:12

How can you give a universal measurement for all women? My 5ft friend is bound to have a smaller waist measurement than great big me.
I take a size 8 shoe, she takes a 3. We can’t possibly have the same waist measurement.

That’s not to say I couldn’t do with losing a pound - or six.....

Panache Tue 08-May-18 16:39:46

For the past 20 months my once nicely rounded figure has depleted by losing over 3 stone in some 4/5 months and would you believe, even though eating for a Rugby team in order to gain weight for a forthcoming big `op...........I have lost another 9 pounds, so a total altogether of some 4 stone.

Of course my bust has but vanished,my cheek bones are on show and even my shoes are two sizes too big!!!

So why is it that you ladies are dieting to lose weight and I
am struggling to put some back on .....but failing totally?

No justice in this world at all.cupcakecupcake cupcake all round!!!

Bathsheba Tue 08-May-18 16:42:19

Oh please tell me how you've motivated yourself to get back to your healthy eating regime!! I was doing so well, lost nearly a stone and a half, and then stalled. I keep promising myself I will start again 'tomorrow' which, as we all know, never comes, does it hmm
So here I am, stealing the GC's fancy biscuits instead of picking out a couple of sensible rich tea from the biscuit tin. And I've just had a doughnut.
I would be made up if I had a 31" waistline. But it's not going to happen if I keep eating biscuits and doughnuts, is it? blush
Right, serious now: I will start again tomorrow!

NanKate Tue 08-May-18 17:11:29

Teetime I am also basing my eating plan on the NHS Choice Diet. I know if I tried a diet with few carbs, or meal replacements (which I almost started) or anything that said there were certain foods I couldn't have, then I would fail at the first jump.

To be honest I am going through an horrendous family situation and I am stressed and instead of filling my face I am filling sick most of the time. So I have had a jump start as I am not feeling continually hungry.

Eglantine I accept what you say so another way to check what your optimum waist size should be is to get a piece of string and measure your height, then fold the string in half and put it round your waist and it should easily meet. I saw that on the TV last week and it looked quite a good thing to do.

Panache I can understand how you are at the opposite end of the spectrum and ill health can cause weight loss as you have found yourself. What I can't eat I will get sent to you !!

Bathsheba I have been pussy footing about for months trying to motivate myself and then last week My DH had to go away to help our DS and GSs and I can't join them, so I thought that as I could eat anything I wanted and when I wanted without cooking for 2, this would be my golden opportunity and I grabbed it. Today I have bought a selection of nice salad items and made myself an boiled egg salad, which would make DH vomit! Tonight I am going to do similar but change the egg and shavings of cheese to avocado and low fat prawn cocktail. I really do like my puds so when I have one I put some very nice frozen fruit (blackberries, red and black currants)from
Sainsbury's in a dish sprinkle lightly with half sugar put on two dollops of fat free Greek style yog and a sprinkling of seeds and nuts, yummy.

I do realise I am not counting calories but I managed to lose 3 stone ten years ago by just cutting back everything and walking more. So I intend doing it again.

I also bought some Slimfast chocolate caramel treat bars. I have put them in the freezer to make them chewier to eat. They are 95 calories. I cut them in half and put the other half back in the freezer, then cut the half piece into 4 and slowly eat it with my morning coffee if I feel a real craving for chocs.

Also I love Fevertree drinks, especially the naturally light ginger beer. I pour 100 grams into a glass and top up with cold water which I think comes to about 19 cals. It is very refreshing and filling.

I would appreciate if anyone else has any tips on what works for them if they could share them with me, thanks.

Also I would appreciate anyone with a negative attitude to what I am doing to keep it to themselves as I need all the encouragement I can get.

Anyone who wants to join me as a slimming buddy would be most welcome.

I hope as I go down Panache you go up my friend.

Finally I will tell you on Thursday how much I have lost in a week.

shysal Tue 08-May-18 17:13:47

Me too NanKate! I was always a pear, even when I had an 18 inch waist in my 20s. I am now just a blob all over!

Bathsheba Tue 08-May-18 20:37:10

Oh dear, I’m an apple - if I wanted half my height to equal my waist measurement I reckon I’d have to be almost 7’ tall blush

aggie Tue 08-May-18 21:53:21

I am a barrel sad need to lose at least a stone

Cherrytree59 Tue 08-May-18 22:25:47

What do you call an upside down pear?
16 on top but size 14 in jeans, trouser etc.

lemongrove Tue 08-May-18 22:34:37

Good luck with it Nan and anyway, pears are delicious .🍐

Cherrytree59 Tue 08-May-18 22:35:55

So yes I'm joining you NanKate
Also re-joining Slimming World next Tuesday.
1 stone to lose.
I blame the long cold winter for my over indulgence smile

M0nica Tue 08-May-18 22:37:19

There is only one way to know whether you are overweight strip naked and stand in front of a mirror.

I am within the approved BMI, my waist meets approved standards but when I stand in front of the mirror I have a fat round tummy, spare tyre and wobbly inner thighs. I estimate I need to lose 7 - 10lbs to be in a healthy weight zone, as distinct from some silly one size fits all figure from government 'experts'

GrandmaKT Wed 09-May-18 00:20:58

I've just lost the stone I needed to lose for summer by going back to Slimming World. Although I know the way the diet works, I just couldn't be strict enough with myself to do it alone. The weekly weigh-in is a good motivator for me. Just done the string test and I pass!!! I retire at the end of the month and wanted to be fit enough to start an active retirement, so that was my motivation. I find the best thing is to have a holiday, wedding or some other occasion ringed on the calendar and work towards it. Don't put it off, start tomorrow!

Willow500 Wed 09-May-18 06:13:43

I'm an apple and any weight goes immediately round my waist. I lost 3.5 stone about 4 years ago with the (then) Boots diet (it's called Nutracheck now) but as with all diets I've slowly put 2 of that back on. I feel uncomfortable in my clothes and although a couple of things from back then still fit I have to layer to make them look half decent so really do need to lose a stone too. I keep putting off starting - my other half has at least 4 or 5 stone to lose - he also lost 4 stone on the same plan but was pretty miserable doing it! We need to get out and do more walking as well as eating less - hopefully we'll start once his sciatica has cleared up!

Good luck with your diets everyone smile

NanKate Wed 09-May-18 06:57:50

Well done GrandmaKt it’s not easy but you have done it.

I think starting a diet is always the the hardest part. When I was so successful 11 years ago I got into my mind that it wasn’t a diet but an eating plan for life. So this is how I am approaching this weight loss push. Also if I want to take a day off I do but I find I don’t go mad as I know how hard it will be to lose it again.

Now I could be wrong but I think the older I get the harder it is, not mentally but physically, to lose weight. Mainly as I am not as active as I was.

I’m sure you are not a blob Shysal and thanks Lemongrove yes pears are lovely especially when lightly cooked in the microwave.

Now GrandmaKt could you give us a few tips on what helped for you or a low calorie treat you really enjoyed. I am keen to pick up ideas from others.

Finally I do think I have the benefit of a DH who is slim and does not have a big appetite. I would find it harder if he ate a bad diet. This is not a criticism just my thinking on a benefit for me.

Please keep going because the more weight we lose the healthier we will be and possibly live longer.

Panache Wed 09-May-18 08:43:22

Please keep going because the more weight we lose the healthier we will be and possibly live longer.

At the rate I am losing weight then I suppose I can expect a VERY LONG LIFE up ahead!!!

Sometimes one has to take the light hearted approach and it does far more good than being all morose and miserable!!!

Teetime Wed 09-May-18 09:32:21

NanKate happy to be your diet buddy and we can chat here or pm. Had a good day yesterday but an evening meeting which stopped me lusting for wine!!. I have put my meals for today in Myfitnesspal andknow that I have a few calories for snacks this evening plus small glass of red. Good luck with your day. smile

Eglantine21 Wed 09-May-18 09:40:01

Nankate, Idid what you said with the string and am happy to report that I passed that test. No problem.

But then I have always been quite small down to my waist and then I blossom! Totally out of proportion. Like God had two spare bits of people left over and stuck them together!

NanKate Wed 09-May-18 09:43:02

Thank you Teetime that would be lovely.

My DH who has been away recently is taking me out to lunch today and I will definitely have a glass of wine and choose my main course carefully and no pud, but the wine will make up for that!

Pananche my comment was a bit thoughtless and I realise many people, such as yourself, lose weight through illness. However I suspect from our PM chats you will not take offence at my comments, as you appear to have a good sense of humour.

Candelle Wed 09-May-18 10:10:01

Panache

Have you considered having your weight loss checked out by your GP? Just a thought...

Kim19 Wed 09-May-18 10:30:45

Good morning Panache! Wouldn't dream of undermining your intelligence but I'm thinking along the lines of Candelle in that your weight loss seems extraordinarily severe. Think I also picked up that you may have been unwell recently so maybe the whole situation is under control. Please don't regard this as interference. Simple concern actually.

Sheilasue Wed 09-May-18 10:48:57

I am apple shape and I am eating sensibly and healthy.
Also found a blog for woman who are not the average sizes.
Found it useful some things on there I thought I could never wear so am quite glad I found it.

MawBroon Wed 09-May-18 10:55:23

Would it be advertising to share, please Sheilasue?
I am sure there are many (like me) who might be interested.

MawBroon Wed 09-May-18 11:02:30

I think if you were to read between the lines of Panache’s posts here and elsewhere (Good Mornimg, Is there life after cancer,etc ) you would find that she has indeed been very ill, but (🤞🤞fingers crossed ) is much better now.

Panache Wed 09-May-18 11:33:36

Please dear Gn`s.......Candelle,Kim19,Nankate,MawBroon and all...........thanks indeed for your kind concerns, whilst let me put it on record here and now........I have a very broad sense of humour, and I am not the sort to take offence easily.

Furthermore my putting over my own six pennyworth here for all to read, I can quite expect to have various comments passed.
At least as a fairly newbie, it is highly comforting knowing I am not being ignored!!
In fact a big thank you for showing concern,it is much appreciated.

But as MawBroon kindly states I have a long history of serious health issues, although believe it or not, this vast loss of weight only started in Sept 2016........after a week in Hospital.
I have continually been under several Consultants undergoing a massive programme of procedures ever since the following January 2017.......when it was discovered I had lost well over 3 stone in weight during those few months.
After another 3 weeks in Hospital earlier this year I then lost another 9 pounds............making the total loss some 4 stone..........totally unacceptable.
I am due to undergo another serious `op the tuesday after Whitsun.
So have been strictly advised to make up these last 9 pounds at least... prior to the `op...........so apart from eating as well as I can (a very limited choice may I add) I am trying to manage 4 cans of Ensure Plus(a meal in a can) per day until that date.

As a plus .................and I certainly have no intention of hogging this particular thread...........I have had the somewhat double edged "pleasure" of clearing out my entire wardrobe,and starting anew!

So it ain`t all bad folks!!!!!

Wishing you a very healthy weight loss NanKate..... (and all those following the same diet)........just think of the joy of renewing your various wardrobes again,that should be a great incentive every time you feel like “slipping” in your given diet!!

JaneD3 Wed 09-May-18 12:10:52

I am in NanKate! Lost 3 1/2 stone by last Spring, put on 1 1/2 😪. Daughter’s wedding in August - would like to lose 20 -25 lbs by then. Some hope!

NanKate Wed 09-May-18 12:37:18

Welcome and join the Club JaneD. I often think keeping the weight off is even more tricky than losing weight.

MawBroon Wed 09-May-18 12:47:28

I’m in too!
Years of slowing down, spending more time in the house with Paw plus doing everything possible to keep his weight up, organic/ full fat/butter basted /full cream two hot meals a day, not to mention the evening wine when the going got tough, have all taken their toll of my weight.
My recent gastric “episodes” also scared the sh*t out of me.
I feel I have tried every diet know to man and despite losing weight “found” it again all too easily.
Now 2 stone over what I would be happy with, although more like 3 over what is considered “ideal” so time to get a grip.
I have decided to give up alcohol and bread/wheat for starters . But need to be more structured than just that I expect.
Where do I go from here?

Jane43 Wed 09-May-18 12:52:49

I saw the string test on TV last week too but what it equates to is your waist should be half your height. My height is 5’8” so my waist should be 34” - a way to go to reach that I’m afraid.

I have done many diets over the years but the only foolproof one for me is writing down everything I eat and drink and calculating the calories. I also recently started cutting out breakfast and only eating between 12 noon and 7pm. It is tough at first but it is an excellent way of cutting calories and according to Doctor Michael Moseley it is very beneficial to your health.

Jane43 Wed 09-May-18 13:11:27

Another item on the obesity programme was to avoid processed foods, especially ready meals because they require less chewing and digesting thus expending fewer calories.

DH has just been diagnosed diabetic therefore we have had to stop buying processed foods as much as we can. We find the traffic light system on food labels is useful, in fact we scrutinise food labels very carefully now.

There has been programme about food on in the morning after BBC news and there have been some interesting features. The most shocking is that foods and drinks labelled sugar free can have a certain percentage of added sugar not to mention other sugar substitutes that are bad for your health so it is wise to look at the labels on such foods.

I agree with all of you who say it is hard to keep the weight off once you have lost it.

Panache Wed 09-May-18 14:08:33

I shall be taking note of all your dieting,so lo and behold those that fall by the wayside!!

Just keep your eye and thoughts on a brand new summer or autumn outfit!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 09-May-18 15:06:04

I've just measured my waist and sadly it is 36" - far too big for my height of 5'1" - on the positive side I've lost a few pounds. Apparently I'm no longer overweight.
I'm an 'inverted pear' but no need to envy me - you should see my awful tummy. When it comes to dieting I find that there's no substitute for will-power. Best of luck to you all.

NanKate Wed 09-May-18 15:15:39

Welcome Panache are you going to be our friendly and very understanding Umpire?

So far we have Teetime, JaneD3 and MawBroon signed up. I in fact started my new diet plan last Thursday but I suspect the others will be starting this week.

Teetime and I (or is it me) are going for 6lbs by the end of

May, however our other members may have their own ideas.

I shall be stripped starkers tomorrow morning standing on the scales. I promise to tell you results 😉

JaneD3 Wed 09-May-18 16:03:21

I started on Monday so I will be there tomorrow!

DotMH1901 Wed 09-May-18 16:36:55

NanKate - I am the opposite shape to you - my bust is a size 22 top (I can fit in a size 20 if the material is stretchy at the front which is where I need it!) and a size 14 bottom! When I diet I never lose weight from my bust, it goes from my legs, face and bottom (any tips about losing weight on your bust without surgery would be welcome). My son is trying the Keto diet and has lost 11 lbs in a week (he is very overweight though) so might see if that sort of loss continues for him and try it myself - low carb diets do work for me far better than other sorts do

grandtanteJE65 Wed 09-May-18 17:01:22

Oops I tried the measuring trick, and whether I measure in cms or in inches my waist is at least an inch to large !
And that was when I cheated and sucked in my breath!

NanKate Wed 09-May-18 17:13:19

Hi Dot I am not qualified in any way to give advice other than from my own experience but you are welcome to that.

I always find that if I try a diet that denies me things I want them all the more, hence my reduction in the amount of food but nothing is barred other than candyfloss :-)

Also I change around the way I eat. Such as I said I am partial to a pud so today I had my usual small bowl of chopped fruit with some fat free yog. I kept it for the afternoon (a time when I am often hungry) and had it with my cuppa.

Now tonight will be a challenge going out for a meal so I am about to check whether to have a Prosecco or a glass of Merlot and I will choose the least calories main course and leave it at that.

So for me it is all about changing things around, cutting down, increasing my walking and when I felt so tempted this morning to have my usual Rich Tea with my morning coffee I thought to myself that I would just have the coffee and if I still felt tempted in about 20 minutes I would have it. Well I was never tempted.

Of course you need to bear in mind I am all positive about losing weight now, how I will feel in 3 weeks time is another thing, that is why I am so grateful to have Teetime and the team in our Club.

nana5852 Wed 09-May-18 19:36:10

I'm trying to shed about another stone and a half (lost about a stone over the last 10 weeks). I'm sort of mixing and matching....doing the 5/2 but as 4/3 instead and using the hairy bikers diet recipes....particularly the filling soups. Husband is happy with hearty soup three days a week and he's shed around 6 pounds over the same period although not otherwise 'slimming'.
I'm a 5'9" inverted pear myself so interested in the blog link Sheilasue mentions. Good luck to all those trying to ditch the flab.

icanhandthemback Wed 09-May-18 21:06:41

I'm in. I signed up again to Slimming World last Friday and lost 1 and a half pounds. I want to lose another stone but even half would make me feel a million dollars.

Legs55 Wed 09-May-18 21:40:43

I was taken off my Diabetic tablets by the Hospital when I was admitted for a Urine Infection. I lost 2 stone in 5 months, I was still above my ideal weight but looked awful in my face although I felt well. Following my Diabetic revue (my Diabetes results had "shot threw the roof") I was placed on new medication, end result is my Diabetes is under control but I have put all the weight back onconfused despite not changing my diet. I would love to lose some weight & since joining a Pilates class I have slimmed around my waisthmm. Good luck to every-one trying to lose weight, I'm hoping that being more active in the Summer will help me (maybe)

icanhandthemback Wed 09-May-18 21:56:09

Legs55, that is interesting. I have found since I have been on metformin that it is really difficult to lose the weight like I used to and it goes on twice as fast

NanKate Thu 10-May-18 06:45:40

Legs55 I do so feel for you particularly when you said that you had put the weight back on despite not changing your diet. I really do think that medication and different illnesses have an affect on our weight. It’s not fair but it is a reality.

As well as being on steroids for 2 years (almost off them) and having a slower metabolic rate due to the reduction (forced by the doctor) of my thyroxin tablets for an under active thyroid this has all had an impact on my weight. But never one to beaten by these problems I am determined to lose a few pounds.

Teetime and I are trying for 6lbs by the end of May and I really hope that we, plus are other club members, can shift a few pounds of ugly fat. I think that having each other for support is really important.

So I shall now pop downstairs for my first weigh in and shall report back come what may. So wish me luck.

NanKate Thu 10-May-18 07:10:12

Well my first report is disappointing I am exactly the same weight as last week despite my efforts.

So I am going back to the drawing board and seeing where I can make some reductions and soldier on. Remember girls/ladies/women/friends losing a few pounds can lift ones spirits, let you get into your clothes without them feeling
tight and improve your health.

Remember our slogan OnwardandDownward

PamelaJ1 Thu 10-May-18 07:25:39

Panache- now you did say you don’t take offence easily!
There is research that has investigated fecal transplants. Of course it is targeted at the opposite problem to yours but if you were able to find a chubby donor😂

icanhandthemback Thu 10-May-18 07:44:27

NanKate, sometimes you need to use a tape measure too to find out if things are going the right way. I know some people change shape before they actually lose the weight and the tape measure will show you are heading in the right direction which keeps you on track.

JaneD3 Thu 10-May-18 08:07:01

I have lost 4lbs since Monday so now total loss of 2st 8lbs. Low carb is the only diet that works for me and lets me have goodies like egg and bacon for breakfast! Now just need to wash up grin

Panache Thu 10-May-18 08:55:15

First of all signing in as Nankate`s "friendly and understanding" umpire..........
Whilst rather disappointing results thus far NaKate do not be disheartened as it is VERY early days yet...........but please keep your eyes * onward & downward*

Pamelaji.

I am like the proverbial brick wall,offence bounces off me!!
Now you do have me intrigued although I think I get the gist of what you are proposing.............shockconfused

I think I might stick with my very trim figure thank you............however,now if you know of a way to transplant faces............I am your guinea pig!!!

NanKate Thu 10-May-18 09:01:19

Thanks Ican good advice I shall measure myself later. Now where did I put that measuring tape ?

Excellent news JaneD3 are you swivelling round in your clothes.

Glad you are ready to oversee us Panache and give encouragement.

I remember when I lost a lot of weight before someone came up to me and said 'You've gone all thin in the face' I could have lobbed her one.

Teetime Thu 10-May-18 09:08:49

First two days have gone well but going alcohol free is a privation to far so it was a small measured G & T last night and 175ml glass of red- total calories under 1400 for both days- salad weather thankfully. Trying not to weigh myself until Tuesday morning. smile

MawBroon Thu 10-May-18 09:12:59

Well done Jane, too early for me to tell (started on Tuesday) but I am sticking to no alcohol which must be a help.

icanhandthemback Thu 10-May-18 09:16:26

NanKate, when I lost 4 stone a few years ago, all my family kept on about was how big my head looked in relationship to my body. I was totally demoralised at the time but would relish those comments now!

Candelle Thu 10-May-18 10:18:41

Panche
Thank you for updating us. Fast weight-loss without any diet restrictions is always a worry and although I was fairly sure you were aware of possible concerns, I just had to mention it,

I have a friend who has had rapid weight-loss, too - without any input from herself! She has had every test under the sun and continues to be monitored but 'they' are, as yet, unable to find any cause.

As rapid weight-loss can be a symptom of nasty conditions, I am pleased that you didn't mind 'interference' from GN-ers!

Keep well!!

Panache Thu 10-May-18 10:38:54

Candelle,actually I am more than a little touched that you and several others should be so concern ed about a newcomer,that is so kind of you all.

There are a whole range of issues here,some have been investigated,others are on going but as yet no real answers ............and although the weight loss has slowed down,I am still losing mainly a pound a day.

I am due to undergo very complicated Surgery in under 3 weeks,this failed previously so we can but hope for success this time,and it may then in due course,give us some pointers.

It has meant a complete new wardrobe but the problem left.......as I am sure your friend will confirm...........are the rolls of empty unsightly flesh all over!!!

Whilst Please ladies,your "interference" is pure joy to my ears............and if I can help others on the way, then indeed I shall truly be happy.

GrandmaKT Thu 10-May-18 11:01:31

Hi NanKate,
You asked for a few tips. Well, I do think the Slimming World diet is an easy one to follow. I did it two years ago, and lost one and a half stone, but it gradually started to creep back on. (All my own fault, as I just went back to my old ways!) |With SW there is no need to ever actually be hungry. I do find when I go to the group though, that there are a lot of excuses - "It's my birthday/my husband's birthday/ the dog's birthday" etc. I've tried to avoid going out for meals while I've been dieting. Going to friends for dinner is the worst because there isn't a choice and you don't want to offend. In restaurants, I order a steak and salad, a couple of times we've had fish and chips but I've just had fish and mushy peas and taken off (most of!) the batter. I snack on fruit and veg (raw carrots are a good standby if you feel the need for something to chew on!) I allow myself a small glass of wine a day for my treat. Usually I have porridge with frozen fruits of the forest for breakfast. All lean meats and all veg including potatoes are allowed. If I want something sweet I'll have a fat free yoghurt with extra fresh fruit. I have definitely found that the longer I have been on the diet the less I feel like eating sweets and chocolate. I tell myself that I have eaten plenty of sweet things in the past and I'm not going to deny myself forever, but I'm not eating them at the moment. There is a good Facebook page with loads of recipes: www.facebook.com/pinchofnom/
Good luck everyone - you CAN do it! x

Shizam Thu 10-May-18 14:14:36

sheilasue I’d be most interested in learning name of that blog. I’m also an Apple, and getting more apple-ish as I age. Weight remains the same, but waist increasing as bum and thighs diminish. Which is most annoying. So any tis would be handy.

NanKate Thu 10-May-18 16:32:46

Thanks GrandmaKT this is just the sort of info we need.

Grandmama Thu 10-May-18 18:15:37

I thought that yesterday I said I would join NanKate but perhaps I forgot to post my message. The weight lost with OldMeg in February and March has crept back on. Are we keeping in touch with each other?

NanKate Fri 11-May-18 06:55:53

Hello there Grandmama how I envisaged this thread running is that we say the type of diet we are going to follow and report back once a week the results.

Also we would give tips to others on what works well or recommend low calorie food.

I reported yesterday that disappointingly after one week of serious food reduction I hadn’t lost an ounce. I have been thinking hard how I could change things so reluctantly I think I must COUNT my calories not just select low calorie foods.

We all have different metabolic rates so we can’t compare ourselves with others as it could be disheartening if our own weight loss is slower than others.

So my job for today is to set up a chart of food I regularly eat and estimate the calories and then put them in a calorie diary.

As I said before for me cutting out certain foods does not work I just crave them all the more, but I know for others the Low Carbs, or the 5.2 etc diets work.

So onward and downward fellow dieters.

MawBroon Fri 11-May-18 08:55:29

Have we set a particular day of the week to clock in?
Monday for example?
BTW I have found in the past that weight loss can often be delayed which is disheartening at the time.
Weight gain on the other hand tends to be instantaneous sad
I automatically weigh myself every morning when I get up and think I may be detecting a teeny weeny downward turn but am curbing my excitement

fourormore Fri 11-May-18 10:46:19

Hi Nankate - please can I join in your weekly check in!
My system is that I record my daily calorie intake on My Fitness Pal - this keeps me focused and also highlights any excesses such as sugar!
We were in contact with the 'getting out of the chair and walking thread' which has now fizzled out I think? On the whole I am walking 'something' each day - probably nowhere near enough but every little amount is better than nothing.
I always weigh myself on Sunday mornings and record it on a chart on my laptop - this also highlights when there is a drop but also if there is a rise!
Sadly the key to all of this is will-power and that is in short supply. However, if we all encourage each other I am sure we can get results. I go on my holiday at the end of June so I do have a target.
Thank you for all your efforts to motivate us flowers

icanhandthemback Fri 11-May-18 11:52:56

I am a little disappointed to have found that I have put on 1/2 a pound but sometimes I know that happens before I have a bigger loss next week so I am trying to be philosophical.

NanKate Fri 11-May-18 15:45:29

Yes Fourormore you are most welcome. I have just downloaded My Fitness Pal at the recommendation of Teetime and now yourself. I must admit I am a bit daunted by it as it is not as User friendly as I would like but at least I can ask you two how to navigate around easily. I was a bit disappointed I couldn't find a Calorie Checker but there is one on the NHS Diet website which they say you can download like an app so I will try that later. Thank you for the flowers to be honest I need you all to motivate me as much as you need me, so flowers all round. flowers

I suggest MawBroon that we check in on the day that suits us best, so it will be a Thursday for me. However if I saw someone else check in on a Monday it would keep me motivated to keep going.

I am not the fount of all knowledge on things dietary so we must try and pick up tips from each other which will help us move Onward and Downward.

Nice to have such a positive bunch of dieters to work with.

NanKate Fri 11-May-18 15:46:46

Now can anyone tell me what a Fitbit is, which I think looks like a watch ? Is it worth having and what does it do please ?

Panache Fri 11-May-18 16:09:04

I have been standing awaiting patiently in the wings before taking over my position as umpire.... as your groups dieters take their places Nankate.

I will leave the Fitbit query for others to answer .......whilst I will quietly stand back........clapping the ones who do well.......and coming down hard on those that are not taking their diets seriously!!
It matters not which method you each choose,what matters is your dedication and the scales will ultimately speak out at the end of this exercise............I don`t think that this has yet been mentioned?
May I say mid June initially??............and then perhaps reassessing the situation if needs be?

Flowers restricted until that person sheds the weight that reaches their targate.

Perhaps all 4? of you would like to state your target weight, so we can set in stone before you all get down to the serious business of denying yourselves I mean getting yourselves all trim again!

May I also add........Good luck to you all.

fourormore Fri 11-May-18 16:58:33

Thanks NanKate for your welcome.
Once you start on MFP it becomes clearer but to be honest I only use it as a focus - I'm not bothered about profiles etc.
It is useful to be able to record 'tonight's fish and chips' or whatever earlier in the day because you then know what you have left for the rest of the day.
As for the suggestion of setting a target I am happy to go along with that but fear it could make it easier for those who only lose a bit at a time to feel hopeless and give up? Best to lose a bit at a time and reach your target eventually that put pressure of achieving the target by a certain date?
Obviously any individual can set their own target date.
At the moment I want to lose some weight before my holiday at the end of June but as (ideally) I want to lose a couple of stone in total eventually I do realise I won't lose that amount in my limited time.
I started my latest weight chart on 8th April when I weighed 188.8lbs (nearly 13st 7lbs)
Last Sunday morning, four weeks later, I weighed 182.4 so have lost nearly half a stone so I'm ok with that.
I am happy to log in my result every Sunday or Monday.
Go for it folks! Nag me if I go astray! grin

wildswan16 Fri 11-May-18 17:27:25

I feel a bit left out - I am not a pear, or even an apple, more sort of straight up and down and a bit on the scrawny side. I guess I could be a banana but don't have the bend, maybe a cucumber, or a carrot would describe me better.

Anyway, good luck to all who are trying to shrivel your apple or pears.

NanKate Fri 11-May-18 21:43:47

Excellent Fourormore good half stone weight loss. Isn’t lovely when you put on an item of clothing and it swivels round on you ?

Hello Panache good to see you are keeping an eye on us all. Yes I am happy to give my weight too, but I do realise others would prefer to keep it to themselves and that is fine. Thank you Panache for your PM which I will reply to this weekend. I have been rather absorbed in things dietary today, making a food journal, downloading the NHS Calorie Counter and the My Fitness App.

So I am 10stone 13lbs. If I followed the advice which tells me I am overweight and need to get down to the low 9 stone mark, I would say to them No Thanks I would be more than happy to get down to 10 stone which is what I was when I got married in 1971. I am 5 foot 2 and a half inches.

WildSwan16 just be grateful you are what my mum would have described as a streak of pump water, no offence meant, because you do not have to battle big time like some of us to shift a few pounds/stones.

So I am signing off for the night but will be checking up tomorrow on all those who said they wanted to join the Onward and Downward Club.

Shizam Fri 11-May-18 21:44:12

Lols to wildswan16 I’m a bit like that, but a sort of puffy banana. sheilasue have tried looking for that blog on apples and fashion, no luck. Please update!

Sunlover Sat 12-May-18 08:51:39

I wear a Fitbit every day. My kids bought it for me as a birthday present a couple of years ago. I have found it definitely makes me walk more. I have set myself the target of at least 10,000 steps a day this year. So far I am averaging over 11,000 a day. It makes me go out for a walk everyday and I feel much better for it. I will park the car further away from the shops, use the stairs and get up and move to make sure I hit the 10,000. My husband thinks I'm crazy!!!

Panache Sat 12-May-18 10:11:48

Sunlover...... your husband will be the one filled with envy when he finds you, his wife, getting trimmer and fitter by the day!!!

How much betting he will also want in on the action!!

Keep up the good work.

NanKate Sat 12-May-18 21:07:09

Well hello folks how are things going for those of you who signed up, metaphorically, to the Onward and Downward Club ? Things have gone a bit quiet.

Well to update you with my progress or otherwise there is just one word NUTS. I was flummoxed last week that I had not lost weight when I had tried to so hard. I decided counting calories was the way for me. So I checked how much the occasional half handful of nuts were that I have a few times a day when feeling peckish. I was horrified to see I could easily be adding 400 calories to my daily intake. So that could easily be the answer to my lack of progress.

What could be your downfall if you don't keep an eye on things ?

MawBroon Sun 13-May-18 08:27:13

Hidden calories, eh? Pesky little buggers!
I think I may have lost 3 maybe even 4 lb since last weekend. My only reason for hesitating was that I did feel especially porky and it could have been fluid retention because of the heat.
So I’ll say 3.
I am doing Slimfast for 2 meals a day and trying to stick to around 500 calories for supper. Gradually I will replace one Slimfast with “real” food with the same calories (250)
Then just see how it goes.
My goal is to lose 2 stone which would still put my BMI at over 25, but frankly the NHS ideal max weight for my height (9st11) is ridiculous,

Panache Sun 13-May-18 08:36:39

One feeling rather proud of a real loss of the "flab" ....good on you MawBroon......the incentive for you to shape up too NanKate.
Dieting is a painful business and it can make you quite dispirited,but then all of a sudden those Scales go your way........and there is room for some rejoicing.

As you say.......Ladies its Onward and downward!!

Teetime Sun 13-May-18 09:49:55

NanKate Myfitness pal remembers your usual foods so once you have searched for something and put it in say Breakfast e.g. boiled egg its there for next time so you don't keep searching so it gradually builds up your favourites and then its just a few clicks at a time.

I went out for dinner last night and had some crispy duck which wasn't, a grilled steak and salad - boring as hell but lovely because DD2 came and I don't often get her to myself.
Home cooked paella and then strawberries for Sunday dinner.
Have a lovely Sunday xxxflowers

fourormore Sun 13-May-18 10:19:30

Pride goes before a fall - brag alert - but it probably won't last!
My Sunday morning weigh-in shows a loss of 3lbs! I am now just over 13 stone. Brilliant loss but I should be about 12foot tall!
I was very good all week last week but ..... there's a big but...!
Today we are out to lunch to celebrate Sister and Bro-in-law's Golden wedding plus son's birthday plus daughter-in-law's birthday!
Could be a heavy day today hmm - I intend to enjoy today's celebrations. I will have to be very aware through next week!
However, what I have found works is that Sunday is also called 'Sinday' for me as on Sunday's I will treat myself to a piece of chocolate, biscuits and/or a pudding! We can't be good all the time but AFTER weighing on Sunday morning it is then treats day before starting another week!
Give it a go fellow comrades - we WILL succeed!

NanKate Sun 13-May-18 14:30:05

Excellent news folks.

I am having a day off for the Royal Wedding and then back to counting calories.

Thanks Teetime for the advice on the app haven't got to grips with it yet.

MawBroon Mon 14-May-18 08:58:40

Right girls! Weighing in procedure to be followed.

(Weight loss guaranteed) gringrin

fourormore Mon 14-May-18 12:37:28

Maw - I love that!
Good luck everyone as we start a new week!

JaneD3 Mon 14-May-18 13:18:19

Not giving my weight but I would like to lose another 20 lbs by August. That would make a total of 4 stones.

NanKate Mon 14-May-18 14:33:20

Well done Jane for keeping at it. Not easy I know from experience, but the benefits are well worth it.

Overthehills Mon 14-May-18 22:22:17

Hello eveeybody in the Onward and Downward Club - please may I join you? The weight has slowly crept on and I’ve been blaming advancing years and the fact that I can’t walk easily because of an op on my foot which went wrong. But you are all so positive and supportive that you’ve inspired me. I’m going to make Thursday my weigh in day so will give you my target then - I think it will be about a stone to lose. I hope Panache won’t mince her words with me! Thankyou in advance!

Teetime Tue 15-May-18 09:08:24

Only a 2 pound loss in my first week so a bit disappointed. DD2 came home at the weekend and although I was very good with food a few glasses of wine were taking as we chatted. Must do better this week. Still not allowed any exercise for a another 2 weeks which is frustrating.

NanKate Tue 15-May-18 09:26:55

A big welcome Overthehill I am glad you have joined us. Thursdays are my day too. I am keen for us not to compare weight loss, but just give each other tips.

Also it would be good to know what regime you are following I am basing mine on the NHS diet advice (worth looking up online) and NOW counting calories as I lost none in the first week as I was estimating my calorie intake and not realising nuts are very high in calories.

Here is my tip of the day. I love puds so when I would normally have a small fruit salad and Greek yog fat free I now eat it at about 3.00p.m. with my cuppa and that has had the knock on effect of me not being hungry at about 4.45.
Onward and downward.

Overthehills Tue 15-May-18 10:43:33

Thankyou for your welcome Nankate - I was quite nervous about nailing my colours to the mast but feel better now.
I am going to try calorie counting - as accurately as possible this time as I have guesstimated in the past and it hasn’t worked. Bloating is a problem for me so any help with that would be appreciated. Will look at the NHS website you mention and I want to eat as healthily as possible.
Don’t know whether to set myself a goal time wise - what do others think?

Panache Tue 15-May-18 15:46:26

At least you are all genuinely trying..............when you start trying my patience, yes, there may harsh words spoken overthehills! ... or whilst I am sat in that kitchen keeping an eye on you too where the cake is concerned JaneD3!!..........but fret not ladies, I have been there myself so I have great understanding.
Yet I so want to see you all achieve and both look and feel all the better for your dieting.

So let the theme onward and downward continue.smile

MawBroon Tue 15-May-18 16:10:32

I had to see the GP this morning about the last gastric episode and was fully expecting to get the diet/weight/BMI talk. But I burst into tears as soon as I sat down and instead had a very reassuring little chat about not trying to do too much too soon after losing Paw.She didn’t ask what I weigh either.
She was pleased I have given up alcohol as it certainly can’t do any harm but other tthan ordering a full set of bloods and an ECG to make sure it was gastric and not heart related, she was just very sympathetic! Just as well as a friend took me out to Lovh Fyne for a belated birthday lunch. No wine, no pudding and couldn’t finish my main course (seafood tagliatelle)
I have however got a thrombophlebitis which is very painful and may have contributed to the tears. So leg elevated as much as possible.

Panache Tue 15-May-18 17:26:35

This calls for special dispensation Maw,and apart from elevating your painful leg (snap...... me too) I think you have sacrificed enough for one day.
What no wine,no pud and only a partly eaten tagliatelle?? .......you have earned many brownie points on my scale of dieting.

How ever, on a more serious and genuine sympathetic note, I am so sorry to hear that healthways you are truly struggling,whilst of course when unwell every little (and big) heartache rises up within and you generally feel really down .
In your case it is totally understood because you have made remarkable progress within the short time I have been here on GN.This is just a reaction to a host of things.
Personally perhaps the message is to slow down a tad and receive some pampering .......you reach out to others well perhaps you too need that loving arm around your shoulder.
I happily send you mine.
We all have our most vulnerable moments.

May I simply say I am truly thinking of you,hoping,trusting that just slowing down and following whatever route your rather understanding Doctor maps out will be the one to follow.

Time for some TLC and let me just send my own best wishes with a healthy uplifting dose of sunshine and a fewflowers

Grandmama Tue 15-May-18 21:32:19

Onward and Downward: I've had a shaky start, have been feeling very low and lost all self control with the biscuit tin which is a vicious circle: another biscuit to cheer me up then feeling even lower because of the calories.

Starting properly now - I feel better for owning up to my biscuit binge. I'll be eating less and following the 5:2 regime and, whenever possible, the 15:9 too. Being northerners we have our dinner at lunchtime and for tea I just have a bowl of fresh fruit salad and a very small square of home-made cake with an apple mid-evening. Walking as much as possible instead of taking the bus and it's also my busy time in the garden so I have a target loss of 7lbs but 9lbs would be even better.

Will all the Onward and Downward posts continue on this forum?

NanKate Tue 15-May-18 21:45:10

Yes they will Grandmama. Don’t apologise about the biscuits because we are all human and can give in at times.

I know the 5.2 diet suits a lot of people but not for me. The NHS Diet plan and calorie counter are better for me as I want to choose the food I like but in proportions to help me lose weight. I downloaded the calorie counter onto my IPad and it has proved very useful. I even had enough for a white wine spritzer 125ml wine plus sugar free 7Up.

fourormore Tue 15-May-18 22:21:02

So many of us are vulnerable at the moment so we will support and encourage each other. flowersflowersflowers
We will all slip at various times as circumstances affect us in many ways but together we will march on each to our own limits and abilities!
I have had great losses the last couple of weeks but had a jump upwards a couple of weeks ago before NanKate got us all going! I'm sure it won't be my last slip! I have my holiday as my target at the moment but I won't have lost all the weight I want to lose by then - my dodgy time will be during and after my holiday when there is no specific reason to keep going hmm
There will be ups and downs but we will overcome.
Here's to better health for our poorly participants flowersflowersflowers

Cherrytree59 Wed 16-May-18 18:46:30

Hi can anybody please send me a large bag of willpower!

I said last week I would definitely be
re-joining my local Slimming world group on the coming Monday evening.
Did I go?
Did I heckers like!

Gave myself a good talking to and attended another not so local S/W club last night (Tuesday).
So far so good
Oats fruit and vanilla yogurt for breakfast
2 bananas for lunch
Baked potato, salmon and salad for evening meal.

Now I want something sweet!
I could have a meringue, fruit and yogurt
(sort of Eton Mess)

But I was also going to keep to 16/8 diet.
As it stands at the moment I would be able to have my breakfast at 9am tomorrow

However if I succumb and have my Eton mess now, no breakfast until after 10.30am and as I will be in yoga class it will be even later by which time I will be quite light headedsad.

I hope my fellow GNERS are doing better than moismile

fourormore Wed 16-May-18 20:49:44

Oh Cherrytree - how familiar is your post!
How I wish willpower could be bought in the shops but it is such a rare commodity these days hmm
Have you tried My Fitness Pal? I use it a lot but just to record my daily food and keep tally of the calories. Personally I can't get to SW or WW groups with my commitments but need to focus!
With MFP, earlier in the day you can record something naughty you want to have in the evening then just restrict yourself to your remaining calories beforehand.
I used to like a mug of hot chocolate (Options or whatever) in the evenings so that would be entered on my diary earlier in the day and I could have it without feeling guilty.
Have a look - you may find it helpful?
Good luck flowers

NanKate Wed 16-May-18 21:43:54

Hi Cherrytree I have been trying for months to get myself motivated and then all of a sudden I managed it.

I just wonder if it is putting to much strain on you trying to do Slimming World and 16.8 at the same time. I would have thought SW would be sufficient, but it is your decision.

Now for those of you with a sweet tooth like me here are the things that help me. I wandered round the different supermarkets, we are lucky to have 3 in our small town, and checked out all their low cal puds and then got a small supply in for when I have sufficient calories left to indulge myself.I particularly like M and S choc mousse.

I also find SevenUp no calories a very good lemonade drink. I water it down by half as it is too sweet. I also added it to a 125ml glass of wine for a very pleasant spritzer.

The NHS Diet Plan has a calorie calculator that you can download. It isn’t an app but I got it downloaded on to my Favourites and it is very useful for those of us counting calories.

Onward and downward girls⬇️

JaneD3 Thu 17-May-18 07:43:42

Thursday weigh in- only one pound so total 2 st 9 lbs. I am a bit disappointed as I only lapsed on Tuesday. It was DHs birthday and we had seafood pasta and garlic bread. The carbs were enough to put on 3lbs overnight. So disheartening but it has almost come off again. Only ten days until our holiday - that could be a disaster!

Overthehills Thu 17-May-18 14:36:58

My first day - weighed myself this morning and I was right, I need to lose a stone. Am counting calories and trying to up the vegetables intake. It’ll be a bind having to weigh things but 🤞🏻 it’ll be worth it. Being overweight is getting me down so much ... Good luck everybody - onward and downward!

NanKate Thu 17-May-18 17:11:02

Hi All,

Sorry I am late in reporting in. It was my weigh in day I have stuck to my calorie counting and have also lost 1 lb like you Jane I am disappointed as I thought it would be at least 2 lbs, but I am continuing as it will be so nice to swivel my trousers a little and health wise I will get better and better.

Overthehills I keep my scales on the table top with a small bowl so I can weigh quickly what I am eating. I note down the calorie count of everything and only have to weigh things once and then consult my chart. It’s getting easier all this calorie counting.

Look fwd to hearing how others are coping.

Shall we march down Windsor High Street carrying our banner Onward and Downward ⬇️ ?

fourormore Thu 17-May-18 19:18:27

NanKate and Jane - a pound is a pound! It's going the right way! It is disappointing though when we don't see the result we want but we will persevere!
Love the idea of the Onward and Downward march!
Think we all may slip a little tomorrow with the wedding?
By the way - my invitation still hasn't arrived sad
Don't forget that tomorrow is just ONE day, if we slip we can behave for the rest of the week and I don't think we'll be having the feast that 'they' will be having!
Good luck everyone!

Cherrytree59 Thu 17-May-18 19:42:06

Thank you
Both NanKate &
fourormore

I have to agree a pound is almost half a bag of sugar or two blocks of lard.
Years ago an old slimming club leader (yep I have been to numerous slimming clubs over the years) used blocks of lard to demonstrate the members weight losses.

So far I have managed to stay on plan today
and I take on board what you said NanKate about doing both the Slimming world plan and 18/6 together.

Onwards and downwardssmile

NanKate Thu 17-May-18 20:28:47

Right team it seems that we are all of the same mind to keep at it.

My plan for the wedding is to have one or two glasses of sparkling and any meal I fancy within reasonable bounds and the rest of the day I will revert to calorie counting. How does that sound ?