Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

MawBroon Sat 14-Jul-18 14:18:14

I too am finding it hard, blame the heat for no energy, the slightest exertion is knackering and I feel like a giant lump of lard. Three pounds have crept back on and the waistbands are beginning to feel tight again. It is very depressing that unless I go on a really strict rigorous diet, at best I stay the same.
I have been out a few times (no puddings and very simple mains, but one glass of wine ) which I assume is to blame sad So I suppose I know what I have to do.

Shirleyw Sat 14-Jul-18 15:52:34

on my holiday i put on about 3 to 4 lb, i was ok with that as i can easily put on half a stone on holiday lol. well done to you all for losing

fourormore Sun 15-Jul-18 11:42:54

Good news fellow strugglers! I lost 2.8lbs this week - I can't brag too much as I have put one small amounts for the last four weeks but at least I have got rid of that which is a start!
I think the hot weather is helping as appetites are lower but then we are drinking more so I don't know?
However, I am back on the wagon - DH is stable now and totally back to his normal bad habits so until we get the test results I am letting him get on with it and taking back control of my diet!
Bless him - he is his own worst enemy but you can lead a horse to water ........ confused
Good luck everyone as we start another week whether you want more or less we will stick together and achieve!

merlotgran Wed 18-Jul-18 09:08:47

Hurrah! That last pesky 1lb has finally gone so I've lost a stone!! It's taken two months but who cares?

It would take me longer than a week to lose 2.8lbs, fourormore - Brilliant!

I love Weight Watchers online. It keeps me on track. Absolutely no cheating.

Keep going, everyone.

fourormore Wed 18-Jul-18 09:48:04

Well done Merlot - persistence pays!
I am delighted with the 2.8 but need to keep aware that it was the 'extra' I had put on over the last month which should be easier to lose!
It is the other stone and a half that I need to get rid of but with all the encouragement on this thread - whether we want to lose or gain - we CAN do it folks!!!

NanKate Wed 18-Jul-18 20:13:14

Well done to all those in the Onward and Downward club who are managing to drop a pound or two. Also those of us who are prepared to say when we have had a blip.

I am coming to the end of my 10 day hols and feel slightly porkier but nothing substantial. Have had alcohol most nights, 2 ice creams, a cream meringue and small pieces of cake, but no sweets or chocolate, no large portions and no fattening puds, other than the meringue.

It's good to feel I have taken control of my eating and having you dear Gransnetters to watch over me, has definitely helped.

NanKate Sun 22-Jul-18 07:03:39

Well I am back from hols and have just crept onto the scales and to my utter surprise have lost half a pound. As we were out and about each day I think the extra exercise must have shifted a bit more. I’m chuffed but mustn’t get complacent as it is only too easy to slip back into my old ways of grazing on nuts and eating biscuits and cake ?

Anyone out there ?

fourormore Sun 22-Jul-18 10:00:52

Hi NanKate You are not alone - I was thinking "Is there anyone else out there?" grin
Sunday weigh in is ok - I have lost 1.4lbs - disappointing but a loss all the same.
I think you're right about the moving about - I am usually out at least some of each day but in this stuffy weather I know my pace is much slower.
Perhaps when the weather cools and we up our pace again things will change?
Good luck to everyone - up or down! flowers

JaneD3 Sun 22-Jul-18 14:17:05

Oh dear - 4 days in France with pure carb (but totally delicious!) breakfasts and steak frites in the evening spelled disaster. 9lbs up in 4 days ???

Grandmama Tue 24-Jul-18 18:51:17

After a very wonky start on Onward and Downward I hit an all time high weight on 6 June. At the beginning of last week I pulled myself together on Sunday 15 July and I have lost 5 lbs. smile

Doing a 4:3 regime. On Mon, Wed, Fri: no home-made muesli, only half a grapefruit for breakfast.

Main meal mid-day with very small carbs portion, satsuma, banana.

Teatime: bowl fresh fruit salad, small square of home made cake (but no cake on Mon, Wed, Fri).

Apple every evening.

No Sunday croissant. sad. No wine at all at the moment.

On course for target weight to be reached by mid-August.

NanKate Wed 25-Jul-18 07:50:32

Glad a few of us are still going Onward and Downward.

Calorie counting suits me as it means I can have a nice chilled spritzer in the evening. I either mix Sevenup Free with a small white wine with plenty of ice, or soda water whichever I have in.

When I have a need for the taste of sweetness I have a sugar free butterscotch or similar which are sold in little boxes near the exit of M and S tills.

I lose weight very slowly, so by the end of the summer I am hoping to lose 5lbs more and then be just at the top of where I should be for my height/age.

NanKate Fri 27-Jul-18 07:34:24

Seem to have taken my eye off the ball a bit and have gained just under a pound. Of course it could be my one fat ankle that is doing it ?

I am not going to let my weight creep back on as it has been too hard fought for.

Onward and downward ?

fourormore Sat 28-Jul-18 08:54:41

NanKate we may have a new member of our little band!
Robbin4ever has posted on another thread and I have suggested she join us!
I am sure you will be back on track soon so don't be too disheartened.
Weigh-day tomorrow and I did the fatal thing of having a peep yesterday sad - looks that I will be the same at best but it's my own fault for peeping in-between weigh-days!
Good luck to all of us still around flowers

Panache Sat 28-Jul-18 12:30:47

I am very much around and proud of you all,even though sometimes struggling at least you keep on going ............and that takes great effort in the heat of this summer.

As for myself every three pounds I manage to gain I seem to lose 4........and so my battle continues too,and am at the moment eating even less so avoiding those darn scales!

fourormore Sat 28-Jul-18 16:20:31

Good to hear from you Panache and so sorry to hear that you are in the '3 on 4 off' rut. Why does it have to be so difficult either way hmm

NanKate Sat 28-Jul-18 20:14:10

Thanks Fourormore for promoting our thread. Best of luck with the weigh in.

What a bind Panache hope the cooler weather will encourage your appetite.

Alima Sat 28-Jul-18 21:49:46

Hello dwindling people, it is heartening to read how many of you are achieving success. Would it be ok for me to join the gang? I seem to have got the mantra all wrong and am currently on an onward and upward thing. ‘Tis because I have managed to come off the fags, all I want to do instead is eat. 7lbs extra and counting. Read an intriguing piece about drinking a glass of warm water and eating a banana works wonders at filling you up. Anyone tried it?

NanKate Sat 28-Jul-18 22:20:09

Welcome Alima do come and join us.

Welcome done for stubbing out the ciggies.

I am no expert on dieting but I find these tips such as the banana and water may help for a bit but then it is easy to slip back into one’s normal routine of eating.

I have chosen the NHS Diet plan with a few tweaks of my own. To be honest the first couple of weeks on the diet I found hard but then I think my stomach shrank and I was fine eating less and didn’t feel hungry.

So what I am saying is find the diet that appeals to you most and just go for it.

I will list below the things that helped me. Apologies to anyone who has read my tips before.

Begin to water down all your drinks.
Try 7Up Free with water, just like lemonade and calorie free.
Buy yourself some sugar free sweets M and S ones are nice and eat an occasional one when you want something sweet.
Download the calorie counter from the NHS Diet website.
I counted calories for 2 or three weeks and then basically knew what I could eat and lose weight.
I have 1400 cals a day
Weigh yourself once a week.
Some days I treat myself to a small glass of wine topped up with 7Up Free.
I occasionally take ONE day off from diet.
M and S calorie counted meals are delicious I think they are called Balanced for you.

Hope that gets you started.

NanKate Sat 28-Jul-18 22:21:18

Well done not welcome done ?

fourormore Sun 29-Jul-18 10:58:55

Welcome Alima from me too!
Sunday morning is my weekly stand on the scales morning and as feared I have stayed exactly the same - however it is not a gain!
I understand how this has happened - we have had a very 'bitty' week with visiting friends (and being fed!) hospital appointments (snack lunch in between), celebration lunch yesterday for clever DIL's graduation (Proud MIL alert!) wine and general slowing down where exercise is concerned because of the heat.
Excuses over - this is the start of a new week!
Good luck everyone! flowers

merlotgran Sun 29-Jul-18 11:25:02

Has anyone tried ''Walk at Home' on YouTube?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW9IY48x1bc&t=327s

I use it in conjunction with WeightWatchers online because it's easy to track your activity progress. I haven't made it all the way to the end of the 'mile' yet but I'm nearly there.

DH thinks watching me from his armchair is such fun!!! hmm grin

NanKate Sun 29-Jul-18 11:43:12

Thanks Merlot I will check it out.

TBH if I hadn’t had the support and input from you all I would have been good with my eating plan for about a week and then gone back to my old ways.

It is so lovely seeing that I actually have a waist and ALL my clothes fit. It is a miracle and I am going to keep on with the thread because when I have lost another 5 lbs I then have to go onto maintenance which could be tricky.

Onward and downward girls.

Badenkate Sun 29-Jul-18 11:45:14

Hi everyone. Can I join in as well? I've gone through all the 'sensible' diets there are, lose weight and then slowly put it back on again. Looking at what we eat it's actually pretty reasonable - very similar to Slimming World - but we do like treats, such as cake or some sweets, and I know that my portion sizes are generally too large because I don't have that thing in my head that tells me when I've eaten too much. So I'm cutting down portion sizes, really cutting back on carbs, and looking on this as a long term strategy. I'm really only aiming to loose around 2 to 3 lbs per month - even though I've got about 4 stone to lose - because I want this to be the habitual way that I eat. I also have the disadvantage that I have permanent AF, so I can't do lots of walking - about 2 miles a day is my limit and my total amount of energy for the day gone! However, I've lost about 16lbs since the beginning of the year, so it is working. I'd just like to belong to a group that I can chat about problems with.

NanKate Sun 29-Jul-18 11:52:19

Just checked it out Merlot and it looks really good. I will try and do half a mile later. THANKS. ?‍♀️

NanKate Sun 29-Jul-18 11:59:00

Welcome aboard BadenKate you will find us all a friendly and supportive group. I agree with you that what we are doing needs to be for life, not just a few weeks.