Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

Shirleyw Thu 06-Dec-18 19:03:12

Thanks and That's good nankate, yes, I tend to know what I should and shouldn't have and portion size....control is the key , for me it is anyway...

NanKate Thu 06-Dec-18 20:11:05

I have been good for weeks but tonight I have had a quarter bottle of chilled white wine plus two mint chocs, plus my supper ! Back to normal tomorrow.

Shirleyw Fri 07-Dec-18 04:23:14

Sounds nice though nankate ?☃?

NanKate Fri 07-Dec-18 19:07:15

Yes it was Shirley

fourormore Sun 09-Dec-18 10:04:33

Plus 1lb which I am ok about, as it has been a very sinful week in the social calendar.
I seem to be balancing out sinful days and virtuous days reasonably well so I am hoping that, although I am sure a few pounds will creep on, I won't do too much damage over the next three weeks or so.
Good luck everyone as we enter the worst few weeks of any dieter's calendar! We need to enjoy the season of love and need to love ourselves too. There's always the new year to bump up our intentions grin hmm

merlotgran Sun 09-Dec-18 10:56:47

Haven't lost any weight for three weeks now but managing not to put any back on....so far.

At least there are no more mince pies hanging around from last weekend to tempt me. I've eaten them. grin

NanKate Sun 09-Dec-18 12:06:31

I think staying the same weight is something to celebrate Merlot, but not with food. It's when the weight starts creeping on bit by bit we need to put the brake on.

Shirleyw Wed 12-Dec-18 19:49:19

Staying the same is just fine, shows that we can maintain.....lost half a pound this week......very happy as was away at the weekend....
Like fourormore wrote....going to be a difficult time food wise in the next few weeks....

NfkDumpling Wed 12-Dec-18 20:56:54

I’ve spent years fighting to loose a couple of pounds one month and then putting them back on in one meal out (two starters and one glass of wine would do it). Then last month the doctor put me on statins for high cholesterol - 5.8. They disagreed with me big time so I stopped taking them after a week. But it spurred me into changing my diet and cutting down drastically on fat in my diet. I’m not eating any less, just differently. And I’ve lost four pounds!!

merlotgran Wed 12-Dec-18 21:08:06

I was low carbing for years with up and down results and I have high cholesterol as well. Low fat suits be better. At last I'm managing to keep the weight off.

NanKate Wed 12-Dec-18 22:31:58

I agree it is all about finding the right diet to suit the dieter. For me it is portion control. I have almost everything I want but in much smaller proportions. I have managed to cut down on snacking too.

I often swap items such as one day I will have a pud (half size) and another I will have a glass of wine, some days neither. Nothing is off bounds but I make sensible choices now.

At Xmas I will eat a little extra but this will only last say 2 or 3 days, in the past it would go on for the full 12 days of Xmas ?

Shirleyw Thu 13-Dec-18 06:08:13

Yes, that's it,finding the right eating plan... I do low carb .and definitely portion control for me too....

Billybob4491 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:34:08

Struggling a bit this week, people offering me a mince pie wherever I go - so far resisted, am trying to stick to plan but feel less motivated as Christmas approaches.

fourormore Sun 16-Dec-18 17:13:11

Keep at it folks!
One Christmas dinner down and at this morning's weigh in I had lost a pound! Where's the logic?
We will all struggle - our second Christmas lunch was today - four hours after today's weigh in so I will have to be good through the week hmm
Sadly, our third Christmas dinner is next Saturday - the day before the last weigh in before Christmas sad so fingers crossed!

merlotgran Sun 16-Dec-18 17:43:33

Cheese is my downfall at this time of the year. WeightWatchers seems to think it's the food of the devil.

We went to our village's annual Christmas street market yesterday and as usual the cheese stall had a delicious array. They pack them beautifully in waxed paper so having given in to temptation, my purchases are taunting me from the top shelf of the fridge but undoing the seals would be a SIN.

Will I hold out until Christmas? hmm

NanKate Sun 16-Dec-18 20:33:44

I doubt it Merlot ?

Had a mince pie and brandy cream yesterday.

Tomorrow it is the Keep Fit Xmas lunch. I’m not driving so I can gave a drink or two.

I shall be good from Tuesday till the Big Day. Promise.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-18 10:04:41

Weigh in day and I've lost another 1lb. How the heck did that happen? Maybe mince pies are good for weight loss.

Must make some more! grin

fourormore Mon 17-Dec-18 12:31:53

Wishful thinking Merlot unless you have a special recipe!
If so share it haha gringrin

fourormore Mon 17-Dec-18 12:32:28

Please!!! gringringrin

Shirleyw Mon 17-Dec-18 19:16:39

Well, I batch made mince pies to take to daughters, I had to try the mince pies..i had 4 so had that as a lunch ☃☃?☃☃...went to gd's third birthday....shall say no more....I can't see the scales being agreeable on Wednesday....I'm holding out the best I can.....

NanKate Wed 19-Dec-18 13:43:14

Managing to keep my weight stable even though I had a 3 course Christmas Lunch with the Keep Fit group on Monday. It was delicious, but I didn’t eat all the roast tatties

Billybob4491 Wed 19-Dec-18 15:25:46

Very difficult when eating out Nankate to keep on track, I have been tempted over the last week or so.

Shirleyw Wed 19-Dec-18 16:24:46

Put on 1 pound, happy with that as had a few mince pies and carbs this week....next week no weigh in so next weigh in is 2nd Jan...that should be fun!!!

Billybob4491 Fri 28-Dec-18 15:32:09

The dreaded weigh in today, surprised to find I had lost half a pound, so much temptation this week, oh well press on - Happy New Year everyone.

merlotgran Fri 28-Dec-18 15:36:47

I've put on 2lbs but I'm not surprised given the food and drink consumed over Christmas. Back on the regime today and I already feel much better.

We're on our own over NY so no temptations.

Happy New Year everyone.