Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Thu 29-Aug-19 21:03:40

It’s so important Shirley we keep an eye on our weight it can whizz up so quickly. Have a lovely time with your DGD.

Shirleyw Fri 06-Sep-19 06:47:32

Yes nankate if one is not looking weight can pile on.
I lost one and a half pounds this week. The only thing I picked on were Colin caterpillar sweet with the girls lol.

How is everyone else doing?.....soon be christmas....?
Can't believe how quickly summer has been and gone,

NanKate Fri 06-Sep-19 07:05:08

Hi Shirley it looks like it is only us but I suspect our numbers will increase round Xmas/NewYear.

Well done for losing one and a half pounds. I’m away for a few days so suspect I will need to get back on the bandwagon on our return.

Onward and downward my friend.

fourormore Sun 08-Sep-19 18:45:59

Hi NanKate and Shirleyw - long time no contact!
I have now crawled out from under my stone where I have been hiding since the end of July blush
Too long a story to put on here, but the past few weeks have been stressful to say the least and although I have weighed myself every Sunday morning I have chickened out of confessing to you!
This morning I read your post above and realised that you must be feeling abandoned so here I am hmm
Hopefully having crawled out today I will get back on track so please can I come back into the fold?

NanKate Sun 08-Sep-19 19:32:05

You are so welcome back Fourormore.

I have definitely over-indulged too on this short hols. I have just eaten 3 choc profiteroles plus 3 matchmakers and a sarnie and wine, what a piglet ? I am. Back to the drawing board.

fourormore Sun 08-Sep-19 19:50:01

Thanks NanKate flowers - it is so disheartening as I cannot seem to break out of the 184 - 188lbs region sad. The crazy thing is that some weeks I can be really good and lose next to nothing, then another week have several naughty meals or events and yet gain next to nothing, even losing a little!
Here's to getting back on track as I really should never be over 13 stone. Perhaps it is just a case that I need to gain some height grin and that I'm not overweight but merely undertall???

Shirleyw Fri 13-Sep-19 19:10:35

Great to see you here fourormore....

I have just got back from my final summer break....I dread wednesday weigh day, never weighed last wednesday, was too busy tucking in and having a few too many wines lol....

NanKate Fri 13-Sep-19 19:26:29

Hello Shirley and Four I think the 3 of us are in the same boat. I have just returned from a few days away and ate and drank many extra things, no wonder I feel porkie round the middle. Let’s get back on track together. Onward and downward for the 3 Musketeers. ?

fourormore Sun 15-Sep-19 10:45:57

Onward and 'just a little bit' downward fellow musketeers!
I have been really strict on myself this week knowing that bread especially is my downfall, so I have had absolutely NO bread or biscuits all week. This morning I have lost 0.8lb sad
I know it is a loss but you'd think my body would at least show me some encouragement!
Still I am back on the wagon and with the help and support of you two I will persevere!
Good luck to you both! flowers

fourormore Sun 15-Sep-19 10:55:27

Just received this from another site - the original was a photograph of a poster.
I cannot get it to copy and paste, but it reads ....

Bread is like the sun -
It rises in the Yeast
and sets in the Waist!

How true is that!

humptydumpty Sun 15-Sep-19 12:01:16

I need to join you ladies - should have read this before I started a new thread today about flab round my middle! The thing is I think my BMI may still be in the correct range so it's not just weight loss, I think. Have any of you tried Michael Moseley's fast800 program?

NanKate Sun 15-Sep-19 13:35:10

Welcome HumptyDumpty. We are all on our own Diet plan on this thread. I initially lost weight on the NHS Diet Plan calorie counting. Now I eat what I want but much smaller portions. Portion control works for me.

Shirleyw Mon 16-Sep-19 16:06:27

Bread is like the sun -
It rises in the Yeast
and sets in the Waist!

LOL fourormore, like you say, very true

Hi humptydumpty, i have the book but just flicked through it lol...not actually done it.
I do Slimming world and try go low carb with it which is basically SW SP plan, works for me

Oldandverygrey Mon 16-Sep-19 18:21:50

Hello all, back again after a few weeks grace, have been at target weight for the past 6 weeks, its a struggle but am going to be weighed in this Friday, go to SW, I think its more difficult to maintain weight than actually lose it.

fourormore Sun 22-Sep-19 09:47:18

Well done Oldandverygrey - gosh, it is hard to maintain when you lose well - the urge is to treat yourself and before you know it you are back on the slippery slope - well done!!!

My slippery slope currently looks like a diagram of The Alps with all the ups and downs, but I restarted two weeks ago - lost 0.8lb last week and today have lost 1.4lbs - so a kilo (2.2lb) in two weeks. I'm a bit disappointed but at least if I can average one pound a week it will help!

Good luck to everyone else - fight the good fight!!! flowers

NanKate Sun 22-Sep-19 15:14:18

Well done Fourormore. Imagine 2 lbs of butter and you will realise it’s a solid weight you are no longer carrying about with you.

We went out to a carvery for lunch today. It was delicious but they gave me far too much beef so we have taken it home and will have it with salad and a small jacket potato tomorrow. In the past I would have scoffed the lot and then had a pudding with custard - those were the days ?

Shirleyw Mon 23-Sep-19 10:06:41

Thats great fourormore , well done.

I must go get weighed this Wednesday, i avoided going last weds as had holiday the fortnight before...still not been that good lol....i will have to bite the bullet and go...i shall have to pay for the one i missed last week as i never booked that one off....my fault entirely...shall rwport back weds and shock you all how greedy i have been lol...

NanKate Mon 23-Sep-19 19:58:02

We will be waiting Shirley ?. The good thing about this thread is you will never be told off as we have all been there. The important thing is to keep going and reporting back from time to time.

I’ve just had a sugar free humbug it was delicious.

Shirleyw Wed 25-Sep-19 18:24:46

Oh well...here goes...up 7 and a half pounds (grin)....half a pound less than i thought lol

NanKate Wed 25-Sep-19 18:27:58

That’s life Shirley. I know as you are on this thread you will soon get back on track. Onward and downward. ?

Shirleyw Wed 25-Sep-19 18:29:39

thanks nankate...it sure is life .

goldsworthyc27 Sun 29-Sep-19 13:43:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

fourormore Tue 01-Oct-19 09:51:21

Sorry for late report in - we had 2 x GD for the weekend and were busy to say the least!
Still did my Sunday morning weigh but wish I hadn't! I had been really good all week but only lost 0.4 of a pound!
I did try sourbread during the week out of curiosity - not that impressed to be honest - couldn't really see what the fuss was about.
Bread does seem to go to the scales though so perhaps I can blame that! Anyway - onwards and downwards - good luck to us all!
I am intrigued as to what the deleted post was about grin but we will never know!

Shirleyw Tue 01-Oct-19 15:17:52

I am intrigued as to what the deleted post was about but we will never know!
haha yes me to fourormore...might of been the shock of how i could of put on 7 and a half pounds lol

fourormore Tue 01-Oct-19 17:22:42

Hopefully Shirley that 7.5lbs will be gone as quickly as they arrived - I do hope so as life is so unfair!
Good luck - hang on in there!