Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

NanKate Mon 15-Jul-19 19:26:21

I agree maintaining weight loss can be harder than losing. My only tips are regularly weighing yourself. Being good about what you eat in the week and cut yourself a bit of slack at the weekends. Notice when you start falling back into your old ways of eating. Best of luck.

Oldandverygrey Tue 16-Jul-19 16:22:11

Thank you Nankate, good idea re the weekends. As I had to replace my clothes, imperative I keep to my new weight!

Shirleyw Wed 17-Jul-19 16:10:10

up 1 lb this week....i know why lol... so ok with it...shall lose it next week....

Shirleyw Wed 17-Jul-19 16:10:26

....i hope lol

fourormore Sun 21-Jul-19 11:33:21

Had a naughty week this week - nothing overly sinful except that biscuits have crept in, but it has been a 'bread' week with toasties for lunches. For some reason bread always blows it for me so I was dreading the scales this morning.
However I was relieved that I had only put on 1.8lbs.
Bad, Bad, Bad but could have been a lot worse.
The door of the bread bin has an electric fence around it from now on and the biscuit box banished!
Good luck everyone! flowers

Oldandverygrey Sun 21-Jul-19 16:39:36

Fourormore I feel your pain! Bread also for me is my biggest downfall, sometimes I can't resist. Not eaten biscuits, cake or sweets since last year, don't miss them either, but bread now that's another matter!

fourormore Sun 21-Jul-19 16:51:13

Thank you Oldandverygrey for your encouragement.
Day to day rubbishy white bread I can ignore without pain - it's when it is beautiful freshly baked bread with grains and seeds etc.!!!
Why is it that one slice is never enough as well - and why, when you are really disciplined and hard on yourself the weight loss is minimal, but a little bit of naughtiness is punished big time! It's really not fair!
Onward and downwards for us both!

fourormore Sun 28-Jul-19 11:53:09

After falling well and truly off the wagon due my holiday I am hoping that I am now back on track, having lost 2.6lbs this week.
The biscuits have not appeared all week and no bread at all either.
Today is 'Sinday' so there will be a little bit of chocolate this evening but Monday to Saturday will be strict again this week!
Oldandverygrey I don't know whether you are aware of my system which, on the whole, seems to work for me? I can be really good six days out of seven but as I always weigh on Sunday mornings, Sunday then becomes 'Sinday' when I do treat myself to possibly a pudding, a slice of cake or chocolate, as I know I could never live with never ever having those treats! By keeping it to Sinday I find I can behave better through the week!
We all have our own ways of doing things though so I'm not saying it would definitely work for you.
Where was everyone else this week?
Good luck everyone as we start a new week flowersflowers

Oldandverygrey Sun 28-Jul-19 14:59:03

Four - that sounds a good system, after my weigh in on Fridays I come home and have a choc ice! strange thing is I don't particularly like ice cream so why do I do it!!! Also why is it the day before weigh in I could eat the entire contents of the fridge?

Hope everyone gets on ok this week.

Shirleyw Sun 28-Jul-19 20:29:52

Better come clean, when weighed last Wednesday was 2 lb on, couldn't seem to get to grips after my holiday, I hope to lose when I go Wednesday, been fairly sensible this week .

NanKate Mon 29-Jul-19 07:34:15

Hello girls I am back from holiday and am UP 1.6 lbs. I have to say the rum and raisin ice-cream was almost worth the weight increase ?

What I have noticed none of us are putting on vast amounts just a pound or so and we get ourselves back on track pretty quickly.

What a great band of losers we are. ?

Shirleyw Wed 31-Jul-19 20:39:59

Lost 1lb....better than nothing , was expecting at least a couple off....

fourormore Thu 01-Aug-19 18:08:31

Well done Shirley - a pound is a pound!!! flowers

Whiff Mon 05-Aug-19 09:54:39

Shirleyw. I am happy if I only lose quarter of a pound a week. Started my diet April 2017. Realised its a marathon not a sprint. Lost 7st 8.25lbs only 8 to go. I was 19st 2.25lbs now 11st 8lb. Was a 32 now 16. I'm 61. I have found exercise helps I do 30 mins a day. If I do put on the most it is 1lb don't beat myself up about it and just carry on weighing everything and counting calories. Years ago I would have give up but made my mind up my weight had to be tackled so I glad I did.
Good luck with everyone's weight loss.

Shirleyw Mon 05-Aug-19 19:38:10

Thats terrific whiff, bet you feel great? what fitness do you do?

Whiff Tue 06-Aug-19 09:13:39

Shirleyw. In January 2018 I joined a community fit club for the over 50s run by Age UK it was a 12 week course. It was free. 2hrs the first hour we talked about nutrition and health and exercised for hour. At lot of us had health problems and the instructor was brilliant and tailored them to what we could do. I have balance problems so I do the leg exercises holding on to the back of a chair and sit down for the arm ones. When everyone else did the floor ones she adapted them so I could do them on a chair. After the 12 weeks Age UK gave her a small grant but it ran out in August last year. I was very nervous about going as I hadn't exercised for 40years. But I loved it. After 2 weeks I started doing them for 10mins and day and gradually built it up to the 30mins I do know. Age UK run these course all over the country . I always march on the spot of 3 mins as a warm up. Before I start doing a combination stretches and things like half jacks,knee lifts,kick backs,box step,hip wiggle etc. I use 2 500g dumbbells and a yellow resistance band. I was 15st 7lbs when I started exercising. I have found they have helped with the weight loss and my balance has improved and strengthen my arms. Still walk with a stick but not so wobbly. Hope that helps.

NanKate Tue 06-Aug-19 17:43:30

Whiff respect big time. Thanks for joining us. ?

Shirleyw Wed 07-Aug-19 18:48:03

That's great whiff ??⛹???⛷?

Lost 2 lbs this week.

Francis Fri 09-Aug-19 11:56:05

I have a hour glass shape and embrace it everyday smile

NanKate Sat 10-Aug-19 21:15:49

Who else embraces it Frances, just asking ?

NanKate Sat 10-Aug-19 21:16:39

Sorry Francis not Frances

Shirleyw Thu 22-Aug-19 19:59:01

After gaining an expected 2 lbs pounds last week lost 1 and a half this week so all good . How is everyone else doing?

NanKate Sun 25-Aug-19 21:59:48

Hi Shirley good news for you.

Just had my 2 DGSs for a week and I have been over indulgent such as snaffling their chips ?. Promise I will weigh myself and tell you how much I have to lose.

NanKate Mon 26-Aug-19 07:49:54

Just weighed myself and up half a pound so not much of a problem. Mustn’t get complacent though.

Shirleyw Thu 29-Aug-19 20:35:38

That's nice nankate having your dgss for a week, one and a half isn't bad at all, that will soon come off.
We have our dgd for the weekend so we shall see how I get on with the scales next week lol....
I stayed the same this week.