Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear !

(996 Posts)
NanKate Tue 08-May-18 16:04:23

I have returned to my own healthy eating plan as I need to lose a stone. I am pear shaped with a small bust, reasonable waist and overlarge hips.

On reading the ever sensible Dr Scurr in the DM this morning I discovered a healthy waist size is 31 ins for women and 37 ins for men. I rather smugly measured myself expecting a pat on the back only to find I am 5 ins over the recommended size ?

Onward and upward or preferably downward.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Jun-18 20:06:22

I’m a pear !

It has always puzzled me what shape I could be but I've finally decided that I am a well-rounded butternut squash. sad

I am trying very hard but, after spending some time at a school event this afternoon, have succumbed to a couple of glasses of wine this evening.

My food intake was fairly good up until then.

NanKate Fri 08-Jun-18 20:35:59

Well it is almost the weekend Jalima so a couple of glasses of wine are the order of the day. I had a lovely chilled Bacardi and half a coke, delicious.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Jun-18 20:38:51

Thanks NanKate
I will leave the rest of the wine for tomorrow smile

ps the weekend starts on Friday night!

Overthehills Fri 08-Jun-18 21:34:14

Good luck Jalima but just remember Maw’s advice - calories aren’t everything, there’s more to life!

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Jun-18 12:22:25

DH seems to have lost half a stone - doing nothing different to me.

Teetime Sat 09-Jun-18 15:08:20

Back on it 3lbs off this week - doing low carbs I think!!!

NanKate Sat 09-Jun-18 15:36:00

Well done Teetime 3lbs is mega. ?

Cherrytree59 Sat 09-Jun-18 16:45:35

Well done Teetime ?

Panache Sat 09-Jun-18 16:51:41

AND I have LOST some 7/8 pounds would you believe.............whom ever said life is fair was lying!!!!

I am fading................

NanKate Sat 09-Jun-18 19:47:38

It must be so difficult for you Panache and I know you try hard to keep the weight on.

Overthehills Sat 09-Jun-18 20:11:03

Sorry Panache sad
Well done Teetime

fourormore Sun 10-Jun-18 12:23:18

I feel so for Panache - it must be difficult when so many of us are complaining about putting on weight when she would give anything to do so. Bless you Panache flowers
My Sunday morning weigh-in showed a loss of half a pound which is amazing as I am still in limbo with DH's collapse and pending test results and haven't tried at all this week - again unfair on all those trying hard - sorry!
As long as we all remember what Maw and I have said - yes we all need encouragement to lose or increase our weight but life is too short for it to take over and, unless our weight problem is life-threatening there are more important things to worry about!
Good luck to everyone - whichever way you want to go! flowers

NanKate Sun 10-Jun-18 12:36:47

Well said Fourormore.

Well done for weight loss even though your DH is ill, I do hope he recovers soon.

This thread is turning out to be far more than just a weight loss thread and I feel it has been enhanced by us talking about all the ups and downs in our lives.

Onward and downward girls.

Overthehills Sun 10-Jun-18 22:26:38

Well said Fourormore. I hope your DH is soon on the mend.

Cherrytree59 Mon 11-Jun-18 19:34:18

Well done Fourormore
Wishing your DH wellflowers

Managed one pound loss
It's slow progress but steady.

A short holiday this week some GN willpower required.
It will be 2 weeks before my next S/W weigh
- in.

Upwards or downwards sunshine

JaneD3 Fri 15-Jun-18 07:49:24

Huzzah! Lost the holiday 10lbs (in 10 days!) plus, so now lost 11lbs overall since joining you. I am back to losing 3 stones since I left work too so a bit smug. I think I said 20lbs before the wedding would be good, so another 9 to go. It is all so up and down! Wish I could send you some Panache but you will have to make do with a hug.

Panache Fri 15-Jun-18 10:09:46

Thanks for your kind understanding dear GN`s and I will settle for that hug JANE

Great going folks, and whether you win or loose those few pounds, the main thing is you are still very much alive and have the world yet to conquer!!!

Keep up the good work,perseverance and patience are needed...............then its Upwards and DOWNWARDS!!

NanKate Fri 15-Jun-18 17:27:55

Well done JaneD3. We look forward to you being svelte for the wedding.

I am sure this thread and all the support for each others' ups and downs have helped many of us keep going.

I have been to relatives for a 4 days of eating what I like but am back on track today - a nice mackerel salad and 3 small new potatoes for supper.

NanKate Sat 16-Jun-18 15:41:52

Thinking caps on ladies please.

Can anyone recommend a calorie controlled cooking spray that doesn't come out as white paste ?

Jalima1108 Sat 16-Jun-18 15:55:33

Yes, I'll go and have a look at the one I bought the other day - it doesn't come out as fine as some though.

It's called Sizzola, this one is rapeseed oil but I think there were sunflower and olive oils as well.
I think I bought it in Morrison's.

NanKate Sat 16-Jun-18 19:54:32

Thanks Jalima

NanKate Sun 17-Jun-18 19:31:15

There are some rather nice looking recipes in the paper today. Unfortunately Weight Watchers do not give a calorie count just SmartPoints, I'm well and truly miffed. ☹️

NanKate Wed 20-Jun-18 08:57:38

Now where has everyone gone ?

Still battling away but have lost a couple of pounds. My trousers now fit and DH said I was looking trimmer. I have got used to eating less and intend to try and get within the right weight band for my age and height.

How are you folks doing ?

MawBroon Wed 20-Jun-18 08:59:42

Hmm. It all seems to have ground to a halt here.
Those pesky pounds are far harder to lose than to find.

merlotgran Wed 20-Jun-18 09:19:47

I've finally lost another 1lb after stalling. That's a total of 9lbs in six weeks. I didn't think Weight Watchers would work for me but it keeps me organised about choosing recipes and cooking meals. Doing it online means there are no meetings to attend which wouldn't appeal.