Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

What aerobic/toning exercise do you regularly keep up with?

(98 Posts)
Shirleyw Tue 08-May-18 17:48:13

Just wondered what keeps you all trim.....

goldengirl Wed 09-May-18 15:46:48

Pilates once a week and swimming whenever I can. I do breaststroke one way and backstroke the other and it helps my mobility enormously. Unfortunately I've been told it would be unwise to cycle because of balance problems and everywhere around here is rather busy! I got a static bike but I can't life my leg over to get on it!!!!!

Liz46 Wed 09-May-18 16:10:41

Thank you for the links Vickya although the second one does look a bit more possible for me! I have been ill and find now that I am unable to balance on one leg. Maybe Tai Chi will help.

garnet25 Wed 09-May-18 16:37:13

Swimming, yoga, gym including stretching, weights and running, plus my 3 year old GD!

Fitter now at 71 that I was at 55.

Shirleyw Wed 09-May-18 16:49:16

Thanks guys for your response, very motivational. I walk a lot, I try to average 12,000 steps daily, it's good in the week and have got to 14.000 plus but weekends I need to push myself. Started up ....again....the c25k now the weather has improved. I am desperate to get rid of muffin top though, I used to do Pilates but due to change of rota I stopped, that kept my muffin top under control but it has miraculously reappeared ????????????.....any suggestions much appreciated.....

Shirleyw Wed 09-May-18 16:51:32

............I did do stretch and relax classes but the room was too small and hot and they crammed too many people in with their mats that when stretched out you invariably tapped a person, so didn't go back

lizzypopbottle Wed 09-May-18 17:06:20

Liz46 Lack of exercise leads to loss of muscle mass which leads to loss of strength and balance which leads to falls. You can regain balance by first using the back of a chair. Stand tall behind the chair and look straight ahead, place both hands on the back of it, lift one leg, let go of the chair, count how long you can stand before gripping the chair back and lowering your foot, do the other leg, practise every day, try to extend the time. When you are confident, try closing your eyes. Small steps. Soon you won't need the chair.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 09-May-18 17:11:07

Anniebach, a gentle walk will strengthen the muscles of your legs, as will stepping on and off a step as many times as you feel able to. If you don't have the common problem of our age group: sore knees then walking up and down stairs is really good exercise.

Squeezing a ball of wool or string, or a soft cloth ball helps arm muscles, as does sitting at a table doing finger exercises on the table of the sort used when learning to play the piano, or type using all ten fingers. Typing exercises can of course be done on the computer too.

Sillyoldfool Wed 09-May-18 17:35:32

I am lucky enough to have a lovely horse who I ride most days and my big dog to walk daily. My husband and I have started to learn ballroom dancing which is a lot more energetic than we thought! At 70 I am grateful I can still do these things.

Marianne1953 Wed 09-May-18 17:45:52

Nothing and I walk 50/60 miles per week and I am still fat. My fruit & Vegetable intake is above average and rarely have takeaways. I’ve now pulled a groin muscle and can’t to anything. Very depressing.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 17:49:14

Any suggestions which doesn’t involve getting down on the floor please ?
I know that some yoga exercises involve getting down on the floor Anniebach, but not all, and in fact we were taught some this morning that can be done sitting on a hard-backed chair.
Yoga can be gentle but does strengthen your body and improve your muscle tone.

Some examples - all to be done slowly and smoothly:
www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/116249234104335433/

Lilyflower Wed 09-May-18 18:10:22

I am determined not to pay for my fitness regime so have joined nothing, not a class nor a gym.

Instead I use the housework in the morning as my workout and I run up and down stairs as I do it. Then I go for a long walk in the afternoon.

I have a Fitbit which tells me when I have reached my 10,000 steps but I usually do far more. I try to keep agile and active.

charjoy Wed 09-May-18 18:27:05

Gardening and walking to get the newspaper each day. Determination to keep active rather than sitting and taking the easy way out.
Also never sitting too long except in the evenings.

mostlyharmless Wed 09-May-18 18:37:52

annie Tai Chi is pretty gentle and doesn’t involve getting down on the floor. (I wouldn’t be able to get up again - or at least not in a dignified way!) It’s mainly arm movements and gentle bends and stretches. It makes you feel good too somehow. See vickya’s links above.

Kim19 Wed 09-May-18 19:07:21

Barbiebell, apologies for slow reply. Been out all day. 8:16 for me is eating whatever I like - no holds barred - for 8 hours an then total abstinence for the remaining 16. I first heard about it here on GN via Jane 10. At first I probably over indulged and bulked up for fear of the 16. Totally unnecessary for me and I've calmed down. I have lost a steady 1lb per week for a while now. There's nothing I do not eat if I want to. I often think that too much too soon causes unnecessary stress. However, I'm no expert. Far from it. Happily this method has worked well for me. Good luck with whatever does similar for you.

LynneB59 Wed 09-May-18 19:15:55

You could try Zumba. Some places offer Zumba "Gold" classes, which are suitable for new starters or anyone who has not done exercise for a while.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:24:40

I wouldn’t be able to get up again - or at least not in a dignified way!
grin mostlyharmless I did wonder when I was getting up from the floor at yoga today if the woman behind me had an unedifying view of my backside blush

mostlyharmless Wed 09-May-18 19:29:34

? Jalima!

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:32:58

Resolved to turn with my backside to the wall next time!!

vickya Wed 09-May-18 19:38:56

Annie and Liz I was never able to stand on one leg, even before my arthritis, but can do so at times now as part of the form. I do some preliminary loosening things daily too. Neck, arms, rope arms (google for it)

Jalima1108 Wed 09-May-18 19:41:02

Ah! Use dumbbells?
I gave mine to DIL.

Day6 Wed 09-May-18 19:56:00

If possible find some slopes to walk up and down.

Lizzypopbottle good advice and strangely I decided (under the cover of darkness) to walk to the local shop to get milk last night. It's very hilly around here and the shop was about 15 minutes walk away but I decided it would be my exercise.

On the first very steep and long slope there my breathing was very heavy, but I went with it, then there was a massive downhill slope so I recovered slightly but was still breathing heavily. I feigned interest in dog biscuits on the nearest shelf once in the shop, just to get my breath back and recover. I don't have a dog!

I bought milk and a few other bits and pieces, stupidly, because they weighed my bag down.

I set off for home up the massive slope and I am so glad it as dark so my read sweaty face couldn't be seen as I tackled the hill. I was huffing and puffing loudly and was glad I had the pavement to myself. Anyone looking out of their windows would have witnessed my struggle. A young man who passed in the other direction did stare at me for longer than was necessary I thought but I was making such a racket that he probably wondered if I needed an ambulance!
There was the downhill slope again, so I recovered slightly and stopped and pretended to be engrossed in my phone until I got my breath back. There was a last small and even steeper hill up to my front door and by the time I got there I was shattered. It was like something from a boot-camp for the Biggest Losers. I was praying my neighbours wouldn't be outside for any reason. They weren't thankfully.

I was sweating like a ....sweaty old woman...when I got in and my face was red and wet. I am SO unfit I realised. I had to stand in the back garden for ten minutes to cool off.

Now I am wondering as dusk approaches if I should go out again and climb those hills? My intention is to do it every night (in darkness) because I am so embarrassed at my lack of hill walking prowess. I figure that after a few weeks I will get some fitness back. I used to walk everywhere but became overweight because of illness and medication over a long period of time.

I am looking at my trainers. I will be disappointed in myself if I make excuses not to go. I shall inspect firelighters and pegs in the shop tonight as I recover. I noticed they are near the door of the shop. grin My children were worried I took myself out in the dark, but I'll have my phone with me. I am not sure that even a mad axeman out on the prowl in our neighbourhood would find me tempting as I huff and puff up the hills. hmm

lovingit Wed 09-May-18 21:09:59

On a good day it's a long walk with the dog,20 lengths of swimming and after mucking out and grooming a ride out before filling nets and water buckets for my horse.On a bad day the swimming and riding get skipped but I'm stuck with the others!

bikergran Wed 09-May-18 21:37:45

Gosh! you lot make me feel exhausted reading about your goings on lol...Im off for a lie down now..but will consider upping my fitness.

I did buy a second hand pedal bike last year, but only went along the canal and round the block hmm thought I was going to collapse .

You have all given me motivation now wheres that cycle pump..! smile

Kim19 Wed 09-May-18 21:43:34

Day6, I admire your attempt and honesty. I remember similar sensations well. Each day mine got easier (a little. Not to be exaggerated). Now I can almost run in both directions but I never carry any weighty items. Think in the dark is a good idea if it suits your comfort zone especially now that we have the better weather. Here's hoping you'll be doing it in daylight before the short nights return. Good luck.

Legs55 Wed 09-May-18 22:54:06

I've never been one for exercise although I did used to walk miles, sadly I can no longer walk far without pain. However I do walk to my local shop a few times a week & try to go without my stick, there is a short,steep slope on the way. I'm improving slowly.

I started Plates in the New Year (new class started not NYR), I do struggle to get onto the floor, turn over & get up but I manage slowly. I feel some improvement, very slow but I feel it's worth persevering. I try to be active in the garden but have to have frequent breaks but every little helps.