Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Low-carb support thread 4 for 2018

(115 Posts)
Mamie Wed 27-Jun-18 14:01:47

By popular request, here is thread 4.
Link to last thread here www.gransnet.com/forums/dieting_and_exercise/1241649-Low-carb-support-thread-number-three-2017?pg=5
We aim to support people interested in this way of eating - welcome to all. ?

Lazigirl Mon 01-Oct-18 20:33:20

I know others who have been told they are pre diabetic and shrugged it off BB but it is obviously worrying for you because she is your D. It's difficult to influence if she and OH not motivated enough but hope your encouragement helps, particularly as you've done so well and are a good role model. smile Perhaps you can give her some ideas of quick delicious LC meals to kick start, or supply some for freezer? Yes hope you are doing ok Mamie. How much longer til plaster off?

Mamie Thu 01-Nov-18 09:45:11

Morning all and sorry for long silence. Plaster has been off for three weeks and am now hobbling on crutches. I am having twice weekly physio and still finding it all pretty hard going. OH is doing all the cooking, we have pretty much stuck to low carb though I have felt the need to have potatoes and pasta more than usual. On the other hand I still don't fancy any alcohol!
Hope things are going well for you with DD BB.

BBbevan Thu 01-Nov-18 10:30:05

Glad to hear you are improving Mamie. DD is doing well and has lost nearly half a stone. She is hampered by SiL who eats Meat and minimum veg. Plus cake!!!

Buffybee Thu 01-Nov-18 13:20:12

Hi, Can I join you all?
Due to a couple of stressful events this year, I have piled on the weight again, comfort eating. It's not the amount that I eat which is the problem but my sweet tooth.
I was recommended the Zoe Harcombe diet, which is all about getting sugar out of your system and eating natural, wholesome food.
I started a week ago and this Monday was my weigh in day and I had only lost half a pound, the book did say that a loss of 7lb was not unusual in the first week, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but I am carrying on undetered.
I will read through the thread to pick up much needed advice.

Mamie Thu 01-Nov-18 14:39:13

Welcome Buffybee. Have a read of the thread and maybe the Diet Doctor stuff and feel free to ask away. ?

Buffybee Thu 01-Nov-18 14:52:07

Thanks Mamie, it's good to have support and advise.
Onwards and upwards, as they say!
Oops, should that be onwards and downwards maybe?

Lazigirl Thu 01-Nov-18 16:17:21

Good you’ve lost the plaster Mamie, but it’s hard work rehabilitating muscles, especially dare I say, when you are older sad. No wonder you feel like a carb boost now & then. At least you’re getting physio twice a week - wouldn’t get that here! Welcome Buffybee. This is a great place to come to for inspiration & support. If you cut down sugar intake you find you have less of a sweet tooth after a while. Just takes a bit of time. I find bread & potatoes the thing to avoid unless special occasion. Just looking at them makes me put on weight smile

Mamie Thu 01-Nov-18 17:26:59

Thanks Lazigirl it is indeed hard going. The house is a nightmare of steps and levels too. ?

Granny1sland Thu 01-Nov-18 19:37:43

Welcome to newbies! I am still plodding along slowly on Lchf, try to keep my calories low too. Weight loss is so slow now I am in my seventies. Been up and down this summer, but have lost nine pounds, so it does work.

Mamie Fri 02-Nov-18 15:33:27

Well today I was able to stand on two feet long enough to make an omelette for lunch. ? Dinner will be chicken with marsala, mushrooms and cream and cauliflower mash.

Fennel Fri 02-Nov-18 15:50:30

Sorry to read of your accident , Mamie. I'd noticed you weren't posting so much. Take it slowly, set yourself short term targets ( says she, who has had a few falls.)
We aren't so much on a low carb. diet, as a high fibre diet. due to various medical problems.
But it seems to work out similar in the end.
eg we eat a lot of bread, but only 100% wholemeal ( which is difficult to find in France.)
And a lot of pulses and Med. veg.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mamie Fri 02-Nov-18 16:33:14

Thanks Fennel. I had no idea that a broken ankle would be so disruptive, but as you will remember from your own experiences here, the medical care has been amazing with daily visits from district nurses for the first weeks, a long prescription for physio and tons of helpful equipment.
We do eat a small amount of bread and OH makes it with organic spelt flour.
Hope you are settling back to life in the UK now..
Sorry for thread derail, low-carbers. ?

Riverwalk Tue 01-Jan-19 08:45:21

I'm sorry about your ankle Mamie - hope you've recovered by now and fit enough to start a new thread for 2019.

I seriously need to get back on the low-carb wagon!

BBbevan Tue 01-Jan-19 09:50:30

Happy New Year everyone.