Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Prince Harry and a vegan diet.

(108 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 29-Jul-18 19:18:48

According to Jilly Cooper, writing in the Mail on Sunday - so it must be true, Meghan put Harry on a clean eating regime in the run up to their wedding and he now follows a mostly vegan diet.

Nothing wrong with that but it had me thinking back to their engagement interview when he talked about proposing while cooking roast chicken.

I do hope he enjoyed it! grin

paddyann Sun 29-Jul-18 20:48:06

Now I've never understood putting another adult on a diet...surely it has to be their choice ,neither do I understand marrying someone if they aren't all you want them to be...the Ailse ,Altar ,Hymn brigade as my minister friend calls them.(I'll alter him) .Not sure any marriage can work if you aren't happy with how someone looks,eats,behaves before you say I do !

Jalima1108 Sun 29-Jul-18 20:55:45

I suppose if you try the Aisle, Altar, Hymn method in the first few weeks it could work (the first flush of married bliss!) but after that, no chance
grin

merlotgran Sun 29-Jul-18 22:15:14

I wonder if Megan has appointed a vegan chef? She's matey with Stella McCartney who must know a few.

stella1949 Mon 30-Jul-18 00:45:30

I thought he was looking very thin at the wedding. And if she lost any more weight she'd disappear completely.

Magrithea Mon 30-Jul-18 10:06:44

My DS is eating a more and more vegetarian diet as his girlfriend is veggie. As they cook together (though living with us at the mo while house purchase goes through) it makes sense. He did have roast beef for lunch yesterday though!

grandMattie Mon 30-Jul-18 10:14:10

Goodness! I don't see the advantage of veganism, unless you are really into animal rights etc. Are plastics better for shoes and belts? Handbags???? My opinon is to eat some meat, but make sure it is ethically produced. And moderation in all things!

merlotgran Mon 30-Jul-18 10:21:00

I wonder if Camilla approves. She's patron of the National Osteoperosis Society. Don't vegans have to take lots of vitamin supplements?

Lilyflower Mon 30-Jul-18 10:38:00

Vegans. Tch!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 30-Jul-18 10:42:38

Stella1949.Agree.Unless they had a health problem and been advised by a professional to have a special diet I would never subject my partner to my eating preferences and on what they should or should not eat. I feel Meghan has an eating issue herself. Looking at how 'skinny' she now appears, and at past photographs of her life when never appearing as thin.as she does now. then I am inclined to feel sorry for Harry after all the years he has been looking for 'lurve' to be subjected to this food 'control' his wife appears to be subjecting him to.

PernillaVanilla Mon 30-Jul-18 11:03:06

The charity VFL was set up to help older vegetarians and vegans and if you look at their website a lot of the myths about veganism are dispelled. Apart from ensuring you have a good supply of B12 - which you can do by sprinkling yeast flakes on food in the same way you might cheese - it is very easy to get good nutrition from eating vegan, and many sports people are changing to it. A vegan diet is kinder to animals and kinder to the planet.
Of course no one should force their preferences on their partner or family but now that vegan cookery has become so creative and has so many choices in many cases family members at least reduce meat to take advantage of this.
Sadly, because veganism has become so fashionable there are people like Meghan who espouse it with one breath and then go home and roast a chicken. Nothing wrong with meat reduction, they should just be honest.

Jane43 Mon 30-Jul-18 11:07:08

If it is true and she has imposed her views on eating on Harry then it is possibly a means of control so perhaps she feels she has little control over her new life in the royal family and is trying to exercise some control. Meghan’s legs are looking very thin, as if they would easily break, the very high shoes don’t help. Kate is also much thinner than she used to be but she does look healthier and seems to do a lot of sport.

catta5 Mon 30-Jul-18 11:12:29

Wonder if they are giving up the handmade leather shoes and bags etc.also be nice to hear them saying they are still on the diet and as they have their own chefs no problems or the cost as has been mentioned everyone s own choice

LJP1 Mon 30-Jul-18 11:16:55

Vegan diets tend to lead to lack of iron (anaemia) and lack of B 12 (pernicious anaemia) so it does need to be carefully thought through. These nutrient are particularly important to babies (no iron in milk so the transition to solids must provide) and children for normal growth.

suzied Mon 30-Jul-18 11:18:24

Has anyone thought maybe Harry has some say in what he eats? Rather than slagging off Meghan he may want to give vegan foods a try, or just cut down on meat and dairy, who knows? Veganism can be perfectly healthy, you don't need supplements as many of the non dairy equivalents (e.g. almond milk) are fortified the same as dairy products are. Each to their own. I can't believe people can get concerned about this.

JenniferEccles Mon 30-Jul-18 11:47:33

My feeling is that as far as Harry is concerned, Meghan can do no wrong. The word 'besotted' comes to mind.

Therefore he would probably go along with whatever crazy eating regime she came up with.

Anniebach Mon 30-Jul-18 11:52:12

I think the same Jennifer q

grannytotwins Mon 30-Jul-18 11:57:37

I doubt that either of them are following a vegan lifestyle. It would be almost impossible with their duties abroad. I’m sure that Harry does what he wants and if he slimmed down for his wedding, it was his choice. Why do so many make assumptions about this couple with no proof?

Rocknroll5me Mon 30-Jul-18 12:10:45

good for her good for him. and more and more are flexitarians now for the good of animal welfare and the planet let alone their health.

Anniebach Mon 30-Jul-18 12:40:45

Why is it good for the planet?

sunseeker Mon 30-Jul-18 12:47:28

And we know this to be true how? Personally I have zero interest in other peoples eating habits

merlotgran Mon 30-Jul-18 12:49:08

I don't see any 'slagging off' on this thread and I also can't see any harm in discussing something that's been reported in the public domain.

I'm not concerned, just curious.

suzied Mon 30-Jul-18 13:06:58

Veganism is good for the planet - "Eating a vegan diet could be the “single biggest way” to reduce your environmental impact on earth, a new study suggests.
Researchers at the University of Oxford found that cutting meat and dairy products from your diet could reduce an individual's carbon footprint by up to 73 per cent.
Meanwhile, if everyone stopped eating these foods, they found that global farmland use could be reduced by 75 per cent, an area equivalent to the size of the US, China, Australia and the EU combined.
Not only would this result in a significant drop in greenhouse gas emissions, it would also free up wild land lost to agriculture, one of the primary causes for mass wildlife extinction.
The findings reveal that meat and dairy production is responsible for 60 per cent of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions, while the products themselves providing just 18 per cent of calories and 37 per cent of protein levels around the world"

merlotgran Mon 30-Jul-18 13:21:59

UK meat and dairy production has been championed by the royal family for a very long time. Prince Charles, in particular has done a lot support organic farming and rural industries.

Harry is a senior royal and will no doubt be called upon to deputise for his father as they all go up a gear due to the Queen's age. Will he refuse to open an agricultural show for example?

Hm999 Mon 30-Jul-18 13:35:12

If anyone is shifting to a more plant-based diet, it does not mean they have become a vegan.
IMO in general men don't in general think as much about how healthy their diet is, as women do. I expect lots of folk think more about eating better once they are cooking for a family, so maybe MAYBE married men eat more healthily than single men