Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Exercises to improve stability and balance

(29 Posts)
adampaul Wed 29-Aug-18 10:55:21

Hey guys,
Does anyone have exercises to help with balance and stability?

PernillaVanilla Wed 29-Aug-18 11:05:37

Yoga classes are the way to go. I had a dodgy ankle that was constantly turning over, after a year of yoga I can wear heels again and it is totally stable. All of the postures help with core strength which is key to balance and stability. The postures that involve standing on one leg are good for strength too. You can do yoga at all levels, there is one class at our leisure centre that is very geared to older people with specific poses for helping knees and hips that are problematic. A good Hatha class with an understanding teacher is probably the best start.

Teetime Wed 29-Aug-18 13:45:15

Zumba Gold helped me but am now going to try Pilates as the former is not available at the moment.

OldMeg Wed 29-Aug-18 14:45:56

Have at click on These exercises to improve balance from the NHS website

Liz46 Wed 29-Aug-18 15:16:51

Thank you OldMeg. I have printed these. I'm on some horrible pills that are affecting my balance a bit.

Greyduster Wed 29-Aug-18 15:28:50

I have also downloaded these OldMeg. Thanks.

M0nica Wed 29-Aug-18 15:35:06

Pilates & Tai Chi and lots of walking.

M0nica Wed 29-Aug-18 15:36:09

Pilates, Tai Chi and lots of walking.

OldMeg Wed 29-Aug-18 15:52:36

??

chelseababy Wed 29-Aug-18 15:59:17

I go to pilates but have real problems with the balance exercises at the start so I'll try these. Isn't poor balance an indicator of ageing?

Blinko Wed 29-Aug-18 16:06:53

Poor balance can also be an indicator of a herniated disc and damaged sciatic nerve...

trisher Wed 29-Aug-18 16:25:12

Tai Chi.

Iam64 Wed 29-Aug-18 17:20:26

yoga, pilates, tai chi -

goldengirl Wed 29-Aug-18 19:54:18

I attend a Pilates class that deals with injuries and balance. My balance since I had a fall has been very dodgy. I now stand on what I can only describe as a 'half ball' ie a firm base with a slightly squidgy curved top and do heel/toe movements whilst holding on to a rail like grim death. The instructor stands next to me in case I need to grab her. At first I felt very dizzy afterwards but slowly I'm getting used to it. It's not particularly pleasant BUT I am beginning to feel more confident in walking - and I'm determined to keep doing it until I can eventually go down steps. Our class only has a maximum of 6 clients each with our own problems and are given individual exercises according to our needs. It's a wonderfully supportive group but it gets me that an 84 year old can do this exercise easily whilst I struggle!!!! It makes me even more determined grin

Melanieeastanglia Wed 29-Aug-18 21:16:45

I also think yoga, pilates or tai chi.

DoraMarr Wed 29-Aug-18 22:08:45

I had such bad balance I kept falling over. I had lots of investigations, including a brain scan, and they couldn’t find anything wrong, so I have what is termed “benign positional vertigo.” I took up Tai Chi and my balance , posture and confidence have all improved so much.

Richa94 Thu 30-Aug-18 08:37:35

There is no better way than yoga to improve balance and stability. The thing that makes yoga different from other exercises is that it helps in keeping the mind still which is the most important thing in improving stability and balance.

Nandalot Thu 30-Aug-18 09:32:23

Thank you. Have downloaded these, I do yoga but cannot do the balance poses without holding onto a wall. My balance has always been poor and can trip over a pea!

Parklife1 Sun 09-Sep-18 20:32:47

Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, HIIT

PamelaJ1 Mon 10-Sep-18 08:58:22

As has been said on GN before- just practice standing on one leg. I do it when I’m cleaning my teeth. If you find it difficult then you can lightly rest a finger on the sink.
PS. I do use an electric toothbrush .

wildswan16 Mon 10-Sep-18 09:14:10

Of course yoga etc will help a great deal. But I agree with pamela that everyday changes help almost as much. I stand on one leg whenever I get the chance - teeth cleaning, waiting for the kettle or microwave, even while washing up! I also lift both heels very slightly off the floor while waiting for the bus or in a queue so the weight is just on the balls of your feet.

I also try to remember to stand up straight - it's so easy to slouch without realising it and all those muscles in your trunk get "saggy".

I hope that thinking about these things as I age will make sure that my muscles are in as good shape as possible should medical/skeletal problems arise later on.

MiniMoon Mon 10-Sep-18 09:21:11

If you have a smart TV this 15 minute workout for seniors is good. I've been doing them in my living room. DH caught me one day and laughed at me. I don't mind, I think it's doing me good. I used 2 cans of baked beans instead of the dumbbells.
youtu.be/K727ao6Kjr4

margaretrodriguez Mon 25-Feb-19 10:23:58

I think, the best thing you can do to improve your stability and balance Yoga is to considered a really dynamic system for strengthening the human form in a variety of ways.

Anniebach Mon 25-Feb-19 10:43:31

I wish I could stand unaided for the length of time the man did introducing his workout ?

NanaHelen Wed 05-Jun-19 12:37:38

Hi AdamPaul, have you tried physiotherapy? Unfortunately loss of strength and balance issues is just a part of growing up but I've started to be more proactive about it. I've been having Physio Comes to You come to my home frequently for about a year now and am noting a fantastic difference! I recommend them to everyone.