Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I need to start excersing

(50 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:41:50

I regularly went to the gym when I was working and even in retirement I continued at least twice a week.
But now
I have even stopped going to the walking group.

I really feel I need to kick start myself but have no motivation.

I am not totally sedentary I garden and have a good walking pace when out but after reading we loose 1% of our muscle mass per year after 50 it's got me worried.

I don't drink milk or eat cheese so am also concerned about my bone density.
Should I take a calcium supplement or not?

Greyduster Wed 10-Oct-18 11:52:21

If you have a local swimming pool why not try an aqua fit or aquajog class. They are a good workout; or if you don’t do deep water and need something gentler, aquacise.

goldengirl Wed 10-Oct-18 12:20:38

swimming is great - but it takes effort. How's about something like line dancing or Rock Choir where not only do you sing [it doesnt have to be in tune!!!] but you learn movements to go with the songs so you're not static all the time. It could be a gradually introduction to other activities and you get to talk to people who are very often in a similar boat to yourself.

M0nica Wed 10-Oct-18 17:17:50

Tai Chi, it is deceptively undemanding, it seems gentle and easy but gives a very thorough work out.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:52:15

Swimming is good but doesn’t build bone density.
Walking, jogging does

varian Wed 10-Oct-18 19:00:14

Have you tried Pilates? It is basically stretching exercises for ladies of a certain age who are not neccesarliy at the peak of physical fitness, Realtively painless and probably good for you.

M0nica Wed 10-Oct-18 21:47:36

I watched Michael Mosely in Trust me I'm a doctor this evening. It assessed the health benefits of 12 weeks of Zumba with 12 weeks of Tai Chi. The incredible thing was, Tai Chi was just as effective in increasing heart beat, relaxing blood vessels and all the other things exercise brings to you that supports your health as the much more obviously energetic Zumba.

MM, did a Tai Chi session and said that for such a gentle exercise, he felt he had experienced a real work out, which is exactly what I said in my post of 17.17.50 today. Remember you read it on GN before you heard on tv!!

varian, with pilates, it rather depends on what class you do. Many places run pilates for the over 50s, which is quite gentle, usually done sitting down and does not require lying on the floor, or the quite vigorous stretching a main stream pilates class requires.

Main stream pilates is not practical for anyone with arthritis or has any problem with movement or is frail in any way. I wouldn't choose it as a route back to exercise for someone who hasn't exercised for sometime. I have been doing main stream pilates for several years and still cannot manage some of the exercises.

jeanie99 Wed 10-Oct-18 22:54:59

Thank you everyone for your interest and comments.

I hadn't thought of Tai Chi I think that might be alright for me.

I just need to find a club and motivation.

fourormore Thu 11-Oct-18 10:02:44

MOnica you beat me to it as I also watched 'Trust me' last night.
I was intrigued by his results - does anyone know if Tai Chi helps (physically or psychologically?) with weight loss as I am really struggling to lose just a stone or so to be somewhere near my ideal weight as my dear friends on the 'I am a pear' thread will know hmm

bikergran Thu 11-Oct-18 11:49:58

Just over a year ago I bought a car and hence stopped walking to work. I used to walk there and back 3 times a week in all weathers (about a 25 min walk each way) so almost an hour 3 times a week.
I lost a stone over the 12 months without even trying.

Decided to walk to work the other Sunday! what a difference, due to the fact I have put that stone back on (and more) plus not been walking.

Madgran77 Thu 11-Oct-18 15:52:12

I make myself walk everywhere - walking with a purpose makes me do it. And I walk as fast as I can and use a rucksack so I can swing my arms. Walking is good for bone strength too

Nonnie Thu 11-Oct-18 16:39:06

Pilates is not an easy exercise unless you join a daytime class which is usually for the older person. You should check you have a properly qualified teacher, not one of those gym ones who teaches everything. A properly qualified teacher will ask about your health and adjust the exercises accordingly. Some of the bending ones should not be done by those with osteoporosis. Good Pilates teachers have beginners' classes and grade them upwards.

M0nica Thu 11-Oct-18 21:02:03

I am not sure Tai Chi directly helps with weight loss. I do not think any kind of exercise, of itself, can directly help weight loss. But a reasonable measure of exercise is essential for a healthy lifestyle.

The NHS list the following 10 advantages of regular exercise
up to a 35% lower risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes
up to a 50% lower risk of colon cancer
up to a 20% lower risk of breast cancer
a 30% lower risk of early death
up to an 83% lower risk of osteoarthritis
up to a 68% lower risk of hip fracture
a 30% lower risk of falls (among older adults)
up to a 30% lower risk of depression
up to a 30% lower risk of dementia

which is fairly impressive, for weight lost you need to change your diet, but exercise has never been shown to make you fat.

Patsy70 Thu 11-Oct-18 21:23:28

I love walking, but am not particularly good at going swimming (unless it's on holiday in the sea). I don't like gyms either, but understand that some people need that discipline. My daughter, for instance, goes to a 'boot camp' a few times each week, which is great for her. It's all about finding the type of exercise that suits you. I've got a dog, so enjoy walking in the woods and fields in the morning, and as long as you have the right clothes. it is very therapeutic. Also, I love gardening, which can be very heavy going at times, but a good work out!

Lynne59 Fri 12-Oct-18 20:38:23

You could try:

Zumba (Zumba Gold is slower-paced)
aerobics
walking
golf
tennis
Badminton
Jogging

which are all weight-bearing exercises (good for the bones). Swimming isn't weight-bearing but is good for muscles.

Calcium-rich foods include:
yoghurt, cheese, leafy green vegetables, (not spinach though) tinned sardines, tinned salmon, or any other fish where you'd eat the bones., some seeds, tofu.

ayse Fri 12-Oct-18 21:27:37

About 6 months ago following my DH being diagnosed with Diabetes I decided to go to the gym. Our local authorotund gym is now run by a charity and membership is about £24 per month. For this we can use any of the 4 pools and go to any of the gym facilities or any of the classes. They have a huge variety. I’ve finally settled on Zumba Gold, Pilates and Total Body Conditioning. This was far more cost effective than paying per session and I go 3 times weekly.
Good thing is that because most of the people are older you do what you can manage and there is little pressure to do more than you are able. I also tried aqua aerobics but this wasn’t for me.
I’m very glad to have more exercise and feel so much more flexible and far fitter than previously. For the first time in years last week, I touched my toes!
I hope you can find something you’re enjoy.
Good luck

ayse Fri 12-Oct-18 21:29:27

‘Local authority’ - reminder to self - read it through before posting to check spelling, including unneeded capitals!

jeanie99 Tue 16-Oct-18 09:20:49

I have bit the bullet and joined a gym which provides a huge amount of classes 3 gyms and a swimming pool. Concession price £24.50 a month and I can freeze months if I need to. Have to say I didn't want to pay so much but if I paid as you go it works out so much more.

I have had the talk for the gym and done three classes so far, my body was in shock after the first class called body balance.
It was a mixture of Yoga Pilates and Tai Chi with slow movements it was a complete workout.
My balance is totally shot which I need to work on.
I am just so glad I have now taken steps to take care of myself and hope the motivation lasts.

midgey Tue 16-Oct-18 13:16:39

I have been doing ‘gentle pilates’ for a couple of years. At the end of the class it doesn’t feel as if there was anything gentle about it! It is really worth doing, I would absolutely recommend it.

varian Tue 16-Oct-18 19:39:58

I have been doing "gentle pilates" for about six months. We have a lovely teacher but I can't say I enjoy it. I keep looking at the clock, but I do think it must be doing me good.

MeltingMacaron Tue 16-Oct-18 20:11:08

If you like walking perhaps consider the Walk 1000 miles challenge that is run in conjunction with Country Walking magazine to walk 1000 miles in a year. Officially it runs from January 1 but there's no reason it has to. You could start at any time. Sounds daunting but if you walk every day it's only 2.75 miles so just an hour at slightly about average walking pace.

I do like to walk but unless there's a dog to exercise (there isn't in my case) it can be hard to find the motivation on dull, wet or cold days.

There's a phone app called Map My Walk that can both track and keep a tally of cumulative mileage and a Facebook group for people wanting to chat about their progress.

I did the challenge in 2017 and found it a great motivator for getting me out of the house. 2018 has been scuppered by a knee surgery but I'm planning to start the 2019 challenge after Christmas.

Another thumbs up for Tai Chi. I have only just started. 30 minutes a week and enjoying it a lot. Surprised and pleased by the researchers findings on TMIAD.

Lupin Wed 17-Oct-18 09:55:35

Have a look at both Jessica Smith and Leslie Sansone on YouTube. You can also buy DVDs of their Walk at Home routines. I also like Rosemary Conley's Salsacise DVDs - if you can still get them. They are quite fun to do and lift the spirits.
Must admit I've got out the habit recently, so your post has motivated me again.

I hope you find something that you enjoy.

Patticake123 Wed 17-Oct-18 10:02:14

I loathe the gym, whilst I’m sure it must do some good I can’t help thinking that working out on the garden would be so much more productive. And so, I do Body Balance, a mixture of tai chi, Pilates and yoga and more recently I’ve started yoga classes. This leaves me feeling good and my weight is slowly but surely coming down (combined with better diet). Shop around and I’m sure you’ll get your mojo back!

Legs55 Wed 17-Oct-18 10:15:14

I started going to a "gentle" Pilates class at the beginning of the year, some exercises I can't do but I do feel some benefit. I also come out sometimes thinking if that's gentle why do I hurthmm. Good fun & a lovely (qualified) teacher.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 17-Oct-18 10:16:08

I also hate the gym it is so boring. As I said before I cycle a great deal outside at least twice a week or 30 miles a week. Also being trying gentle yoga but after 6 weeks I have given it up, spend to much time getting up and down after my knee op that I was missing quite a bit. So now after reading all this I am thinking of going to Tai Chai, been before and found it a good workout not only for the body but also for the mind as you have to remember so many moves. Will say that cycling helped me drop a dress size.