Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

(254 Posts)
Katyj Tue 15-Jan-19 06:42:43

Starting the 5.2 diet today.800 calories on the diet days.I have 3 stone to loose, and high blood pressure.Anybody want join me .

NanKate Tue 15-Jan-19 07:34:00

Morning Katy. If you want some extra support we have a thread going since last May with all of us trying to lose or maintain our weight loss, it is called ‘I’m a Pear’. Best of luck.

Katyj Tue 15-Jan-19 09:45:26

Thank you Man Kate. I'll have a look ☺

Katyj Tue 15-Jan-19 09:47:05

Oops sorry NanKate.

NanKate Tue 15-Jan-19 15:06:19

No problem Katy. I am definitely not gender fluid ?

Urmstongran Tue 15-Jan-19 15:17:59

I started it last week. Lost 4lbs so far. I’m on a ‘fast day’ today. Porridge for breakfast at 10am (not too early or it’s a long day!) an apple at 2pm and I’m counting down till 5pm when I’m having 2 pieces of toast with butter and baked beans. A feast!! I can’t be bothered to think up anything creative on fast days. Just get through it with plenty of water to prevent headaches.
I’ve got tickets next month to listen to Dr M Moseley in Manchester Bridgewater Hall on the 15th. I’ll report back if there’s any little tips or amazing insights! I’m hoping the experience will spur me on as I’ll be 6 weeks in by then.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Jan-19 15:21:06

Sorry maybe I’ve continued on this thread when I should have done it on ‘I’m a Pear’. That said it’s maybe useful to concentrate just on a 5:2 thread as it’s the diet I’m following. What do other dieters think?
I quite like this thread as it’s specific to what I’m doing.

Katyj Tue 15-Jan-19 17:44:00

Hi, urmstongran.Thank you for replying.Are you doing the revised version of 800 calories ? It's my first day today, I skipped breakfast, then had a banana at 10 am, a meal replacement bar at lunch , didn't like it though, so I'll have to think of something else, a satsuma, and a low fat yogurt, then tea time a slice of toast and 1 egg.Sounds like a lot when written down ! I'm not hungry, but certainly not full. I'd be very interested to hear about the meeting, I didn't know he did them, I think it'll be very interesting I'm sure you'll enjoy it.Let's see if anyone else wants to join in this thread, it would be great to swap ideas on what to eat on diet days, and to compare our weight losses,hopefully !

Urmstongran Tue 15-Jan-19 18:01:11

Hi Katyj ! Actually I like this thread better than a whole ‘dieting’ one as there are SO many diets out there and it’s good you’ve started this one to tailor our thoughts & maybe give help!
The concept of 800 calories per day is quite new I think as when it all started 6 years ago it was 500 for women & 600 for men. The caveat is that there is a smaller time ‘window’ for food to be eaten on the fast days (I think). Something like eat before 6pm on the fast days. That’s why I’ve bought tickets to listen to the man himself to find out more.
He’s doing a tour starting in a couple of weeks - I Googled it to find out venues.
I see GNHQ has opened a thread today for any interested people on here to post a question and then they will submit it to him. Have you seen the thread - you might be interested?
I agree , it would be great if other 5:2ers join this thread as we could support one another and come up with ideas. Or moans ha!

Urmstongran Wed 16-Jan-19 08:54:47

Woohoo! Weighed myself first thing this morning and I’ve lost 1.5lbs. So that’s 5.5lbs since 4 January. I have 2st to lose but I’m so hopeful I can stick on this fasting diet. I love today as it’s my eating day! You’d think you’d go mad after fantasising about food yesterday but you don’t.
How did you get on Katyj?
Would anyone else like to join this thread? Please do. It would be great to swap ideas.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Jan-19 09:03:24

Here's the thread where you can as Michael Mosley anything you like about the plan www.gransnet.com/forums/webchats/1256799-The-Fast-800-add-your-questions-for-Dr-Michael-Mosley

shysal Wed 16-Jan-19 09:28:40

I would like to join you please. Years ago, when Michael Mosely first broadcast on intermittent fasting I managed to lose 3 stone doing alternate days (5:2 didn't work for me) so think I shall do Monday, Wednesday and Friday, eating up to 800 cals within an 8 hour window. This time will be more difficult because I am taking steroids, but something must be done! I used to try to have a good plateful at mealtimes, bulking it up with vegetables. A favourite was butternut squash cut into chips and roasted with a few squirts of spray oil, or mixed veg done in the same way. Shredded cabbage with a little home-cooked mince was a 'pretend' spag bol. I might even dig out my poor neglected spiralizer!
Out to lunch today so Friday will be my first fasting day.
Good luck everybody.

Katyj Wed 16-Jan-19 09:29:17

Hi, we'll done ! That's fantastic, you must be thrilled.I did well yesterday, didn't find it too difficult, although I do feel tired today, I'm going to up my water, see if that helps. Eating day today, I've had two weetabix and blueberries for breakfast, having a tuna sandwich and fruit for lunch, and a stir fry for tea, and hoping to keep away from the snacks ! Yes I've seen the thread, perfect timing as I would like to know how to optimise lowering blood pressure, is it more to do with the diet, fasting or both. Enjoy your eating day today, I'm sure you will.

shysal Wed 16-Jan-19 10:02:50

I decided to buy the book although I expect a lot of the info will be similar to his other ones which I already have. The cheapest I could find was from bookrocker.co.uk £4.50 with free P & P.

Katyj Wed 16-Jan-19 10:09:03

Oh thanks Shysal. I'll order one .Have you been doing it long ?

shysal Wed 16-Jan-19 11:44:00

Starting on Friday, Katyj. Have successfully done a version of it years ago.

Katyj Wed 16-Jan-19 11:51:33

Good luck.That's good to hear you've been successful. Let's keep talking, it's lovely to hear how everyone is doing.

Dottygran59 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:23:39

Ooooh thanks, Katyj for starting this thread - I'm in! Lost 4lbs already this week - thrilled.

Did 5:2 in 2012 and even though I had lost a lot of weight on slimming world, lost even more and felt amazing. FF 7 years and alas I am a bit of a blob. Need to lose about 20lbs.

I have the book but only skimmed it. I am doing 800 every day to kick start and I thought you had to eat very few carbs? I have mackerel, smoked salmon and salad leaves for lunch and a ham and cheese omelette for supper - no breakfast. Am craving carbs so am I allowed them?

Urmstongran Wed 16-Jan-19 13:53:33

Not sure about the carbs Dottygran. I just thought you had to stay with the calorie allowance but maybe I’m wrong? At the moment I’m just starting out and feeling evangelical!
Good luck to us all eh?

Dottygran59 Wed 16-Jan-19 14:19:42

Hi Urmstongran - Oh I hope you CAN have carbs - I am struggling without them lol - I thinks it's because I am fasting every day for a boost, otherwise I am sure on my non fasting days I could have some beloved bread.

Yes indeed, Good luck to all of us, come on Grannies, WE CAN DO THIS

moggie57 Wed 16-Jan-19 16:20:39

jacket potatoes. with 50 grams of cheese/beans./salads (no mayonaise) try olive oil. stir frys/ready brek or porridge for breakfast with grated apples on top/(no sugar). just cut down on portion size . get a smaller dinner plate..no pastries/crisps/cakes/sausage rolls/if you get peckish try cheese oatcakes/banana/fruit and lotsa water.

Katyj Wed 16-Jan-19 17:47:01

Your welcome Dotty, more the merrier .Oh I hope you can have carbs, I think it's going to be a lot tougher without them.Are bananas carbohydrates? I had one yesterday and found it very filling.

Morgana Wed 16-Jan-19 21:49:38

I am not convinced that this is a healthy diet!

Re the comment above about bananas: the riper the banana, the sweeter it is. I find if I have a banana with my cereal, it fills me up for most of the day. Don't know if it's a good idea to eat them late at night.

M0nica Thu 17-Jan-19 09:21:37

Well, no one has proved it is an unhealthy diet and it is only done 2 days a week. There is actually evidence building up that this type of diet, the mix of fasting days and normal days is good for long term health.
www.news-medical.net/health/The-52-Diet-Health-Benefits.aspx Since DH went on it, he has come off all medications for his diabetes, despite a subsequent illness leading to him putting the weight he lost back on.

On fast days I eat 2x250 calorie meals, one at lunch time and one in the evening. I have googled '250 calorie recipes' plus reformulated recipes I use regularly and now have a personal recipe book of over 40 recipes that I use to plan meals. I think as a result I rarely feel hungry on fast days.

You can eat any food you like on the 5:2 diet. In theory, if you are doing the 500 version you could just choose to eat 2 Mars bars over the course of the day, possibly 3 if on the 800 version. I prefer meals that are rich in vegetables, lentils and beans as they are so filling.

toscalily Thu 17-Jan-19 10:13:58

This is the link for the recipe page for the Dr Michael Mosley Blood Sugar Diet. Has over 300 recipes so could be useful.

thebloodsugardiet.com/recipes/