Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Slimming World classes

(45 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 06-Mar-19 18:51:22

I usually go and get weighed, have a look at what's new in their cook books and go but today I stayed as it was the biggest loser awards and inspirational they were to, three people have lost over three stone each .. also it was a taster day where people made food syn free or low syn and brought it in, all looked very nice but I didn't have any....

How many guys on here go to SW?... I think a small number of us do on here

Shirleyw Wed 20-Mar-19 18:10:09

How did your weigh in go Sisteract?....thought i'd go SP for 7 days and NO alcohol over the weekend lol....

SisterAct Wed 20-Mar-19 19:23:57

Hi Shirley nice of you to ask. I was amazed and aware it’s Week 1 and mostly water but lost 6lb ?. Think writing everything down helped. I’ve been in work today and was so tempted by millionaire shortbread but didn’t give in ? not sure how long I can keep this going though ? Sorry to show ignorance what’s SP day? How are you doing ?

SisterAct Wed 20-Mar-19 19:25:47

Ps struggling to have 2 a choices as if I have cheese in the house I would eat it ?

Shirleyw Thu 21-Mar-19 05:06:11

That's really good sister act, sp is speed food and protein basically fruit , veg and the proteins, I don't always have my 2nd healthy A, it's recently brought in to have two A's so I don't always remember , I know what you mean about cheese though, I sometimes weigh out 65grams of light feta, that's for lunch, 65g does look a good size, was surprised lol....
Now, I can't buy the SW choc bars what they have on display, as I can't just eat one or two, I have been known to have about four or more at a one sitting ? So decided not to buy anymore lol

LullyDully Thu 21-Mar-19 07:52:23

I buy the 30% cheese slices and have two of them . Stronger cheese for taste . Then water down my milk.

Shirleyw Thu 25-Apr-19 05:25:17

I stayed for the talk yesterday as what with holiday then Easter 5 lb has crept on, easily done.....was Motivational (after all the round of applauses ?)....and picked up a few recipe ideas. Am doing SP for the next 7 days to see if I can shift those added pounds....
How's everyone else doing on SW?

chloe1984 Thu 25-Apr-19 07:39:38

I am trying an SP week as well after a 7 lb gain in two weeks ( too many hot cross buns). Have also reread the books as I think I had been straying a bit. Also trying for 10000 steps a day.

Shirleyw Tue 30-Apr-19 17:38:26

Well done Chloe, tomorrow is my weigh in , i hope ive lost a substantial amount as I stuck to SP by the letter and upped my exercise....

GreatauntieLinda Wed 01-May-19 16:29:59

I joined SW in January 2017. In February 2018 I achieved my target weight having lost 4st 4lbs. I stay to class every week. I still attend, in fact I'm just about to leave now. I am now a Diamond member having maintained my weight loss for over a year. For me staying to Class is the most important part. It gives me motivation for the coming week. I would encourage every member to stay to Class and stay on Plan.

Shirleyw Wed 01-May-19 17:15:17

Fabulous Greatauntie, thats great you kept it off....bet you feel good?

chloe1984 Wed 01-May-19 18:50:07

Weighed in this morning lost 7 lbs happy with that but I did find the SP week very hard but stuck to it and wrote everything down that I ate during the week.

Loulou31 Thu 02-May-19 11:43:00

I'm supposed to be doing SW, started at class then changed to online but I just can't get going. At the moment I'm lethargic, ok lazy, and just can't stop eating. I know it's probably boredom but I just can't be bothered to do anything. DH is no help either.

glammanana Thu 02-May-19 12:53:18

Loulou31 Its awful when you don't have the motivation isn't it,that happened to me a couple of years ago but I made sure I went to classes opposed to online,then again I am not fond of all the happy clappy brigade, once you see the weight coming off you will find it much more encougaging altogether.

Purpledaffodil Thu 02-May-19 13:52:27

Found it hard to get my head round the SW diet. Low fat AND low carb??? Also disliked the way rubbish such as Mullerlite yoghurts and Frylite is encouraged but avocados are the food of Satan?
That said DD and I did do well with pre wedding weight loss at SW but we were very motivated. Motivation in the form of that awful clapping did not work and we only stayed once for that. I much preferred Rosemary Conley because you had an exercise class included, but sadly RC classes are no more. ?

Pippa000 Thu 02-May-19 14:17:21

Purpledaffodil - I too miss Rosemary Conley classes, I made every good friends there during the exercise bit, I felt the class had a start middle and end, and there was always a full to bursting class. Loved the big meetings with Rosemary as well.

I have just restarted SW, as I have put back the weight I lost prior to loosing DH. Now 15 months on I need to get myself fit again. The constant clapping does annoy though. I do wonder why it is done? there seems to be a general comment about this. Last week the hall was full for the weight in but less than 1/3 stayed for the whole session. Its almost as if they want your money for little effort.

MawBroonsback Thu 02-May-19 14:54:57

I liked Rosemary Conley too and lost two stone -never matched since although WW came close.
I think so much is down to the personality and quality of the easer.
One or two over the years have been really inspirational, others know less than I do and I agree about the endorsement of some “ready meals”
I am struggling with SW I admit.
My daily food is just about exclusively “free” with two squares of very dark choc in the evening when I am desperate. Yucky skimmed milk, fat free yogurt, frozen raspberries, enough salad to grow bunny ears, lean chicken without the skin, eggs in all forms.
Weight loss this week? One measly pound sad

Susiewakie Sun 12-May-19 15:51:49

MawBroonsback I feel your pain with SW 3 weeks in following it religiously lost 3 .5 lbs ! I increased my running to 3 times a week try to always do 10000 steps and that's all I've lost dont know what else to do ? Doctor told me to lists stone help

Susiewakie Sun 12-May-19 15:52:51

Sorry lose a stone!

NanaandGrampy Sun 12-May-19 20:31:48

I think I'm going to fly in the face of a lot of the comments here.

I think actually staying to class helps. Not for the clapping ( that's annoying) but our leader encourages discussion so no-one drinks 'yucky skimmed milk' Maw :-) , fat free yoghurt - yes but not all are created equal- have you tried the new Muller Amore yoghurts? If your will power is wavering everyone chips in with hints and tips.

Also the longer you go and stay the more you get to know other 'regulars'. And that encourages support.

For those who are not seeing the results you want/expect do you write everything down? Do you weigh everything? Its amazing how easy it is to forget what you ate or to eat more than you thought.

We have never eaten better, and Grampy has lost 3 stone since just before Christmas and me a stone and 3/4s.

One thing we have come to terms with is as long as we lose something even 'one measly pound' its going in the right direction.