Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Why do women hate their bodies

(78 Posts)
M0nica Tue 17-Sep-19 19:49:20

Although I had a perfectly ordinary normal childhood I never came across this concept of women hating their bodies until I was in my 30s. I had never heard anyone talk about this and I am not sure I have heard many women talk about it since, just read about it.

I find it completely incomprehensible. Walk around the streets you can see people of all shapes and sizes and all levels of looks. How many of them have perfect figures in every way or perfect faces. None that I know of. Yet they are wandering around in family groups with matchingly ordinary men or with friends or on their own and no-one is reeling with horror at the sight of any of them.

I know my figure isn't perfect, great big navvy's hands - and feet to match. I have never had a waist, my rib cage is on kissing terms with my hip bones. It is in the family, my mother and sister have the same problem. No matter how thin we are the answer to the question 'Does my bum look big in this?' is always yes. As for my face, my lips were (they have thinned down a bit) like two sausages tied at the corners. But it has never bothered me. These are observations not judgments. I also have good eyes, tits and legs, I make the most of my good bits and disguise the worst, but I have never 'hated' my body, not even when I was overweight. I might have wished the excess fat would go, but hate my body or be ashamed of it? what a peculiar idea.

M0nica Tue 29-Jun-21 19:33:46

Kim GN have already removed it, he/she/it has also revitalised another one of my old threads. I have reported that one as GN hadn't noticed it.

Gabrielle56 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:49:09

Dunno how old this post is but the issue is timeless! I think that the usually enormous changes that occur to womens bodies fuels the syndrome. We have more hormonal flux and this affects us dramatically usually (unless one is the few washboard athletic types who snap right back in shape after about eight littl Un's?!) Than men ever have. I piled on3 stones within about 18months in 2006 when I : had emergency hysterectomy, finished work, gave up smoking , gave up drinking vast amounts of booze(which was helping to keep me slim via suppression of appetite) then I developed serious arthritis in one hip that cost me another stone two years later the other hip failed(another stone!) Then I went gym with new found painless flexibility and didn't lose much weight but really toned up dropped dress sizes and felt tab! .......then pandemic hit us ......back to really overweight and Inflexible again, so when I discovered that gym membership had almost doubled (!) I am now very down in spirit as I feel that I'll not have enough years left to get back to pre pandemic fitness befor I get too old to be able to do what I know j need to! Complicated but has all resulted in slender fit looking tall handsome woman ending up looking like a dumpy old bird with a massive gut and bad posture. I just hate myself but accept that this is what happen to most of us. Men? Get a bit of a belly.....are they bothered? Nope buy bigger trousers.........