Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

First dress in 40yrs

(96 Posts)
Whiff Sun 22-Dec-19 06:36:43

I have wanted to buy a dress of a long time. Now finally after losing 7st 10lbs over 2 yrs. Going from a size 32 to a 16 I have one. My daughter took me shopping and helped me choose. I started to put weight on when I was 8 and am now 61. My weight has been stable for a month. Would like to loss another 7lbs but if it takes me another year to do it that's ok with me. At the age of 59 realised its a marathon not sprint. My children are very proud of me and say their Dad would be to. Widowed nearly 16 years. Just wanted to blow my own trumpet lol.

Bellanonna Sun 22-Dec-19 22:38:24

What a result. Well done you!

Purplepoppies Mon 23-Dec-19 10:09:21

Congratulations Whiff!! ???????????
Very inspiring. Enjoy dressing up and wowing everyone ?

Taptan Mon 23-Dec-19 11:23:13

Congratulations and well done, it is not easy to lose weight.

MiniDriver56 Mon 23-Dec-19 20:35:25

Well done Whiff! You should be proud, wear your new dress with pride! You deserve it!

Kalu Mon 23-Dec-19 20:48:29

Fabulous achievement Whiff?? a couple of spare trumpets for you to blow? and why not??

Enjoy wearing your new dress.

Eva2 Tue 24-Dec-19 02:32:01

You go girl. Enjoy your new look, youve worked hard for it. Respect. smile

Bluebird64 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:01:13

Well done Whiff, it's a long journey with an uncertain ending for many of us. I lost weight the easy way by having gastroenteritis for most of the summer - but I deffo wouldn't recommend it!

Whiff Tue 24-Dec-19 08:20:13

Thank you all for your amazing messages . I can not thank you all individually as there are so many of you wonderful people. To all of you no matter if you have lost pounds or stones huge congratulations.

I spent decades being fat. My late husband loved and couldn't keep his hands off me I'm glad to say no matter how big I was. I yo yo directed for decades. Always put on more than I lost. Always gave up to easily. I have been ill for almost 32 yrs. It was only after I got dangerous ill March 2017 that I took stock of my life. Had no choice really due to not being able to do anything but rest and recover for 5 months. I lost 11lb through that illness. Had a lot of time to think what I wanted from life. No one was dependent on me anymore after my mom died. So I decided I wanted to move closer to my children , loss weight and get fit.

Well lost weight, moved house in August and am getting fit. It took me a long time to realise it's a marathon not a sprint. If I only lost quarter pound a week I was happy , if I had a bad day food wise it didn't put me off. I weigh everything and measure fluids and count calories. I have done it on my own. Tried clubs when my husband was alive and hated them.

When I was 15.5st I joined a community fit club run by Age UK. My idea was to stick it out for 2 weeks so I could learn some moves and do them at home. Our instructor was brilliant because I have limb and balance problems she tailored a way for me to do the same exercises using a chair. Hold on the back of a chair for leg ones and sat down for arm ones. I walk using a stick usually.
The course lasted 12 weeks it was free. I loved it and got up to 30 mins at home a day. When I moved here I have joined a sit fit group. Instructor is great tailored exercises for us . Use the chair as before. £5 once a week well spent. Haven't been able to exercise at home for a couple of months due t health problems but love my Monday morning sit fit work out.

I have a lot of lose skin but that's easy to hide. Lost 8" from bust, 12" from waist and 15" from my hips. I feel great and move easier and limbs permitting quicker. Found I could hobble run the other day when my almost 2 yrs old grandson took off in Waitrose. He thought it was funny nannie caught him.

Whiff Tue 24-Dec-19 08:31:16

Pressed post instead of preview.
I cut out my danger foods to have in the house. We all have the ones we can't resist. But still have chocolate and other naughties when I am out just count the calories. It's not easy I have had blimps but I haven't given up.

Love buying cheaper clothes own my first ever pair of ankle boots. Have a wonderful Christmas everyone

LullyDully Tue 24-Dec-19 08:35:10

What determination. Good for you. Enjoy the new you and just keep it off, I am sure you will with a new dress to wear.

cas58 Tue 24-Dec-19 09:24:04

Good for you! Keep up the good work and get more dresses!

saqueen Tue 24-Dec-19 10:26:28

Keep the good work, losing weight is really hard. I personally customized my dress on www.vividress.co.za

GreenGran78 Wed 25-Dec-19 21:11:14

Vickya well done for maintaining your weight loss. That’s the hardest part, as it’s so easy to let bad eating habits creep back in. I have lost weight several times, but put it back on, especially when I was immobilised and miserable while waiting for a new hip. Since I had the op, last May, I have taken off 2 stone and feel much better for it. This time I intend to keep up my Slimming World membership, for moral support, and also aim to lose a bit more in the new year.
Whiff, you are an amazing woman. Managing to lose such a lot of weight can’t have been easy. Enjoy flaunting your new shapely figure, and keep up the good work.

Whiff Sat 28-Dec-19 07:53:11

Thank you all again for your support. Glad to say my dress was a hit. Felt a million dollars. My daughter sent a photo of me to my brother he's reply was gorgeous. My son said how beautiful I looked.

Hope everyone has a happy New year and in 2020 you achieve all you want to in life.

bikergran Sat 28-Dec-19 08:24:44

Brilliant lots of claps from Gransnet, not an easy task but you have "done it" well done..

bikergran Sat 28-Dec-19 08:26:41

Whiff can I ask ? did your legs slim down, I have thick chunky legs now (too much weight) but used to have slimmer legs (never appreciated them) hmm would like them back now so I too may wear a dress after 40 odd years! smile

Whiff Sat 28-Dec-19 11:32:27

bikergran. Unfortunately I have always been bottom heavy that is big bum and legs. My bum and tum has slimmed down but wobbly. It's a lovely feeling when I lie down my tum is completely flat. My thighs have slimmed down very wobbly . My calves and ankles have slimmed not wobbly but still larger than someone who hasn't lost over 7 st. My feet have slimmed down which I didn't expect. I wear trousers size 16 and feel confident about it. But wear a long top to hide the top few inches of my thighs. Last time I wore them was 1980/1981 when we had our 1st house for painting in. Only my late husband saw me in them. Because of being fat for so long my skin won't go flat that's why I want to get to 11st and no lower. That way I look well and not gaunt. It's still overweight for my height but it will be right for me. My dress comes just below my knees which I would never have tried on but my daughter encouraged me to do. I tried on a longer one it was to long and looked awful. I wear 40 denier tights at the moment and they keep my thighs from wobbling.

I wish you well losing weight. But be kind to yourself . That's one of the things this journey has taught me. Also its a marathon not sprint and don't set yourself a time limit in which to lose the weight. Wish I could have told me young self. I would have been kinder to my young self. We live and learn.

bikergran Sat 28-Dec-19 19:09:09

You sound so determined and an encouragement to all, its people like yourself that give others the will and enthusiasm to give it a go and if you fall at a couple of hurdles! then get back up and start again.

Well done once again smile

Moocow Sat 28-Dec-19 20:15:59

Enjoy wearing your dress, I do find your posts very encouraging and interesting.

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:52:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.