Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Couch to 5k

(60 Posts)
Whingingmom Sat 02-May-20 12:10:39

Has anyone tried this?
I’m 61, reasonably fit and managed to do an hour weight training in the gym 2-3 times weekly until lockdown prevented this. I’m around a stone overweight though and have mild asthma which doesn’t seem to be made worse by exercising.
I’d love to try this challenge but a bit wary. I’d appreciate hearing how others have got on with it - good or bad!

Moth62 Sun 03-May-20 11:00:28

At the age of 51 (I’m 63 now) and post-lumpectomy, I started training from nothing and six months later I completed the Great North Run in aid of Breast Cancer Care. I followed a plan in a sports shop magazine that I picked up when I took my son to get his trainers. Same idea as 0 to 5k. Go for it. What have you got to lose?

Omaoma57 Sun 03-May-20 11:15:06

Yes, very successfully! Started at the beginning of lock down and now regularly run alternate days up to 5 k... used to go swimming and gym before lockdown so reasonably fit..i am 63

JaneRn Sun 03-May-20 11:29:34

I'm still not sure what this is all about, as I have never heard of the people or programs mentioned but I will only say that the thought of any organised keep fit routine has never appealed to me, and the thought of actually going to a gym is not something I would ever have considered. However, since I seem to be considerably older than the rest of you I shall content myself with my frequent trips up and down two flights of stairs. tending my garden and walking for at least an hour every day. Am I forgiven?

Glamgran007 Sun 03-May-20 11:32:25

I started this for something to do during lockdown. I have a treadmill in the summer house in the garden, so can leave doors open and have a good breeze wafting in, this is very necessary as I get very hot. I’m on my last run of week 7 so running for 25 mins. I never thought this would be possible. Really want to try running outside, but not sure the general public is ready for me in Lycra! It works so go for it! I’m 61 and if I can do it anyone can.

Forestflame Sun 03-May-20 11:38:45

I have done it and it works, it's brilliant. Did mine 18 months ago with a local support group. Still running,usually did Parkrun until lockdown. Biker, don't let embarrassment put you off. I have had nothing but nice comments from people, and I am no stick insect!

lincolnimp Sun 03-May-20 11:43:08

It definitely works, go for it smile

Speldnan Sun 03-May-20 11:57:17

I’m 70 and already did a lot of walking but always hated running. However I started couch to 5K last summer, it took me a long time to complete as I had some injuries, illness etc but I finished it before the lockdown. I now can’t imagine my life without running, I run 3 times per week for 20-30 mins depending on how I’m feeling. My resting heart rate is 50bpm so it’s made me fitter than any other exercise I’ve ever done.
I’d recommend it to anyone regardless of age- just give it a go. You start of really slowly so it’s not as daunting as you may think.

Dhall54 Sun 03-May-20 12:01:47

I started Couch to 5k in February at the age of 65. I’ve never been able to run - I was the one in PE who got left till the end when teams were picked and eight years ago I got an autoimmune rheumatological disease which meant I was inactive for a couple of years. The programme builds up your stamina slowly but steadily - I was out of breath after the 90 second run so it feels like nothing short of a miracle that I’m running 4 or 5k three times a week. And loving it. Running is a slight exaggeration - it’s more of a laboured jog - but I do 40 minutes without stopping. No mean feat in hilly Devon. Mostly there are only sheep round here to judge me - but I wouldn’t let embarrassment stop you. Other runners are really supportive but what keeps me going is how good it makes me feel afterwards and how much more energetic in general I feel. I haven’t lost weight (I eat what I like) but have lost several spare tyres. And have gained the undying admiration of my children and husband who are amazed I’ve done it.
Make sure you’ve got good supportive trainers and do some stretches before and after. Oh, and go for Michael Johnson as the motivational voice....

helgawills Sun 03-May-20 12:35:57

Do it now! Air is a lot less polluted at the moment! Good Luck. Also you don't have to follow it like a slave, there is room for individual adjustment.

Theoddbird Sun 03-May-20 12:43:40

I am 69. I did start it last year but then went on a soft track which caused me to hurt hip. Was told after that sort of track is wrong for older person. I was getting on quite well. I intend starting again soon.

Pinkrinse Sun 03-May-20 12:46:47

Hi Im 60 and about 1.5 stone overweight and jog 4 miles every Sunday. It does me more good then harm, so I would strongly recommend giving it a go.

Shirleyw Sun 03-May-20 12:53:34

Thanks moth62 for bringing up about the C25k.

Thats great to read all you guys doing the c25k, very inspirational. Making me want to get back out there again, (I still have the sports bra which I definately will need ???)

Caramac Sun 03-May-20 13:26:41

I’ve done this a couple of times and found it really good as I’m useless at judging distances etc. At nearly 60 I’ve finally found my pace - slow! However until lockdown I had increased my distance to 5 miles and was very happy.
I have to walk the dog daily so that’s my daily exercise but have found my mild asthma slightly troublesome and think it’s not running and expanding my lungs to be the reason. I do kettlebell training which is great but it’s not the same.
I reckon I can justify a run each day as well as dog walk so might try from tomorrow
Give it a go, I’m sure you will be successful.

Dyffryn Sun 03-May-20 13:32:08

I am 64, I completed couch to 5k on two day ago. I have never felt fitter. It’s a brilliant programme.

Hilarybee Sun 03-May-20 13:33:55

I started running when I was 60. I’m 62 now. I had regretted not running with our previous dog and so when we got our field Spaniel I decided to give running with him a go. My husband has always run and he runs with me and he very kindly supervises the dog We are very fortunate to have woods nearby where we can run. I’m running 5k twice a week. The most important thing is to get a good pair of running trainers to help avoid injury.I don’t time myself as I am only running to keep fit and to enjoy running with my dog and if I start to time each run I could feel like I’d failed if I was slower than a previous run. I’m also not going to extend the distance to any longer than 5k so as to minimise the risk of injury

Liz1965 Sun 03-May-20 14:00:06

Hi, yes! Started it in January when away in camper van for the winter and wanted a fitness project. I loved the gradual sensible progress and used Michael Johnson’s voice as my motivator. All great. Unfortunately, and I am really not sure how, I hurt my knees and at the final hurdle have had to knock it on the head... hopefully not permanently... I was running 28 minutes three times per week... but, I don’t want to do anything to aggravate my knees so unless they get totally better I’m going to have to just continue with all my other fitness regimes! Good luck to you ?

Liz1965 Sun 03-May-20 14:13:50

Yes, I was away in camper van for the winter so downloaded the app to have a portable fitness project. I was really impressed with the sensible gradual plan and surprised to find myself actually enjoying it. Michael Johnson’s voice was great for motivation... Unfortunately though, I hurt my knees. ( I don’t know how), and frustratingly had to quit at the 28 mins 3x per week stage. Running seems to prevent recovery so I’ll have to wait until they’re completely better and just keep up with my low impact fitness regime. I just hope that it isn’t running that’s caused the problem. I’m 54, fit and normal weight.... good luck ?

GrannaKaye Sun 03-May-20 15:00:37

I started the program that was on here a little while ago and am about to start week 8. I am 64 and reasonably fit but with all the rec centres closed I needed to do something because I want to eat what I want. I was very pleasantly surprised (research on the internet) that women my age average 45 minutes to complete 5 km = 9 minutes a km. Have always considered myself very slow when I ran in the past but am completing 4 kms in just over 28 minutes = 7 minutes a km. Not usually a numbers person or competitive but was super motivational to find out that I wasn't a snail! Totally intend to keep it up!

chattykathy Sun 03-May-20 15:01:17

I started it 2 weeks ago but just run round the garden as I'm a bit self conscious to do it in the street. I haven't a huge garden either smile It's not too taxing but I am reasonably fit and active. I, too have mild asthma but it doesn't hinder me in fact exercise is the best thing for it! Have a go!

Stilllearning Sun 03-May-20 20:09:03

I did this 6 years ago when I turned 70
I was not fit at all and realised quickly that I needed motivation so I asked my children to sponsor me for a charity which they did. It was in December and the day I ran for 8 mins without stopping I was glad it was raining because I cried with joy!!
I completed the 5k on Christmas morning running with my daughter in the local Park Run. Needless to say I was last home but it was an amazing feeling so I would definitely say go for it, if you want to you will do it, Good Luck!

Rosiehaha Sun 03-May-20 22:03:24

There are a few apps which one is everybody using?

Stilllearning Sun 03-May-20 22:25:24

I used Couch to 5k, it’s a free NHS one

bikergran Mon 04-May-20 18:30:42

I looked at couch to 5k at the start of the year(thats as far as I got) how do you stop large bits bobbing about as you run confused

Whingingmom Mon 04-May-20 18:32:45

Matelda - that’s a great idea to start with. I do feel very self conscious out in public puffing and wobbling through my permitted once daily exercise. I’ll give this a try and then look at the NHS one. Many thanks.

Whingingmom Mon 04-May-20 18:34:20

Stillearning - what an achievement! Thanks for your motivating post!