Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

New low-carb thread for post lockdown.

(138 Posts)
Mamie Tue 23-Jun-20 17:47:09

Hello everyone. Have been asked to start a new low-carb thread for those with a few pounds to lose, so here goes.
We have had a very bizarre dietary lockdown involving helping our neighbour to use up her unsold egg surplus (24 a week for two of us), finishing up unidentified leftovers from the freezer (it isn't ratatouille it's tagine), eating produce from the garden in season (10 kilos of broad beans anyone?) and creating menus from the somewhat limited and bizarre offerings of French click and collect shopping (I ordered duck breasts not paté).
We are more or less back to normal now, so please join us, tell us what you are eating and help people lose that surplus weight.

Mamie Thu 25-Jun-20 12:24:31

Yes our courgette crop is calling for the spiralizer. ?
Today is an eggy sort of day. Lunch was avocado with hard-boiled egg mashed in mayo and dinner is salade niçoise.

DiscoGran Thu 25-Jun-20 12:33:41

I (and DH) have lost a stone and a half since Feb by following the 8 week blood sugar diet by Michael Mosley. It's not been easy, but we have managed to change our eating habits for the better.
I find it easier to eat healthily in the summer months. Don't know how we will do in the winter.

Riverwalk Thu 25-Jun-20 19:42:51

This morning I trotted off to newly-opened Peter Jones to buy a spiralizer but the queue was around the block, in 31 degrees. shock

I wasn't that desperate for courgetti!

Mamie Sun 28-Jun-20 11:14:59

I did a lunch yesterday of thinly sliced courgette baked in the oven with an egg, a dollop of crème fraîche and grated cheese mixed together and poured over, then more cheese on top. It was delicious. We had salmon with spinach last night and tonight is roast lamb with courgettes in a parcel.

BBbevan Sun 28-Jun-20 13:56:20

We are having home made shepherd’s pie with cauliflower topping , this evening. My courgettes are secretly growing whenever I go indoors. So Spag Bol with courgetti sometime soon.

Riverwalk Sun 28-Jun-20 14:33:16

For lunch I had lamb & aubergine stew, from the freezer, with minted yoghurt and salad.

I have courgettes coming tomorrow in my Ocado order, along with a spiralizer.

Dinner will be feta & gammon salad.

BBbevan Mon 29-Jun-20 09:58:44

Tonight we are having Mustard Bangers with buttered courgettes. It is a Jonno Proudfoot low carb recipe. I have his book which is full of unusual, tasty recipes. I think lunch might be a low carb ploughman’s. ie. no roll

Rosalyn69 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:30:02

There are some good low carb breads around.

Riverwalk Mon 29-Jun-20 11:24:34

Rosalyn the problem with bread of any sort is that it's just so handy and eatable. You can't in a moment of weakness eat a potato or pasta - you have to cook them, but with bread you just toast it, thicken with lovely butter and away you go!

I keep a sliced Hovis or similar in the freezer for when I have a carb craving - which I've had a few times during Lockdown, if I had a lovely sourdough loaf I'd scoff the lot.

BBbevan Mon 29-Jun-20 14:41:54

Lidl do a low GI loaf but no bread is better ???

Rosalyn69 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:51:30

Haha Riverwalk. It’s called willpower. I use it because my husband likes a sandwich for lunch. I can’t remember the last time I ate a sandwich. ?

Mamie Mon 29-Jun-20 15:49:00

Just doing a dish from my current favourite cookbook Zaitoun by Yasmin Khan.
Minced (leftover) lamb cooked with spices and pomegranate molasses. Scrape out flesh from courgettes, bake the shells and also the flesh separately in a small dish. Mash the cooked flesh with tahini, garlic and lemon juice. Put the mince mixture in the hollow courgette and the tahini mixture on top.

Riverwalk Tue 30-Jun-20 06:44:11

This is another tasty recipe from Yasmin Khan, chicken with sumac & red onions, minus the flatbread of course.

Recipe

Today I'm having harissa lamb shank, courtesy of Waitrose.

Riverwalk Tue 30-Jun-20 06:55:32

I've had a big breakfast of eggs, avocado and tomatoes - suppose I must now do a big walk hmm

Puzzler61 Tue 30-Jun-20 10:08:21

I make batches of ratatouille and really enjoy a meal of chunky cod, ratatouille and lemon&coriander cous cous.
(DH doesn’t like most fish so when I have that, he has a curry).

I hope it’s low carb (my meal, not his) but not really sure?

Mamie Tue 30-Jun-20 10:48:40

It is low-carb apart from the couscous. Cauliflower rice might work instead?

Riverwalk Tue 30-Jun-20 10:53:40

I'll be having cauliflower rice with my lamb shank - it's frozen and you just microwave it. I can't remember if I've had the particular brand before, so hope it's OK - some are better than others!

I don't have a good processor to make my own.

Mamie Tue 30-Jun-20 11:15:10

It is easy to make if you do have a food processor. Just blitz for a few seconds and cook in the microwave. I can't imagine French supermarkets ever selling cauliflower rice so needs must here. ?

Puzzler61 Tue 30-Jun-20 15:59:25

I’ll try that, thanks Mamie. I haven’t yet gained a “lockdown stone” but I ‘m almost half way to it!

Rosalyn69 Tue 30-Jun-20 16:09:53

I think cauliflower rice is quite carb heavy but it is better than rice.

Mamie Tue 30-Jun-20 16:56:52

Cauliflower rice only has 3g of carbs in 100g. It has 18 times fewer carbs than rice. We have a lot of cauliflower mash too, but you don't really see them here at thus time of year.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Jul-20 08:58:38

The frozen cauliflower rice was very good - useful to have in the freezer, particularly as it comes in 4 individual portion-size bags.

Cauliflower

I'm about to assemble the marinade for chicken with sumac and red onions - in the mood for a cookathon today!

Rosalyn69 Wed 01-Jul-20 10:07:27

Thanks Mamie. The cauliflower rice is lower in carbs than I thought.

Mamie Wed 01-Jul-20 11:10:05

Basically above ground vegetables are good, though you have to be careful with some squash. Below ground are carb heavier. We grow most of ours (36 raised beds ?) so tend to be pretty seasonal with what we eat. Lots of courgettes and thinnings of chard and spinach at the moment.
Lunch is salmon paté on avocado (we don't grow those ?) and dinner is spicy stuffed mackerel with salads.

Riverwalk Thu 02-Jul-20 11:32:58

I think the one honorable exception to below ground is celeriac, which is low-carb.