Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

New low-carb thread for post lockdown.

(138 Posts)
Mamie Tue 23-Jun-20 17:47:09

Hello everyone. Have been asked to start a new low-carb thread for those with a few pounds to lose, so here goes.
We have had a very bizarre dietary lockdown involving helping our neighbour to use up her unsold egg surplus (24 a week for two of us), finishing up unidentified leftovers from the freezer (it isn't ratatouille it's tagine), eating produce from the garden in season (10 kilos of broad beans anyone?) and creating menus from the somewhat limited and bizarre offerings of French click and collect shopping (I ordered duck breasts not paté).
We are more or less back to normal now, so please join us, tell us what you are eating and help people lose that surplus weight.

Mamie Sun 19-Jul-20 17:42:49

The sea was lovely and I had a good long swim. Back home to 28° ?
Despite the temperature we have just had roast chicken with roast courgettes and the first baby leeks from the garden.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 19-Jul-20 18:08:18

I am jealous, as we are as far away from the sea as you can be in England, and missing our Cornwall holidays, but........
I am vicariously enjoying all your delicious recipes smile

Riverwalk Wed 22-Jul-20 11:30:38

I'm afraid the last three days have been a bit carby to say the least!

I had lunch out each day - Sunday had my friend's delicious Singapore noodles, plus other goodies; Monday was a Middle-Eastern BBQ which was fine but who could resist a lovely big flatbread with all that lamb; and yesterday was bookclub lunch of pasta salad, and polenta cake!

Today all meals are under my control so lunch will be mackerel salad tonight rib-eye steak. smile

BBbevan Wed 22-Jul-20 13:09:27

Has anyone tried Oomi noodles? They say they are high protein, low carb. Might be good in stir fry etc . I have seen them in Sainsbury’s but wonder what they are like

Riverwalk Wed 22-Jul-20 13:39:01

I've tried them once - just checked on Ocado, seems I bought them last September, just the once!

They are lower in carbs, but still about 200 calories for a small 115g portion - but what put me off was they are made of fish protein which is OK if you're having them with a veg/fish dish, but I don't want fishy noodles with meatballs.

Irrational I know but prefer to just have courgetti.

BBbevan Thu 23-Jul-20 04:53:35

Thanks Riverwalk, I too will stick with courgetti. We had lovely Welsh lamb chops last night, with runner beans from the garden. I love having a garden big enough to grow stuff and then picking it just when I need it.

Mamie Thu 23-Jul-20 07:07:38

We are having courgetti bolognese tonight. Last night was barbecued tuna with salad and mustard mayo. They were rather large pieces of tuna so tuna salad for lunch today. Weather is still very hot and dry here and the watering is endless (36 raised beds). Spinach, tomatoes and salad are good, we are fighting flea beetle on the summer cauliflower, the peppers are coming but the aubergines are very slow. We have just had the first baby leeks.

BBbevan Thu 23-Jul-20 11:13:09

We are having cabbage carbonara this evening. Thinly sliced sweetheart cabbage used as spaghetti.
It has just started to rain here. Good for the garden though. We have to have something with runner beans tomorrow !!!

Greeneyedgirl Thu 23-Jul-20 11:35:53

I also eat carbs when someone else is cooking, but not so many opportunities for eating out at the mo sad.

The important thing is what you eat day to day isn’t it Riverwalk? We occasionally treat ourselves to pasta, rice and bread and a real treat will be chips, but our main diet is low carb and it’s easy to lose weight after a day or so indulging, and my blood sugar has remained stable.

I think those who say they can’t survive low carbing don’t realise that you can have delicious and inventive meals with few carbs, but we don’t survive totally carb free by any means.

avitorl Thu 23-Jul-20 11:44:32

I've lost 6lbs in 4 weeks with low Carb eating and have found it surprisingly easy,no hunger,no cravings and a more varied diet than before.
I had Greek yoghurt,blueberries and chopped walnuts for breakfast today,lovely.

Riverwalk Thu 23-Jul-20 12:04:50

Indeed Greeneyedgirl. I try to be an easy guest so will eat whatever I'm given as I'm not allergic to carbs but just endeavour to avoid rice, bread, pasta & potatoes.

Mamie and BB your kitchen gardens sound wonderful - I'm always impressed by those who grow their own produce as I can't even keep a basil plant alive for more than a week!

Today for lunch I'm having a ham & cheese salad, and tonight the ribeye steak which I didn't have last night.

I like the sound of cabbage carbonara.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 23-Jul-20 12:29:39

Well done avitor1. That weight loss sounds about what I lost in that time frame, and I gradually lost a stone over all. I have maintained this lower weight for at least 3 years on low carb and have a blood sugar in the normal range.

I can’t even manage a week with a plant Riverwalk before something kills or eats it! I agree about the cabbage carbonara, sounds great, another easy meal added to my repertoire.

Mamie Sun 26-Jul-20 14:26:26

We are having a lull in the very hot weather, so last night we had spicy mackerel with tomato salad and cucumber raita and tonight is slow-roasted herby belly pork with cauliflower mash and spinach.
We even got an hour of rain yesterday so the weetabix brown grass is now sprouting weeds. Back to 27° tomorrow and 34° by the end of the week.

BBbevan Sun 26-Jul-20 19:21:38

Gosh I wish we had something resembling hot weather. It has rained all day. We had chicken breast with courgette and pepper sticks this evening. I did the vegetables as Mamie had suggested up thread. With turmeric, cayenne pepper and cumin. I think I made the mix a tad strong. Glad I had yogurt for pudding to sooth my throat. DH thought they were great though. But then he can eat a vindaloo without breaking sweat.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Jul-20 12:40:17

Weather here has been variable but supposed to be 32C by Friday!

Mamie's spicy sticks are great aren't they BB - I often have minted yoghurt as a 'sauce' with such dishes so handy if you've overdone the spices.

Today will be bits & bobs salad for lunch and I'll take out some frozen stuffed peppers/courgettes for tonight.

BBbevan Tue 28-Jul-20 16:45:28

Riverwalk yes I thought about a cucumber raita afterwards.
Spag Bol this evening with edamame spaghetti.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 28-Jul-20 16:53:19

Frozen stuffed peppers, what a great idea. I am picking up all sorts if hints on here. I can’t get on with edamame pasta - I have tried, so real pasta is a very occasional treat in our house.

It’s a wonder we don’t look like cabbage and courgettes Perhaps we do ?. I use walnuts a lot and they are nice added to cabbage dishes.

Mamie Tue 28-Jul-20 17:47:56

We had barbecued sausages and salads tonight. Our butcher does fab pure pork sausages - we had three each tonight - espelette, fromage and curry (though they could have been hotter). We are now being told 39° by Friday. ? Too hot to barbecue I think. Yikes.

BBbevan Tue 28-Jul-20 19:14:48

I think we are going to be hot by Friday also. Very rare in SW Wales. Might have some sort of bbq and ask DD and SiL to supper.

Riverwalk Fri 31-Jul-20 10:19:36

I did an hour's walk at 08.00 and it was already 25C - up to 34C later!

Smoked salmon & scrambled eggs for breakfast; fried halloumi salad for lunch; and cod loin with something tonight.

Cabbage having been mentioned upthread I bought a small savoy - last night had half finely shredded and sauteed in butter and seasoning topped with crispy roast chicken thighs. Hadn't had cabbage for ages.

BBbevan Fri 31-Jul-20 11:10:39

We too are having smoked salmon and scrambled egg but for lunch. Crustless quiche and salad for supper. We only have breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. We do 16:8 fast during the week.

Theoddbird Fri 31-Jul-20 11:35:45

I have a keto vegan recipe book. The recipes are quite complicated som with things I had never heard of. think I will stick to weight watchers...hahaha

Mamie Fri 31-Jul-20 18:43:02

We had another morning at the beach, the sea was lovely but it was 30° by 11am.
Lunch was egg mayo and avocado and dinner was veal chops with green bean and tomato salad.

BBbevan Tue 04-Aug-20 17:18:08

Really cold and wet here, but warm weather forecast for Thursday
. Hallelujah! we have found a recipe for courgettes that DH actually requested today. Mamie’s courgette matchsticks with spices. We had them last week I think. Anyway I’m not complaining as we have a glut of courgettes and beans at the moment.
Thanks Mamie, It has always been difficult to get DH to enjoy vegetables. ???

Riverwalk Fri 07-Aug-20 07:29:47

Going to be 34C today and much of the same for the next few days so lots of salads in the offing, although I still like hot food on hot days!

I have a smoked gammon joint in the slow cooker, which I'll slice and portion and have some for lunch - the rest will go in the fridge and freezer. Tonight baked cod loin with what I don't know yet.