Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Help me shift this weight please

(74 Posts)
Itsnell Wed 01-Jul-20 09:47:29

Help. I can't seem to start a diet or keep to anything for more than a few days. I tell myself that this or that diet plan is going to be the one, but I don't stick to it and end up feeling a failure - someone who can't stick at anything. I try to eat a healthy diet. but I can’t shift my excess weight. I wish it would go by osmosis

I have put on two stone in the past year and at least a stone during lockdown
I really hate that I'm overweight
I'm fat, matronly, my clothes don't fit and feel unhealthy and I’m probably reducing my life expectancy.

What can I do to get myself going on a diet?

Fairyfeet Thu 02-Jul-20 13:10:54

Itsnell I found I lost weight by eating off smaller plates and cooking from scratch. I cook my normal food, but use Slimming World recipes found on Pinterest. The recipes just substitute high fat or sweet products with healthier versions that give the same effect. My sister in law suggested it to me, as she lost a lot of weight using this method. She fed the same food to her husband without him even being aware that he was eating healthier food. He didn’t need to loose weight, so was allowed larger portions and puddings. Good luck on your weight loss journey x

Fatarse54 Thu 02-Jul-20 13:20:16

Hello Itsnell, I feel for you . I had two heart attacks last year and it frightened the hell out of me. I was already very over weight and smoked! Stopped smoking the day of my heart attacks haven't touch one since but, I have put two more stones on ,lockdown hasn't helped. Like you I have been large all of my life, happily married for 44 years, mum to three boys and nanna to our little darling. But nothing fits so my husband and I are now eating healthily and in two weeks we are down , me by 11lbs and hubby 10 lbs!it's hard but I need to loose 70 lbs. Dont call it a diet call it healthy eating. Our food this past 16 days has been so colourful and tasty we have enjoyed it. After being a smoker for almost 50 years I've quit, now its time for the New and healthy me to emerge, don't give up, I am sure you don't have as much as me to shift. Good luck you can do it! Xx

lizzypopbottle Thu 02-Jul-20 13:20:58

Gave up! ?

Happyme Thu 02-Jul-20 13:38:55

Another one here for the 5:2 eating pattern.......don't actually consider it a diet!. When I have followed diets in the past I soon start craving the stuff I am not 'allowed'. Now I eat what I like for 4 or 5 days, usually over the weekend, and am strict in limiting myself to one small meal of something healthy and sensible on the other days. Works well for me and i find my capacity to eat large meals has shrunk, along with my stomach.

Corydal1s Thu 02-Jul-20 13:52:45

Hi I understand how difficult it is to lose weight especially in these times. Try to find EFT by Gary Craig on the internet. Don't be put off if his tapping looks strange, it really does work and helps to remove cravings and you to feel good about yourself. Takes a bit of practice but it really does work
EFT is emotional freedom technique.

Patticake123 Thu 02-Jul-20 13:57:28

I went to a slimming group around 40 years ago, was asked if I’d been naughty and eaten anything and spent the next 40+ years, rubbishing slimming groups and diets and asking why people couldn’t like me as I was. Roll forward and at a visit to the gp because of hip pain, he weighed me and offered me a free 12 week course at WW. I felt duty bound to go, in the 12 week period I lost around half a stone and met some really lovely people. Now 2 years on, I eventually lost just over 2 stone, have a great group of new friends, and would highly recommend WW to anyone who’ll listen. I didn’t cut out any foods, I cut down the amount and substituted healthier options. I am being absolutely honest, it was actually quite easy and I thank my gp for shoving me along to that first meeting. At the moment, you can join Zoom meetings, not as good but better than nothing. Good luck, you’ll feel great!

Furret Thu 02-Jul-20 14:35:01

Change one thing.

Kim19 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:15:51

I have pleasant experience of this. Lost 4 stones eight years ago and have managed to keep it off. One of the tips I implemented, I found on here. Think it was called the 8:16. General idea was to eat for eight hours and absolutely nothing for the remaining 16 of any day. No item of food is out of bounds. Sensible and gradual reduction of portions is good and has become my natural way of life. My aim was to lose 'only' 1lb per week consistently. Weighed myself every day. Still do. Very encouraging/helpful. Luckily, I had reasonably good health and managed a walk (hourish) every day. I can now run! Even raced GC. I live alone and usually snack whimsically but seldom have a full meal other than when I lunch with friends. Missing this hugely, of course. Someone here said it is a whole different way of life. True. I smile when I think of the then and now of my eating practices. Honestly....painless but I think that was mostly due to the fact that I denied myself nothing. Just less of 'whatever'. Think prohibition might bring out the worst in me! Good luck. I wish you utmost success. It has been life changing for me.

Candelle Thu 02-Jul-20 15:21:46

You will hate me for saying this but I have 'been there and done that' and write from experience.

Eat less
Exercise more
Don't buy anything 'wrong' (you know what they are!) - if it is not in the house, you can't eat it
Do have a small something for a once a day treat

Easy? Except that it is not. I have been trying to lose weight again and am doing well but for the last four weeks it has refused to budge into the next lower band; it's hovering on 0.2 which is very frustrating mentally and it is this which is also so important.

I could become very demotivated thinking that the weight won't ever budge but sensibly, if I follow all the maxims above, it will, so I must be strong... that's the key.

Be honest with yourself, move about more, eat less and it'll come off as if by magic. No silly diets are necessary just choose your food wisely and have less of it.

Good luck!

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 15:22:24

Furret

Change one thing.

That does work to a certain extent.

However, I think it becomes more difficult as you get older and/or can't exercise as much as you used to.

When I was first married I cooked to impress my new DH and put on a little weight. In those days I took sugar in tea and coffee and by cutting that out I lost the weight again.
I've tried cutting out anything wheat related, starting with bread and that worked at first.

I'm not sure what to cut out next.

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 15:23:20

ps I've taught him to cook since then before anyone picks me up on that!

NanKate Thu 02-Jul-20 17:29:50

Apologies Itsnell just seen you have already joined us on I’m a Pear the Sequel. Good move.

Nomadics Thu 02-Jul-20 21:15:18

I've put a stone and feel awful my lovely clothes don't fit. I'm going to reduce the sugar and carbs starting next Monday. I'd like company.

moggie57 Thu 02-Jul-20 22:20:53

i put on weight too. but now i buy mini cucumbers from m&s .when i feel peckish i snack on them ...after an evening meal go for a walk .even if its round the block .dont eat after 7pm ...just water till the morning...keep plenty of homemade popcorn (not the sticky sweet stuff)

FarawayGran Fri 03-Jul-20 05:30:13

I have found that I can't stick to any diet, because I get hungry and then raid the biscuit box (yes, I know if you don't buy it you cant eat it) but I discovered that eating bread is my downfall. Any bread - wholemeal and healthy- make me feel hungry. If I switch to Ryvita or oatcakes I can eat less of other food. I have a healthy diet but it goes to pot if I eat bread, or anything containing wheat. I was told I have an intolerance.
Sadly though, I miss eating bread/cakes and biscuits but it is worth it to shift the pounds

Loislovesstewie Fri 03-Jul-20 05:44:40

I do low carb as the other half has to ( it keeps type 2 diabetes at bay) ; so no cakes, biscuits,pastry, potatoes etc. I also only eat in an 8 hour window as I have this odd idea that it stops too much insulin being released into the bloodstream and gives the stomach a rest. It isn't a diet but a lifestyle and I believe that is the key. I am in the healthy BMI range and want to keep that way. Ultimately you have to eat less fuel( food) and use more energy , so finding some way of doing that is the key. And willpower, after a while I think it gets easier but the first week or so I did miss sweet things , then it got a lot easier.

rozina Fri 03-Jul-20 21:16:36

Nomadics, I'll join you. Do you have a good diet sheet?

Shropshirelass Sun 05-Jul-20 09:42:21

I follow the Ketogenic way of eating, it suits me and I do not have excess weight and no age related illnesses. Sugar and carbohydrates are poisoning our bodies, we do not need them. I am in my late 60's and have more energy than before, my arthritis has all but gone. It is not a diet but a lifestyle change to the way you eat. There is also the Pioppi way of eating. Google Dr Aseem Malhotra. He is an eminent cardiologist, very interesting. Good luck.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 05-Jul-20 10:04:33

Short term diets don’t work in the long run. There wouldn’t be such a diet industry and diet books galore if they did.

I think being over weight is multi factorial. There’s no doubt that some people are genetically programmed to gain weight easily and have to be careful, whilst others can eat more.

Our lifestyle these days doesn’t help, many trips in the car, and much more choice of food, and fast food, than when I was young. I can only think of one fat kid when I was in school.

There’s also no doubt that high carb sugary food is addictive and readily available. It takes a whole change of lifestyle, and most importantly support to break eating habits, which has to be for life.

Being diagnosed with diabetes type2, or having a heart attack can be a great motivator sad

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Jul-20 11:31:34

It’s bleeding obvious, of course, but you just have to find what suits you, your temperament and lifestyle. For me, the 5:2 is it. I’ve been doing it since it hit the headlines years ago (I’m not even sure how many!) and it’s just normal life to me now. I love my food and drink, and eat heartily five days a week, no miserable calorie or carb or point counting, no small plates, no guilt, no denying myself. On the other two I eat one healthy meal only, though some split the calories over two or three very small meals. I don’t find it at all arduous and it’s really made me appreciate my food more. I lost a stone easily in the first weeks, but am now just maintaining my present weight, which I’m happy with - if I wanted to go lower I’d simply add a third fast day for a while. The 5:2 has added health benefits too - my blood pressure and cholesterol level dropped significantly after a few months, and have stayed down.

Exercise is crucial though, if you can do it. There are so many workouts on YouTube these days, suitable for most abilities. Michael Mosley, the 5:2 man, has easy options there too. He advises two brisk daily walks of just ten minutes - again there are online power walking videos if you want to do them indoors - and exercise snacking, which takes just a few minutes.

I hope you find what works for you!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 05-Jul-20 17:04:30

That’s great Maggie that you have found something that works for you, has positive health benefits, and is a lifestyle change which you find easy to maintain.

I think that is the key, not short term calorie counting, but a way of eating that does not feel as if you are depriving yourself and lose any pleasure in eating, and try to incorporate more activity.

I love food, but because I was pre diabetic, for the last 3 years have followed a low carb diet, and really enjoy my variety of meals, and a beer too. My weight and blood sugar is in the normal range.

beautybumble Sat 11-Jul-20 22:48:02

Read 'Eat To Live' by Joel Fuhrman.

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:49:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.