Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Safe to return to the gym?

(52 Posts)
Reader56 Tue 18-Aug-20 16:15:14

Sorry if this has already been discussed, couldn’t find a thread anyway. Before lockdown I went to the sports centre 3 times weekly without fail, doing about 45 minutes of free weights/ machines in the gym and several classes on each visit - mostly low key stuff like pilates, stretch and meditate etc. It was also a social thing, a group of us always had a coffee and chat before leaving. So of course I’ve had to get a new routine of home workouts, having sourced kettlebells, dumbells, bands etc and it’s been ok but I do miss the gym. I’m considering going back in September but none of my friends are ready to return yet- so am I being foolhardy, taking a big risk do you think? I’m 71, fit and healthy, not overweight and have no co-morbidities. I know it’s ultimately my decision, just wondered what others are doing.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-Aug-20 16:35:04

This is my third week back at our local gym.
Appointments / bookings only, smaller classes, fewer allowed in main gym area.

Weights equipment cleaned between each user and screens between bikes.

They have utilised the outside quad with a canopy which has rowing machines and bikes.

Instead of having a coffee and chat in the foyer our group of friends get a takeaway and sit in the park for our chats.

Feel totally happy with the Covid arrangements.

Jane10 Tue 18-Aug-20 16:37:53

I'm desperate to get back to Aquafit. I'm seizing up in all my joints. Just wish a way could be found for us to access the pool again.

NotTooOld Tue 18-Aug-20 17:11:32

I'm missing badminton but don't feel it's safe at the moment. The village hall where we play is small and has nowhere to wait between games which allows for social distancing. The friends I play with feel the same so we are just waiting it out.

Sunlover Tue 18-Aug-20 17:43:04

I’m back to my classes and swimming. Smaller numbers and lots of precautions in place. Feel totally safe.

Davida1968 Tue 18-Aug-20 17:51:48

I'm back to a (well-managed) class, in a large, spacious and airy "arena", with a limited number of participants and all social distancing made very clear. I take my own mat and we exit via a side-door, directly to the outside., However I am not returning to the pool at present, though it's open. Nor is DH returning to the gym. We simply don't feel that they are "safe" enough.

polnan Wed 19-Aug-20 09:30:00

I am returning, gradually, to our local church and meetings there,, today, our first get together at the Craft Club.
building is deep cleaned, social distancing, and masks at Church meetings..

what I don`t understand is how pubs can be open as they are?
and the latest, that 200 people meeting in Manchester, the organiser ONLY got find £100,, should be £1000 imo.

jaylucy Wed 19-Aug-20 09:32:24

I think that you need to visit your gym and see what processes they have brought in. There are certain regulations that they need to be following so it would help for you to see for yourself, masked of course , to see what your local gym has done to try to ensure your safety. Give them a call and have a chat at the very least.

optimist Wed 19-Aug-20 09:37:45

I have switched from my usual indoor pool to a local outdoor pool for the moment, 4 x aqua aerobics classes a week. For the moment I am loving it, even in the rain, although no changing rooms so dressing is a challenge!

Rose30 Wed 19-Aug-20 09:38:53

I've booked a session at my pool today. They offer 20 spaces per hour but only about 3 booked for each session. Will see how I feel afterwards! They did say chlorine kills the virus right at the start.......is that still the thinking?

Tiggersuki Wed 19-Aug-20 09:44:40

my problem is not being able to swim in the pool.
Doing Zoom Yoga and Pilates has been good and both may return to studios in September but with far reduced people and much raised costs of course.
We do live close to the sea in Devon but truly vast numbers of visitors (who frequently do not wear masks and argue this is because we are a Covid free area...for now!!) puts me off and while I do ocassionally sea swim I prefer it to be calm and little wind and no rain so consequently I have swum very little . No idea when or if either of our closest pools will open as though the gyms opened the pools did not. My son lives in Hertfordshire and their pools are open on a bookable basis to keep numbers low.

Mrskipling Wed 19-Aug-20 09:46:48

I haven't been back yet. I do miss it but I'm not willing to take risks. I mainly miss the rowing machine and the swimming pool. The other things I can replicate at home with dumbbells, resistance bands, my bike and just walking.

I'm interested in people mentioning the outdoor pool. There is an outdoor pool near me but it's at a private club and costs several times as much as my current membership at the council-run gym/pool. Is there evidence that an outdoor pool is safer? I might consider going to the posh place for perhaps one year if it meant being able to safely swim again.

Mollygo Wed 19-Aug-20 09:49:07

Back already-such a relief.
Very strict distancing, spray and wipe down, limited places and only pre-booked, so reassuring.

BStP Wed 19-Aug-20 09:49:21

I have returned to smaller pilate classes at local gym. Classes smaller and you enter and exit in way to avoid the few allowed in each hour to use machines etc. Went swimming for first time and was only one in 17metre 4 laned pool..it was bliss and I felt v safe

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 19-Aug-20 09:49:59

We always did the gym and swimming. Our pool isn’t open yet, and we don’t fancy going to the gym either, unless we know for sure, that all the air conditioning also filters out the virus, like on planes, and that no one will cough or sweat!! Likelihood of that very low, so giving it a miss for now.

Rosiebee Wed 19-Aug-20 09:54:53

I've been back swimming at our local health club for 3 weeks. You need to book in and everything is clean and well organised. It's also mostly very quiet. Jacuzzi, steam and sauna areas all closed. DH goes to gym and that is also well set up. No classes as far as I can make out. It would be worth visiting your place to see what is happening. I am so pleased to be back. Sadly boiler has died, so we're down to cold showers for time being. Bracing!!!

Gymstagran Wed 19-Aug-20 09:56:34

I've been back to my gym for the last 3 weeks. Booked sessions with a limit on numbers. Machines spaced out and cleaned before and after use, one way system, windows open. The only concern I have is with air con. When its off I feel safe. I've raise the question with the gym operators and am waiting for a response.

Taliya Wed 19-Aug-20 09:59:25

If you want to then go to the gym. It's far better for your immune system to be happy and fit and healthy. You can't live your life worrying all the time about risks. As you say, you are not obese and have been fit and healthy for your age. I think the media have frightened people so much and that has caused a lot of anxiety and that is really not good for your health.

hapgran Wed 19-Aug-20 10:03:23

As others have said, back already and I feel the safety arrangements are good and well managed.

fifeywifey Wed 19-Aug-20 10:05:53

I'm not sure about returning to the aquagym when it re-openes. It isn't being in the actual pool which concerns me but the changing areas do. With dampness and heat in the changing areas I would think cubicles are a breeding ground for any germs. I will have to wait and see what cleaning measures will be put in place then take a call on it.

winifred01 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:12:09

Returned to pool 3 weeks ago, swimming 2-3 times a week
We have an app and book each session. Only 4 allowed at a time
Husband has gym sessions, all well organized, feel quite safe. No showers as yet but still worth going. A bit of a laugh, missed the music when swimming, was told they were not allowed as singing,would increase risk of infection! Do you sing when swimming? I don't!

Minerva Wed 19-Aug-20 10:19:24

I’m going for a swim tomorrow, at dusk, outdoors. So excited.

Babs758 Wed 19-Aug-20 10:19:48

I am back swimming at my local club. Reduced sessions and pre booking. The only shower in use is by the pool. The showers in the changing rooms can’t be used. The swimming pool area has good high ceilings and the doors are open to the outside. I book the last session so there are usually 2-3 of us. I bought a cheap towelling robe with a hood for £30 and arrive with my costume on. The only thing that goes into the changing room lockers are my outdoor shoes. I dry off by the pool and put the robe on. Currently I drive home slightly damp in my towelling robe! I might have to revise that as winter approaches. The gym is open but very few people are using it atm. Tennis and golf very popular.

Chocgran Wed 19-Aug-20 10:25:07

I haven’t gone back to my gym yet but am continuing my membership for the time being. My son has gone back and assures me all the safety measures are in place which I can believe as it’s always spotlessly clean and well managed, but the bits I really enjoy ( sauna, jacuzzi etc) remain closed. I have been doing lots of online classes and to be honest I don’t miss the cliquey attitude of some of the members there- having “their own spot”in classes and making passive aggressive comments if anyone new innocently encroached on “their “ space.

kwest Wed 19-Aug-20 10:28:01

Not going back yet and gym have advised another 3 months off for over 70s unless they personally express a wish to return.
In the next road to my gym there is a cake factory with a big outbreak of covid 19. I think it would be asking for trouble to go back at the moment and pretty foolish to buy cakes from th e major supermarkets supplied by this factory.