Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Overweight Husbands

(84 Posts)
ExD Sat 19-Sep-20 12:05:49

My DH is always hungry. He's also massively overweight but will not weigh himself, though I suspect he's over 20 stone so the household scales won't weigh him will they?
He has dieted in the past, after being prescribed a 12 week course with Slimming World by his GP, but since covid he's just gone silly and eaten everything in sight.
I do sympathise with his appetite - he doesn't seem to have an 'off' button. I daren't batch-cook and leave the second half to cool because he'll help himself to it and easily polish off what I was intending to freeze for another day. But its driving me mad.
Apart from the health issues, he looks a MESS, nothing like the fit young man I married over 50 years ago sad
Can anyone recommend a book of tasty, bulky, low calorie recipes - or suggest your favourites perhaps? I did start buying Slimming World frozen ready meals from Iceland, thinking if I gave him one of these every evening it would be somewhere to start, but he was still hungry afterwards, and he's not keen on curries and pasta being a boring meat and 3 veg man.
I'm lucky that I don't have a problem myself, being slightly underweight, so I make a point of never eating fattening goodies in front of him, but it means I don't really understand his need to eat so much.
If he knows I'm trying to cut his intake he goes off and buys sausage rolls or mars bars - so I need to be careful.

ps - don't suggest the 'sit him down and discuss' it with him stressing the health issue - got several tee-shirts for that one.

Ideas for tasty, bulky, low calorie meals would be welcome

Katie59 Fri 05-Feb-21 08:00:51

PamelaJ1

Katie then you are getting something wrong. If you eat fewer calories than you need then you lose weight.
What are you doing that you can change?

I’m eating less than 1000 calories a day lots of salads very few carbs and hardly any alcohol, I’ve always been a heavy build and 4 children didn’t help.
My health is very good, no issues at all, when so many friends have serious problems, although I would love to be slimmer I don’t have a hang up about it.

JackA2021 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:38:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Feb-21 10:18:52

katie sorry, I thought that you were trying to lose weight but unsuccessfully. Just wondered if there was anything you could think of that you could change. If you are happy with your weight then there is no issue.

If you are only eating 1000 call a day then perhaps you have a very low metabolic rate.

ExD Sat 06-Feb-21 18:43:25

Monica your story makes mine seem trivial and you are dealing with it really well. I've settled in my mind to continue with what I can control ( meals and no snacks in the house) and ignore what is out of control Good wishes

M0nica Sun 07-Feb-21 09:37:03

ExD Your story was my story until November. Perhaps it can act as a dreadful warning.

Witzend Sun 07-Feb-21 09:49:30

Very difficult, OP.
The dh of a friend of mine was similar. If she didn’t buy the things he liked - pies, cakes, sausage rolls etc. , he’d just go and buy them himself.
She would get very irritated when people said, ‘Oh, you really shouldn’t let him eat this or that’ - how on earth was she supposed to stop him buying them for himself?
Plus, he could get extremely stroppy if anyone crossed him at all.

Blinko Mon 08-Feb-21 08:26:00

I showed DH this thread, M0nica's posts in particular. Since then (last week) he has made a conscious effort and is working with his SW consultant to get the weight off. He has even given up his nightly couple of glasses of wine so there's some hope it will work. For how long, I live in hope...

Thanks for this thread (and especially to M0nica ) for sharing your experiences and helping me to help him.

zalifiahw Thu 01-Jul-21 10:03:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.