Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Are you moving enough?

(53 Posts)
tanith Mon 28-Dec-20 12:44:20

In lockdown again I’m worrying that the things I’m doing to keep myself occupied are all things I need to sit for. Reading, embroidery, iPad, tv mostly I sit for. I do walk for an hour or so every day and spread chores throughout the day, I’ve just been up to make the bed and in an hour I’ll go and clean the bathroom, I walk about if I’m on the phone and and sometimes have a mad few minutes marching round the house or I’ll potter around the garden but it still feels like I’m sitting for an awful long part of the day.
I usually hit my 10K steps a day but I’m sure some of that is arm movement being counted.

What do you do to stop yourself sitting too much?

Iam64 Mon 28-Dec-20 12:49:51

Similar to you tanith. I walk every morning for about an hour. Spend about an hour on domestic stuff (the kitchen surfaces and floor always demand time).
I walk again at tea time for about 20 - 30 minutes. I have a young dog so two walks a day is beneficial for her, and for me.
It's a lovely bright day here and I'd like to do some garden tidying but everywhere is so wet that's a none starter.
Scrabble?

Galaxy Mon 28-Dec-20 12:52:40

I am missing pottering in the garden I go out in any weather but the ground is just too muddy and wet.

grannyactivist Mon 28-Dec-20 12:55:15

No - I'm definitely not getting enough exercise. Today I've dug out my Fitbit and if I can tear myself away from the fire I shall try to get up to 7000 steps. I used to aim for 10k a day, but I'm being realistic as it's so long since I've been active. I'm also extremely overweight and I know that come early January I have to tackle both issues so that when I've had the vaccine I can resume life without being fat and unfit!

EllanVannin Mon 28-Dec-20 12:55:28

I know I'm not moving enough as when I come to do the hoovering,. it really gets to the small of my back and that never happened before. I carry on struggling and forcing myself to finish it, then plonk myself down for the rest of the day.
It's become a catch 22 situation in that the more my back gives me gip through lack of movement the less I'm going to do and so the problem continues. I was quite supple before being " confined to barracks ". Motivation isn't there either.

Beechnut Mon 28-Dec-20 12:59:32

I’m much the same as grannyactivist. I’ve just ventured up to the compost heap and feel it was too much ?
Tomorrow I MUST get out my cycle pedals.......and when dry my bike.

Casdon Mon 28-Dec-20 13:06:44

I’m feeling a ‘New Year let’s get fitter together‘ thread coming on, I definitely need it too. The wind the other day has finished off my old shed, so come 4th January dismantling that is my first physical task of the new year.

TerriBull Mon 28-Dec-20 13:12:30

Probably not enough! I did have gym membership pre Covid and hopefully will again when normality resumes. I try to do an hour's walk every day, but it was horrible yesterday so we didn't get out. Walked into nearby town today to buy some bread, at least on the pavement it wasn't muddy underfoot but not as nice as a park walk. Other than that, I do a bit of yoga on line and domestic chores such as cooking, ironing etc., but honestly all of those don't add up to nearly enough I imagine. Christmas tends to be a period of inactivity and too much to eat. Will try and do better next year, but always say that to myself as the year draws to a close.

tanith Mon 28-Dec-20 13:17:00

It seems I’m not alone, but I’m flummoxed as to how not to sit for so long. I can’t stand to read or sew and I am trying to eke out my daily chores over the day but there are so many hours to fill when you can’t go anywhere or have visitors I’m really struggling with lack of activity that makes me move.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Dec-20 13:19:26

Interesting question tanith.

Pre-Covid, my GP asked what exercise I do, I proudly said a daily brisk 60-90 minute walk - her reply was, is that all?

This morning I did 60 minutes in 2C and felt very virtuous when I returned as I really didn't want to do it!

Expect I really need to do a bit more.

Oldbutstilluseful Mon 28-Dec-20 13:20:45

EllanVannin, thank you, you’ve described my life to a tee. It is so good to know someone else feels exactly the same. I hope you feel more motivated and have less pain very soon.

Fingers crossed for a better 2021.

Urmstongran Mon 28-Dec-20 13:56:51

I know I’m not.
?

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Dec-20 14:48:03

Nope, not nearly enough, lassitude has descended, I’m taking stay home literally today it’s cold and sleety.

lemongrove Mon 28-Dec-20 14:54:55

Same as everyone else.....not enough.On a wet chilly day what can we do? Eventually life will return to normal though.

Blinko Mon 28-Dec-20 14:57:44

I'm the same. I spend an hour a day walking with a friend and her hound. Then pottering around doing chores till after lunch, then just sitting all afternoon and evening. Till we can get out and about again, (out, out - Mickey Flanagan) that seems to be all anyone can do.

The thing is, I do get tired in an afternoon anyway. Anyone else?

Flicker Mon 28-Dec-20 15:01:40

Same as you all!
I walk for 1.5 - 2 hours per day with dogs, but thats it.
I have always been very fkexible and supple, but that us fast disappearing, so will need to start the dreaded 'exercise routine'.

Callistemon Mon 28-Dec-20 15:22:20

No, I'm not.

I need a dog but a dog is for life, not just for lockdown and we are a) too old and b) will want to go away again when all this is over.

Today, doing laundry: bend, stretch, bend, stretch a few times.
Unpacking the grocery shop -- ditto --
Up and down stairs twice.
A bit of everyday cleaning (it's BH Monday)

aggie Mon 28-Dec-20 15:27:40

Thanks jaxjacky needed that word for my crossword ???

hollysteers Mon 28-Dec-20 15:30:52

I’m the laziest I’ve ever been, but it’s not my fault is it? It’s COVID’s fault ?Excuses, excuses. I know I’m plumper around the waist. First lockdown I carried on Yoga, walking, dancing round the house to pop music and cycling. At the moment, I do a little job then make for my comfy chair, iPad and books. The cat constantly asleep on my lap is also to blame.

Gymstagran Mon 28-Dec-20 17:07:58

I'm definately not moving enough. I do go for a long walk each day except when it is pouring with rain and go up and down stairs tidying etc. I've set up my fitbit to remind me to walk at least 250 steps every hour for 9 hours a day. But I'm still not reaching my target on many days. I find the short hours of daylight and cold really put me off. I walk when talking on the phone but I would also love some ideas to increase movement.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Dec-20 17:11:07

aggie you’re welcome!

AGAA4 Mon 28-Dec-20 17:14:30

I have a painful knee so my morning walk doesn't happen. I have not done much at all over the last week as advised to rest knee.

Iam64 Mon 28-Dec-20 21:02:13

Riverwalk - what an unpleasant comment from your doctor

Juliet27 Mon 28-Dec-20 21:14:34

This thread has brought home to me that I definitely sit around far too much. My GP asked if I run but I admitted that I have two flights of stairs and a bad memory so my exercise is forever running up and down remembering what I meant to collect or deliver. I have a dog but he too is becoming reluctant to go out if the weather’s bad. Motivation is needed.

janeainsworth Mon 28-Dec-20 21:21:22

Tanith I’m a recent convert to Tai Chi. I’d started going classes but they’re cancelled now until restrictions are lifted.
Our teacher recommended Dr Paul
Lam’s videos.
Very easy to follow and very relaxing - I think you could do it even without having been to a class before.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=tAOuEpa01j4