Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Talking Balls

(69 Posts)
Skallagrigg Sun 24-Jan-21 14:51:33

Hi With the heavy snow this morning here in Rutland, decided to exercise indoors today using my swiss ball. Have had one for years but have found it has come in really handy since lockdown because you do not have to have loads of space. I have a lower back problem and find them a help with certain stability excercises. Anyone else a fan.

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-Jan-21 12:39:20

Callistemon I really do not see how it would improve your balance problems. If it was a non-movable object, perhaps but this thing rolls with the slightest touch.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 12:39:21

Chewbacca

I had no idea the Swiss were famous for balls. Everyday's a school day on GN.

Chewbacca how could you not know!

That's why I immediately thought of chocolate; there are loads of Swiss balls (would I be advertising if I named the brand?)

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 12:41:27

You're right, I think Charleygirl. Years ago I had physio which involved standing on a wobbly stool which was supposed to improve balance, it wasn't much fun.

Perhaps the Swiss ball is supposed to help your core muscles if you sit on it?

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 13:23:21

Callistemon

Chewbacca

I had no idea the Swiss were famous for balls. Everyday's a school day on GN.

Chewbacca how could you not know!

That's why I immediately thought of chocolate; there are loads of Swiss balls (would I be advertising if I named the brand?)

In Sainsbury’s they sell these as a pick and mix thing. (The roger federer advertised Chocolate items I mean ) I can never go to Sainsbury’s again for fear of temptation.

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 13:24:20

I think daughter in law has one and has used it to sit on and work ?

lemongrove Tue 26-Jan-21 13:28:37

Callistemon

It's fine, Lisagran, I don't mind at all.
I have put on a couple of pounds in lockdown though.

Only a couple???

lemongrove Tue 26-Jan-21 13:30:37

Think I would prefer a go on a space hopper, at keast you get somewhere.Or a pogo stick.

lemongrove Tue 26-Jan-21 13:32:22

Least!

Skallagrigg Tue 26-Jan-21 14:40:08

Just caught up with the thread and found all the posts really amusing. Years ago they ran classes so you learned how to keep your balance on them. We would all have a good laugh and no one did them self a mischief. My pelvic floor needs all the help it can get.

Grannynannywanny Tue 26-Jan-21 14:58:27

This gave me a chuckle when a friend sent it a while back ?

grannyactivist Tue 26-Jan-21 15:05:16

My husband has replaced his home office chair with one! He loves it and looks like he's got a poker up his jumper when he's sitting on it so it's obviously good for his posture. grin

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 15:38:58

lemongrove

Think I would prefer a go on a space hopper, at keast you get somewhere.Or a pogo stick.

At least with a space hopper there's something to hang on to.
They're antennae, aren't they, not ears as I said earlier!

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 15:40:52

Only a couple? ??

Could be a few more, thanks to the Swiss balls at Christmas (the other kind).
They were on offer.

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:04:39

If I was in that photo I would need a zimmer frame in front of me for safety.

Whiff Tue 26-Jan-21 16:41:49

Lisagran thank you for the pic. My daughter has one she used it a lot while pregnant for her back. At least I now what it's called and not mommy's big ball as my grandson calls it. First time he said it thought that's what he called her tummy. ?

Jillyjosie Tue 26-Jan-21 16:44:20

You'd probably have attracted fewer jokes if you'd posted this under health 'skallagrigg'.
For the few who care, this is a good article, www.openfit.com/exercise-ball-workouts
Working on your core muscles means you can get up from an armchair without using your arms, do your shopping without leaning on your trolley, keep your back strong and help beat incontinence.

crazyH Tue 26-Jan-21 16:52:05

Not going anywhere near anything to do with exercise- went on the walking machine yesterday, the one that the kids got me for Xmas - last night, I couldn’t sleep due to a severe pain right down my right leg - I’m not telling the children .....mind you, it could be something else, but methinks it’s the walking machine ? going to stick to walking round the cul de sac, when I’m able to ....

Smileless2012 Tue 26-Jan-21 17:02:30

They're a great aid to strengthening your core and as Jillyjosie has posted keep your back strong which helps/improves posture substantially reducing lower back problems.

Skallagrigg Tue 26-Jan-21 19:02:35

JillyJosie I have enjoyed reading the silly jokes on the thread, I think at the moment we need things to make us smile. I am a great fan of the stability ball, but no way do I look like the ladies in the pic. I wish. I would like to point out that they do come in different sizes. depending on your height because dare I say it they did seem a little large in the picture

SuzannahM Tue 26-Jan-21 19:15:43

I have a balance (Swiss) ball. Don't use it much at the moment.

About 15 years ago I got the bends while scuba diving in the North Sea, which gave me a spinal embolism and I lost the use of the muscles in one of my legs. I worked with a gym instructor for two years to get my balance back and retrain the muscles in my legs and back. A lot of the exercises involved the balance ball and hand and leg weights, which allowed me to work one leg differently to the other. Brilliant for core exercises too.

Chewbacca Tue 26-Jan-21 19:25:41

They're a great aid to strengthening your core Can they be used whilst sitting on the sofa stuffing my face with Hobnobs Smileless ?

Blossoming Tue 26-Jan-21 19:35:39

Chewbacca

^They're a great aid to strengthening your core^ Can they be used whilst sitting on the sofa stuffing my face with Hobnobs Smileless ?

Yes, they make great foot rests. Let a little air out so they’re slightly squishy ?

Smileless2012 Tue 26-Jan-21 19:40:19

Well you could try sitting on the ball, using your abdominal muscles to keep still and balanced while simultaneously eating Hobnobs Chewbaccagrin.

hmmI might fit that into my exercise routine.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 19:41:43

No, Hobnobs are not allowed, Swiss Balls are best (the truffle ones).

I can't advertise the Lindt ones as I'm sure Aldi will be on my case

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 19:43:15

Besides which, Hobnobbing is forbidden under Covid rules.