Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Talking Balls

(69 Posts)
Skallagrigg Sun 24-Jan-21 14:51:33

Hi With the heavy snow this morning here in Rutland, decided to exercise indoors today using my swiss ball. Have had one for years but have found it has come in really handy since lockdown because you do not have to have loads of space. I have a lower back problem and find them a help with certain stability excercises. Anyone else a fan.

mokryna Tue 26-Jan-21 20:03:29

They are also good to help strengthen hamstring muscles when knees are a problem and can’t do swats.

Lisagran Tue 26-Jan-21 20:13:25

Swats or squats?

mokryna Tue 26-Jan-21 20:15:15

?? oh dear

Saetana Wed 27-Jan-21 09:05:57

I've got one (never heard it called a Swiss Ball though) but have always been nervous of using it as I need to drop 40 pounds and worried about the thing bursting grin

Saetana Wed 27-Jan-21 09:08:17

Lisagran I had a few thoughts when I saw your post lol - but probably too much information about my predilictions grin

Alioop Wed 27-Jan-21 09:35:08

As I'm getting ready for the Big Birdwatch this weekend I was thinking this might of been about fatballs....that pic has me exhausted looking at it. I'll keep walking my dog as I think I'd cause myself damage with one of those.

leeds22 Wed 27-Jan-21 10:04:33

I went to an exercise class using the Swiss ball. Made such a balls of it I had to leave in embarrassment.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Jan-21 10:08:43

I’ve always thought they were called yoga balls. They are good for core strength as you can do so many exercise with them.

DD bounced gently on hers in early stages of her labours!

Daffydilly Wed 27-Jan-21 10:23:12

@Skallagrig, I love your name. Is it from the book? I read it years ago and have never forgotten it (clearly).

Nannan2 Wed 27-Jan-21 10:35:40

Thought they were just called exercise balls?...

grandtanteJE65 Wed 27-Jan-21 11:01:46

And here was I thinking of quite different balls!

Aepgirl Wed 27-Jan-21 11:56:58

If it’s an Italian invention, why is it called a Swiss ball?

Nanatoone Wed 27-Jan-21 13:40:37

I once burst one in the gym, I wasn’t even fat at the time but never again!

Lisagran Wed 27-Jan-21 13:56:06

Aepgirl

If it’s an Italian invention, why is it called a Swiss ball?

Remarkably given its popular name, the Swiss Ball is actually an Italian creation. In the early 1960s, Aquilino Cosani, an Italian plastics manufacturer created what he termed the ‘Pezzi Ball’, a large inflatable ball whose sole purpose was to aid in gymnastic exercise.

Unbeknownst to Cosani at the time, his ‘Pezzi Ball’ would have much wider applications than gymnastics. Within a decade of his creation, Cosani’s invention was being used by physical therapists across Europe for a range of different applications from cerebral palsy to spinal injuries. Particularly influential in the growth of the Swiss Ball during this period were English physical therapists Dr. Elseth Kong and Mary Quentin who, inspired by the Bobath method of stroke/neuro-developmental rehabilitation, developed pediatric neurological rehab programs using ‘Pezzi’ Balls.

Okay okay okay…But how did the ‘Pezzi’ Ball become the Swiss Ball?

Well we have the Americans to thank for that. Following two decades of application in Europe, it was time for the ‘Pezzi’ Ball to make its way to the United States of America. In the 1980s, a number of American physical therapists visited Europe, specifically Switzerland, in the hope of examining and learning European methods of rehabilitation. Among the vast number of approaches used, those using the ‘Pezzi Ball’ caught the eye of a number of the travelling physical therapists. So impressed were these physical therapists that they brought the ‘Pezzi Ball’ back to the United States to use in their practices. In honour of their journey, they renamed the ‘Pezzi’ Ball the Swiss Ball.

Conni7 Wed 27-Jan-21 15:43:03

Looks like the pilates ball that I fell off.

Skallagrigg Wed 27-Jan-21 18:52:06

DaffyDilly Yes it is the name of a really good book by William Norwood. The story is so good I think it stays with you. Just want to say I don't think you need be to scared of a stability ball, In the class I attended we had mostly ladies of mixed ages the oldest being in her late seventies. It's a shame you cannot find classes like these anymore. Maybe I just have a thing about balls of all shapes and sizes, I'm a big tennis fan too.

Grandma11 Wed 27-Jan-21 22:05:49

They are a popular piece of kit on Maternity Labour wards, the gentil bouncing action helps to get the Labour going into regular strong contractions, and aids the dilation of the Cervix. My Daughter used one when she was struggling to deliver her 10lb 6oz baby Son! It worked and she had a natural birth without any need for intervention for his delivery in the end, despite him being huge!

Blossoming Tue 02-Feb-21 21:46:41

Charleygirl5

Blossoming I have a feeling I would be balancing on the floor and the Swiss ball would be elsewhere- for me it would be lethal.

Funny you should say that, my first sessions ended up with me lying on the floor giggling hysterically! You need a good physio to guide you but it really does make a difference. It’s comfy to sit on too grin