Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

To Gym or Not to Gym?

(37 Posts)
beautybumble Fri 22-Apr-22 12:38:46

Hello beauties. I've been really down in the dumps for quite a while and have been trying to decide whether or not to join something to get fitter. I thought if I can improve my physical health then I'll be happier too. I don't have much but decided to try personal training. The trainer I chose didn't have any spaces and I'm soooo disappointed. I looked elsewhere but they're all more expensive. So now I'm wondering whether or not to join the gym. Do any of you go and if so how do you get on with it? Thank you if you decide to reply.

beautybumble Fri 22-Apr-22 12:39:56

By the way, I'm a 72 year old lady.

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Apr-22 12:42:12

Why not join a walking group or Pilates class. You would then be mixing with other people as well as keeping fit.

AreWeThereYet Fri 22-Apr-22 13:32:38

If I were you I would join a yoga/pilates/aqua aerobics/tai chi class or better still a mix of different ones. You can do them through a gym or at independent classes. They are usually gentle enough for people who have never exercised, there are usually a few beginners so you don't feel like the class dummy and some of ours stayed for a coffee after so we all had a chat and met new people. Win win. Plus you get to see some improvement quite quickly if you go often enough (and actually do the exercises instead of just turning up for class ? )

Visgir1 Fri 22-Apr-22 14:39:57

I have a gym membership and tend to go early morning around 8 am. Its all over 50 's not many younger ones at that time of day.
Great atmosphere and no one to make you feel uncomfortable. As part of the membership I get classes free and use of Pool etc. Mine is only £21 per month its run by the local council with 2 gyms over the local area you can use either.
They also have Gym instructors you can personally hire.
Tbh I have suspended my membership as I've had a knee replacement before Christmas and my Hip replacement is due with luck this summer but I'll be back.
Really miss it.

GagaJo Fri 22-Apr-22 14:51:28

Find a gym that you really like. Maybe one with a pool, or sauna. Try to see it as a treat. Reward yourself with a swim / steam / sauna after exercising.

I used to belong to a gym like this and really wish I could afford it again.

wildswan16 Fri 22-Apr-22 15:08:28

There are cheaper gym options around. I really would not bother with a personal trainer at your stage.

Why not just start by getting used to a regular walk - work up slowly from 30 minutes to an hour, getting faster as you get fitter. Go to your local swimming pool and do a few lengths a couple of times a week.

If you enjoy it and begin to feel the benefit then you can think about going to a gym and maybe some pilates/yoga classes etc.

AreWeThereYet Fri 22-Apr-22 16:12:55

It's true walking would be cheaper. But unless you are really motivated it's a hard thing to do regularly on your own, unless you are reasonably fit anyway and have a few nice walks to choose from. Having a variety of things to choose from can make it a bit more interesting, especially when you are in two minds about whether you even want to do it some days.

You will also find out what you like doing and which group of people you like meeting. Plus the Pilates/Yoga stretches out your muscles and makes you more supple, making the walking easier - a good walk or swim after a Pilates session would be a brilliant thing to do.

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Apr-22 16:29:18

I pay about £44 month gym membership.
This in my head equates to £11 per week.

For this, I do water aerobics , swim , 3 yoga classes and tai chi.
Occasionally use the
sauna /steam room and jacuzzi

For me this is good value.

I have also over the Easter holidays done three family swims in the gym pool with my 2 grandsons.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 22-Apr-22 16:34:23

I haven’t been to the gym for ages, but when I did, it was mostly older people. It was during the day though. We also swim, cycle and walk.

Our leisure centre also does classes. Some on water! Always a great camaraderie with them.

I hope you find something to suit you,

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 22-Apr-22 16:35:07

Some in water ?. We’re not boating!

Mancjules Fri 22-Apr-22 21:45:46

Been doing swimming, aquarobics and every now and then on the machines for 20 years. I'm 66. I have jyst made it part of my routine and enjoy being able to empty my head for a couple of hours. I love walking too but I'm a water baby at heart! I pay £34pm and wouldn't give it up. Good luck.

Mollygo Fri 22-Apr-22 21:48:07

The gym is worthwhile for me. I do aqua fit, aqua aerobics, barre work and occasionally Zumba. The spa and sauna is a great reward. I like the friendship in group activities and meeting up is a great motivator.
More restful is treadmill or exercise bikes-where I can listen to an audiobook or watch the really serious younger members doing swats, press-ups and step classes. If there’s one near, it may be worthwhile.

Luckygirl3 Fri 22-Apr-22 22:23:29

Why not join a walking group? - you would be meeting others and would be outside in the fresh air. Better than a room full of sweaty bodies. And above all you would be doing something normal that your body is designed to do.

I am very wary of repetitive abnormal activities and the detrimental effect these can have on the body - particularly older women's bodies, who will have weaker bones, especially in the spine - any stress there can cause slipped discs and fractured vertebrae.

Walking is good exercise for the muscles, is a weight bearing exercise for your bone health and good lung exercise with fresh air going in rather than hand-me-down sweat!

BigBertha1 Fri 22-Apr-22 22:27:12

I hate the gym so it's golf, walking netball and Walking for me. Lots of other things to try other than the gym.

beautybumble Sat 23-Apr-22 23:34:07

My goodness what a healthy bunch you are? Its good to hear so many of you are making such an effort which is what I hopefully will too. Thank you for your replies. I do walk a lot already, in fact often 5-6 miles a day. Other days maybe 4. I want to be stronger and as I hardly ever have anyone to talk to I thought it would be nice to be where others are for a change. Some of your ideas are good and I'll certainly think more about it. Whatever, I will do more now. Thanks again.

Coral11 Fri 06-May-22 07:31:44

My husband has somehow managed to talk me into going to his gym this morning for a trial, hence I’m reading all I can about over 60’s and gyms (I’m 63) I have two knee replacements and one knee not so good so I thought some muscle building might help strengthen it, I’m really not keen as I don’t have a good range of motion which can’t be improved on now but trying to think positively that’ll it’ll do me some good?‍♀️

karmalady Fri 06-May-22 07:38:44

cycling for me at 74, I don`t need to use my car to get there, no sweaty changing room and piped music. Outside with birds and other passing cyclists and walkers. Cycling rather than walking as I can get moving faster. I always come back satisfied that I have exercised and been in the fresh air and countryside, the endorphins last the whole day

Aveline Fri 06-May-22 07:44:24

I loved aqua aerobics. Such good exercise and joints well supported by the water so it's pretty low impact. I'd really recommend it.
Sadly my local sports club now schedules these classes just too early in the morning for me. I know I'm being silly but the best part of retirement for me is not rushing up and out early in the morning. I suppose the club set this time for people still going to work and needing a really early class.

henetha Fri 06-May-22 10:34:13

I would love to join a particular gym just a few miles from here, it has a pool and hot tubs etc. But I enquired recently and basic membership is £42 per month. I just cannot afford it.
Also, I've done exercises all my life, but how much would my arthritic spine stand now, I wonder. Maybe at 84 I just have to accept the inevitable.

tradermt5 Fri 10-Jun-22 00:37:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Fogler Fri 17-Jun-22 16:17:49

Try to find something with a group of people with similar goals. It makes it easier to stay consistent and you'll probably meet some good people!

varian Fri 17-Jun-22 16:27:47

I don't understand the gym thing. When we were young no-one ever went to a gym after they left school unless they were taking up boxing.

Whiff Fri 17-Jun-22 17:13:34

Fogler try the pears thread we are all about healthy eating and exercise. ?

AreWeThereYet Fri 17-Jun-22 19:08:28

varian

I don't understand the gym thing. When we were young no-one ever went to a gym after they left school unless they were taking up boxing.

When we were young not everyone had cars and lots of people walked a lot more just to get around. Today's sort of gym didn't exist, you went to a gym to do boxing or gymnastics. The only sorts of equipment our school gym had were bars up the walls and a horse to vault over. Certainly no pilates/yoga/dance studio, swimming pool, spa, cafe, cycle studio, weights, rowing machines, cycles, treadmills, cross-trainers.