Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

100% carnivore diet

(108 Posts)
Fleurpepper Wed 26-Jul-23 13:30:24

Just hosted someone (much younger and from different continent so no chance she will read this) - who has adopted 100% no carbs and carnivore diet, + cream and butter.

She has lost half her body weight, as she was morbidly obese and has regained a lot of mobility. But surely this is NOT the wax, for health and environment issues.

Your thoughts?

Norah Thu 27-Jul-23 16:26:09

Germanshepherdsmum

They sound essential with a diet like this!

Indeed.

However, many people take Vitamins/minerals.

C, B12, multi, Calcium, Potassium, D - all spring to mind.

JdotJ Thu 27-Jul-23 16:56:28

I was chatting to a lady I knew vaguely this week who is a great advocate of eating foods, according to your Blood Type'.
I said I was O+ and apparently I should eat lots of red meat (difficult as I'm vegetarian so that's not going to happen) but she also told me NOT to drink orange juice, as very bad for those who are blood type O+

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jul-23 16:59:33

I can imagine my husband loving eating nothing but meat. Unfortunately for him he won’t be getting the chance and I will carry on buying the fruit and veg!

Fleurpepper Thu 27-Jul-23 17:08:30

Never heard of this blood type type diet. Must say I feel a bit dubious, but will have a look.

Anyone else here with the rare blood group AB+?

Fleurpepper Thu 27-Jul-23 17:09:35

GSM, my OH has kidney damage since a strep infection in his early 20s- he is not allowed to eat a lot of protein. So would be very bad for him.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jul-23 17:24:57

And for many others I expect. It’s sensible to follow your doctor’s advice before embarking on an extreme diet.

My husband eats a great deal less meat than he did when I met him, and far more veg!

Tizliz Thu 27-Jul-23 17:31:42

Fleurpepper

Never heard of this blood type type diet. Must say I feel a bit dubious, but will have a look.

I am AB-

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jul-23 17:33:56

JdotJ

I was chatting to a lady I knew vaguely this week who is a great advocate of eating foods, according to your Blood Type'.
I said I was O+ and apparently I should eat lots of red meat (difficult as I'm vegetarian so that's not going to happen) but she also told me NOT to drink orange juice, as very bad for those who are blood type O+

Yes, I've heard of that but not investigated it.

Norah Thu 27-Jul-23 17:43:50

Germanshepherdsmum

I can imagine my husband loving eating nothing but meat. Unfortunately for him he won’t be getting the chance and I will carry on buying the fruit and veg!

We've a family member who prefers scrambled eggs/cheese, toast/butter, coffee/cream, steak/jackets, fish/chips and Scotch - I reckon that will be all be ending quite soon.

The menu will surely begin to encompass much more fruit, veg, smaller amounts of meat/butter/cheese. Likely still Scotch!

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jul-23 17:50:23

We've a family member who prefers scrambled eggs/cheese, toast/butter, coffee/cream, steak/jackets, fish/chips and Scotch - I reckon that will be all be ending quite soon

Why? Is he (I'm imagining it's a he!) not well or very overweight?
Is he happy about that?

Sounds a bit like the diet of a centenarian I knew, apart from the whisky. Add in tea with sugar and an occasional Guinness and it describes the diet well!

If he's getting on a bit why rock the boat.
If on medical advice then worth a try.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jul-23 18:09:52

I sound like a terrible bully! I promise I’m not! But his meat consumption has gradually lessened, and his fruit and veg consumption increased over the course of some 30 years. Though just now while waiting for dinner to cook he liberated the leftover pork chop from the fridge! Doubtless the dog got some too. Well I wasn’t going to eat it!

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jul-23 18:13:13

Germanshepherdsmum

I sound like a terrible bully! I promise I’m not! But his meat consumption has gradually lessened, and his fruit and veg consumption increased over the course of some 30 years. Though just now while waiting for dinner to cook he liberated the leftover pork chop from the fridge! Doubtless the dog got some too. Well I wasn’t going to eat it!

No you don't, when I say "I didn't pick up the broccoli, remind me to get some when we're out" DH would probably say "Do I have to!" 😄
It's the fry-ups, what is it with men and fry-ups?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jul-23 18:25:38

Indeed, some manly thing like barbecues.

growstuff Thu 27-Jul-23 18:27:49

Fleurpepper

I'm AB+ and I think that diet is loony (but what do I know?)

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jul-23 18:28:20

It's the caveman coming out in them, roasting a mammoth steak over the fire.

The women are pounding the grass seeds and nuts, preparing the leaves for a side dish and the berries for pudding.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jul-23 18:36:01

Yes, that’s it. Throwbacks?

Casdon Thu 27-Jul-23 18:36:02

It’s Three Steaks Pam.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8y3fbk1qC0

Farzanah Thu 27-Jul-23 18:42:16

Germanshepherdsmum

Mine too GSM but I have gradually weaned him off. His father died of heart attack at 48, and OH is still alive, thanks to me 😀.
Although I do think obesity is not just down to diet but genes play a part.
We can be very judgmental about fat people but so many factors anre involved and evidence shows that short fad diets don’t work long term unfortunately.

M0nica Fri 28-Jul-23 08:23:47

The blood type diet has been around for about a decade or more. It has had lots of publicity with celebrities going on it.

Never tried it.

mistymitts Fri 28-Jul-23 09:16:52

Maybe short term, but in the long term I would not think it to be a healthy option. In my opinion, the best way to loose weight is to eat much smaller portions of a varied diet within an eight hour daily time frame. So fasting for 16 hours a day/night.

farmgran Fri 28-Jul-23 09:54:57

I lost quite a bit of weight simply by giving up bread. I used to eat quite a lot but now I only have it or cakes if I'm eating out. I still have spuds. I've gone from size 16 to 18 down to size 12 to 14.

NanaBabs1 Fri 28-Jul-23 10:07:49

fleurpepper The only time I’ve ever lost a significant amount of weight was on a high protein diet, not Atkins, but similar and promoted by India Knight the journalist. My cholesterol level - always a cause foe concern with my GP - actually went way down, despite all the cream, butter, bacon, eggs etc! I kept my goal weight for a good while but my love of toast and roast potatoes finally proved to strong to resist!

FannyCornforth Fri 28-Jul-23 10:11:10

Aha! So that’s why I’m so fat!

I haven’t touched meat for thirty years…

I knew that there was a sensible explanation 😊

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jul-23 10:15:20

farmgran

I lost quite a bit of weight simply by giving up bread. I used to eat quite a lot but now I only have it or cakes if I'm eating out. I still have spuds. I've gone from size 16 to 18 down to size 12 to 14.

That works for me too.

However, I knew someone years ago who said the only way she could lose weight was to eat a lot of bread!

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jul-23 10:21:09

Casdon

It’s Three Steaks Pam.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8y3fbk1qC0

Thank you for the laugh, Casdon
I'd forgotten that!! Alison Steadman is brilliant

😂😂😂

And who can forget Pamelar and the towels 😂